Katzeye

Semi-extreme sport camera setup

Kinda off-topic, so mods feel free to move/delete/lock this thread if I'm way off base.

I used to skydive and now am involved in equestrian sports. And of COURSE I wanted to come to the best of the best for help (that would be ya'll).

I'm trying to figure out how to do video from horseback for events, trail rides, lessons, etc.

I was researching wireless cameras just so I wouldn't have to wear the whole rig on my head, on horseback we have the luxury of saddle bags.

What would you guys and gals recommend I explore? Go with the traditional skydiving setup with the video on my helmet or try out a lipstick cam and feed to the saddlebag?

Another challenge is that I would be filming for way more than the average skydive. Possibly up to an hour at a time. What about battery? HD storage?

I read some of the camera recommendations and it sounds like I shoud go digital as I don't have to worry about extreme temperatures or pressures. Unless the horse sits on it. :D

Lastly, how do I even start modifying my helmet for camera?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Nice work but is it really a joke? A bullet cam on the horse's brow band would not be hard to set up, and the cable to the saddle bag would not have to be disconnected each time you dismounted. A video from the horses perspective may be neat, although possibly scary in some of the cross country riding I have done:S

In this case a pommel bag may even work better: shorter cable and easy to get to.

"Lastly, how do I even start modifying my helmet for camera?"

http://wuza.net/index.php?p=articles&mode=view&id=33

It's in French, but you get the point.
it deosn't mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm.

A couple things, off the top of my head:

First is perspective. You're going to see a LOT of bouncing from normal movement of the horse. Your brain filters it out, but it'll be there on the tape and can, in some instances, make people motion sick.

Second is attachments. You could jury rig a bullet cam on the bridle, but then the first problem would be exaggerated by the horse's head movements as well as by the normal body movement up and down.

There's also the problem of the camera cord - how are you going to attach it to keep it from flopping around and not spook the horse or give it false signals (if you neckrein)?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Actually, a steadicam mounted to the swell is the "best" way to do this, but definitely not for the casual shooter.
That aside, anything you attempt to shoot on horseback needs to be wide lens, OIS with wide options. We've shot some stuff with wide and neck roller with an FTP, and it works marginally well, but dangerous. We've rodeo'd bullet cams woven into horse hair and it's worked OK for catching the rider, but that's an oddity rather than a commonality.

Thanks for all the input - especially the "horse cam" :o :D:D

I'll keep plugging away on the bullet cam idea. I never considered having the horse wear the camera, only myself. The bulletcam seems the way to go for that.

Thanks and happy trails!

Is a chicken omelette redundant?