PhreeZone

How much post processing do you do before submitting photos?

For those of you that submit photos to Parachutist/Skydiving/BPA mag, etc how much post processing do you put into an image? Do you adjust the colors or crop it at all or do you leave that up to the magazine to figure out on their own?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I shoot in RAW so I have to post process.
Normally I make them just a little lighter than I would use, due to the printing technology they use.
I noticed the pictures are normally darker in the magazines. The colors... sometimes you just lucky sometimes not... The whole 2007 USPA calendar is purple instead of blue. I also send TIFF files in most cases.
-Laszlo-
www.laszloimage.com

The whole 2007 USPA calendar is purple instead of blue.[/url]

The cover shot I got in June was turned purple, dark, and grainy. :( I had somebody from Eloy email me and say I needed a new camera. :D

On topic, I adjust colors/contrast and crop a bit, and sometimes add a bit sharpening at full scale.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I also send TIFF files in most cases.

I assume you do that so that the so that the images can stay in 16 bits/channel in lieu of 8 bits/channel?

or is there another reason?

Oh, and Eric I got a really good book on editing raw photos... :)
edited to add: I can't answer your question yet cause I haven't actually felt like anything I've taken so far is good enough to send in to a Magizne... :$
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I normally send 8bit/color channel TIFF's. The reason is I noticed some computers and softwares can't handle the 16bit. But the 8bit TIFF is still uncompressed vs. JPEGs so if they make any changes it can still preserve a better quality.
But you never know... if you check out the Jump Shack Fire Bolt ad in Parachutist you'll see a lot of JPEG degradation in the picture. I sent that file in TIFF. But I assume when Jump Shack (or whoever)
made the changes like putting text in it they re-saved it in a smaller res. and well compressed JPEG so it's easier to send it out in e-mail (but this is only my guess based on looking at the Parachutist print and comparing to mine...)
-Laszlo-