Mr17Hz

MUSIC and COPYRIGHTS

I wonder if anyone could fill me in on the easiest process to go through to be able to use popular copyrighted songs on edited tandem videos, and then distribute that video for sale or free (such as posting it on a website).

The RRIA's website is retarded. All it does is try to scare you into not pirating music but then does little to help find how to purchase music for distribution or for the use in a promotional video. Maybe I’m just looking in the incorrect areas – but I spent 40 minutes on the web looking for this answer.

We all know that many skydiving movies end up with pirated music on them... I've often thought about putting up a site like www.skydivingmovies.com but I fear being sued for movies that others have posted (it happened to youtube).

I would like to help dropzones host edited movies on their website, and to it legit. Currently - the only advice I give professionally is "Find music that is in the public domain."

I would like to be able to show someone the process of buying a license for a song; I know that you can't just buy a CD in the store... but I also know that it shouldn't be THAT difficult or expensive - because all legit juke box companies have to go through the process - especially those new download juke boxes...

If anybody knows how I would pick a song – let’s say freebird for comedic value – and then find out how to purchase a license to use freebird on a promotional video; I would be very interested in the process.
Matt Christenson

[email protected]
http://www.RealDropzone.com - A new breed of dropzone manifest software.

www.ascap.com

While this may not be just what your looking for, I do know that these people got all up the ass of a bar owner I know for playing music in his bar (yes CD owned by him) because it was a live music hall, they even wanted to try to get him to pay royalties for each cover tune palyed in the bar by live bands. He did end up paying a royalites fee to make them go away.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

ASCAP and BMI deal with public performance rights of an artist, which is what this bar owner faced. That's a different set of rights than the reproduction the original poster wants to do. Live bands playing covers at a bar falls under public performance rights of a song as well, the dues of which are paid by the owner of the establishment.

My guess would be that to get the rights to use a song in the skydiving video, you'd have to ask the record company (for the use of the actual recording) and the songwriter (for the use of the song composition) for permission.

www.ascap.com

While this may not be just what your looking for, I do know that these people got all up the ass of a bar owner I know for playing music in his bar (yes CD owned by him) because it was a live music hall, they even wanted to try to get him to pay royalties for each cover tune palyed in the bar by live bands. He did end up paying a royalites fee to make them go away.

ASCAP, BMI, SESAC do not have the right to issue a sync license, allowing music to be synchronized with video. They only deal with performance royalties.
Clearance is very expensive, and not an avenue that the average skydiving videographer/editor will want to pursue.
List of Royalty-Free sources There are a *lot* of free resources there.

Copyright Caveats This should specifically answer most, if not all, of your copyright questions.
HTH

Well you of all people would know, what's up.
I didn't search the net or anything, I just remembered ASCAP giving my bar owner friend a ton of shit for playing CD's in the bar. I have had really good luck finding royalty free music in CD bundles from Ebay, the music I thought would suck real bad is really not bad at all. I got 6 disks for about 35 bucks, I wouldn't use the music on tandem videos, but it works very well for many other productions.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo