rhys

lense problem for dv cam

Hi All,

I am filming freestyle skydiving. I am currently using a single filiment lens with no branding/information on it. It was the first lens i ever bought and it was second hand.

I have a Kenko .5 and a Kenko.42 the lens i am using is somewhere between these two in width.

i don't like the kenko .5 because it is too narrow and i don't like the kenko .42 becase it is too 'fish eye'

the width of my un-named lens is perfect and it never seems to fog. But the image is too dark and I cannot use the program AE functions. Even if the sun is on the subjects face the image is too dark.

what is a lens that will suit my needs? I don't mind spending some money as it is for cometition.

thanks for any help.

B|
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have found that you can't trust the numbers on these lenses. Even with different lenses by the same company. I tried a cheap Kenko .5 ($25 to $35) and it wasn't nearly wide enough but the SGW-05Pro is much wider than any other .5 I have seen.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=2102&A=details&Q=&sku=262059&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
This is my favorite lens so far but any lens you try is going to be something of a gamble. If you can try some lenses from other jumpers first that would be a plus, otherwise try to buy from places with a liberal return policy and be careful not to make any marks on them. There are much more expensive lenses out there but I haven't tried them after finding this one.

My TRV is also wider by itself than my wifes PC101 so cameras vary too. I am not sure there is a "silver bullet" in this case. Good luck.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

I know what you mean about the TRV. i used tohave a TRV18 and it was much wider than most of the PC's except the PC9.

What is so pro about this lens that makes it more expensive? it is still not much. my friend had one a couple of years back and she had no problems with it.
Is the glass better?

If you say it is wider than the cheaper Kenko.5 then i will try it out.

The .43 has too much fish eye, looks good for some shots but tweaks others too much.

thanks for your help though guys.

;)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I think the "pro" comes from a combo of better glass, wider front glass for more light, and front threads for a filter. I stopped using the filter due to the reflected "ghost" from the extra glass layer if you are facing the light source.

I really like mine and it is considerably wider.

If you don't like it as a primary it would still be an awesome back-up.

Sounds like me.

Im ordering one very soon. thanx;)

i'll let you know how it goes! were you using a polarizing filter?

I used a circular polarizing filter for a while in bright light but stopped after a couple of busy days when I still had it on at sunset. (a bit dark for my taste) I went to UV and then had the lens flare issue. Now I just jump the lens naked.