genoyamamoto

4-way video: Moving away from wide angle

I'm interested in moving away from wide angle for 4-way video in order to be able to film at a much steeper angle without catching their burble. Anyone out there do this? I'm interested in hearing how you handle the exit timing with the narrower field of view.

Gotta go... plaything needs to spank me
Feel the hate...
Photos here

without a w/a you will limit yourself to a leading exit, and most likely the judges won't see grips on the first formation(s) - until your team is really slow
with a 0.6 on Sony cam (and some practice :P) you can be perfectly steep
but with your 99999 jumps you probably know all that B|

Geno, Pat right there at Elsinore gave me some of he best advice I ever had.

I did half of last season with a .3 and that really forced me to surf the burble, I switched to a .5 later in the season and after the .3 the .5 burble seemed like nothing.

You're so tall, I'd figure you could get back and high enough to go maybe a .7. I'd be interested in how it could be done consistently without one at all.

I started shooting with a fairly long lens, but teams were slower then.

Now I'm shooting a .6 lens and it works well for leaving WITH the team and shooting steep. It took some getting used to since I was that much closer but you get used to it.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Geno.. as you know this weekend I started flying without a wide angle..

I love how it looks WAY better, but you really have to throw yourself away from the formation on exit to get at least the grips in frame. I'd say fly wide angle (.5 or .6) and no wide angle side by side for training jumps for a while and see how it works out for you..

Just make sure you put a UV filter on your video camera to protect the lens.. your camera lens will take a pretty serious beating, and they are a bit more than 60 dollar wide angles

UV filters run for 10 bucks or less on B&H

Iwan

I used a PC 100 (the camera itself is a MUCH longer lens than like a PC10, don't know much about others) with a standard .5 kenko lens. It is about like shooting a PC 10 WITHOUT a wide-lens. I shot a 4th place open and 7th place open team,in '05 and '06 and didn't do too bad with it. It does make the exit more critical.-Tony
My O.C.D. has me chasing a dream my A.D.D. won't let me catch.