DSE

New Sony HDV

No pix yet, but the CES Morning Newspaper has a press release for four new Sony HD camcorders, two of them being HDV. I'll try to grab pix from the show floor.
"HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 – HD video recording on miniDV tapes.

The HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 allow current camcorder users to reuse their existing miniDV tapes to record videos and still images in high definition. User can also switch between recording modes of HDV and DV. The improved performance of ClearVid CMOS sensor lets users take high resolution 6.1 mega pixels (2848 x 2136) of still images with HDR-HC7. With dual recording, the HDR-HC7 can record up to 4.6 mega pixel of still images and up to 2.3 mega pixels for HDR-HC5 while shooting in video mode.

Similar to the HDR-UX7, the HDR-HC7 applies Super SteadyShot(Optical) feature to counter blurry images caused by inevitable movements. Creativity can also be explored with its manual shooting function on the camera control dial that allows the user to shoot in a more creative way and manipulate the shutter speed to produce various effects on the video.

Adopted from the predecessor HDR-HC3, HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 are designed with the 7-degree grip tilt that reduces wrist stress and make extended shooting more comfortable. The frequently used interface elements like the auto pop-up “Intelligent Flash” are located in one line to improve user friendliness. The Picture Motion Browser software is bundled with these 2 models for easy HDV editing.
The HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 will be available late February. "

I was wondering. We cannot use optical image stabilization on HV1 (Canon OIS) for skydiving. How about the optical stabilization on this new HC7? You have jumped FX-7, right. I saw that thread. I believe FX-7 has OIS, also. Not the image sensor stabilization. How did that go?

The HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 allow current camcorder users to reuse their existing miniDV tapes to record videos and still images in high definition.

Im sorry... I dont think I understand this part. Could someone please explain ?

The HC5 does have an LANC, so does the HC7, the HC5 has no mic input, the HC7 does.

both are identical form factors; they're exceptionally similar to the HC3. Biggest difference that skydivers should love, is that the HC7 takes 4.6 MP and the HC5 takes 2.1MP stills, both can take stills while rolling tape.
The stills from the HC7 look very good.
I'm being given a cam for a week following CES, I'll be taking the HC7 for a spin.
Another major change is battery life; the new HC's outlast the HC3 by double.
Both have the updated ClearVid sensor, and they're larger than the HC3, plus the x.v color system, which allows for significantly greater saturation. I don't know if this feature is of benefit or not; doesn't seem initially to be much to get excited about.

the new JVC cams aren't all that exciting, and they can't be jumped anyway.
the Panasonic cams aren't exciting me at all. I put one on my FTP on the show floor and simulated opening shock, and the image fell apart. [:/]
Canon has nothing new in cams, as previously mentioned. There are a few other cams here, but nothing of note. I'll make a better report tomorrow, I only had about 90 mins between teaching sessions today.

Do you own any mini-DV tapes? If so, those would be your existing mini-DV tapes.

Yes. I understand the idea of posessing DV-tapes.

Sony is saying you can use those tapes in the new cameras to record stuff in high def.

I never record new stuff over my old recordings and its funny that Sony sort of recommends this since this is generally not a good idea ...

And also whats the news here.. Ofcourse you can reuse your old DV tapes, why wouldnt you be able to ?

Some notables...
- manual shutter speed adjustment
- focal lengths and shutter speed rates are numerically given
- no aperture control (no surprise)
- manual adjustment of audio levels via the touch screen
- running histogram while shooting
- 'guide frame' checkerboard lines for framing
- external buttons kept to a minimum
- extremely deep battery slot

Someone asked about what being able to use DV tapes meant...it means you can *play* or *capture* your older tapes. It's market-speak for "your DV tapes work in this camcorder too."
No, you shouldn't reuse/re-record over old tape.

The sony site says that the HC7 has optical image stabalization, I'll be interested to see if it works out well in freefall. Please do let us know! :)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony is saying you can use those tapes in the new cameras to record stuff in high def.

I never record new stuff over my old recordings and its funny that Sony sort of recommends this since this is generally not a good idea ...

They are not saying you should record over your old stuff they are saying that if you have a stockpile of 8 boxes of miniDV tapes like we do here. You can still uses them.

I want a HDV7... what is the price tag on one of these bad boys going to be?

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

They are not saying you should record over your old stuff they are saying that if you have a stockpile of 8 boxes of miniDV tapes like we do here. You can still uses them.

I want a HDV7... what is the price tag on one of these bad boys going to be?

Well... I dont think this is really an important issue, but according to my limited knowledge of english I understand the following quote a little different:

(please do pay attention to the bolded words)

"The HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 allow current camcorder users to reuse their existing miniDV tapes to record videos and still images in high definition.

Blue skies !

>"The HDR-HC7 and HDR-HC5 allow current camcorder users to reuse their existing miniDV tapes to record videos and still images in high definition.

Oh. it is unlike a multinational company to not sell new consumables and endorse re using tapes.

strange:S

I am definately interested in one of these.

I did notice that there wasn't an overlap on the feature list for the faders.

this seems strange. I use overlap the most and forget about the gay mosaic fader etc.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Another question,

For taking the stills while rolling would a bite switch be plugeed into the lanc socket? and if so is it possible to run a cam eye and a bite switch at the same time?

if so i'm there with bells on!

If its like everything else Sony you weould have to get a chip designer to physically build you an interface to do it. Its not the easiest thing to do but with enough money I'm sure someone would attempt it for you.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Hey DSE,

I too am interested to know what effect the OIS has on freefall performance. Do you have any idea when you'll be able to get your hands on one for testing? I need to ditch my HC3 but don't want to do so until I know the HC7 is suitable for skydiving.