LouDiamond

Camera Armor

i like the idea of it... but do you really think it's going to do much good?

i mean, it's cheap enough i guess... but what kind of protection is it really going to offer?

why not just build or buy a dbox?

a condom is not going to protect your lense mount on a hard opening or impact.

just some thoughts.

The rubber itself is pretty meaty without being overly stiff. You can still manipulate buttons and wheels with it on. I wouldn't even consider it a condom as neoprene is far thinner and less shock absorbing than the armor. I don't know anyone who uses an actual box for a digital still camera. Besides being an aerodynamic brick, a box would make it hard to Download or remove the camera when not in use.

The Armor IMO falls between having nothing on the camera and a box/roll type cage. Most of the higher end DSLRs can handle an accidental drop without damage but the plastic body 300-400 D models may not fair as well. With Armor on, they would stand a better chance without a doubt. It will definately handle the usual bumps and knocks a camera will see when on a DZ.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

fair enough.

I don't know anyone who uses an actual box for a digital still camera. Besides being an aerodynamic brick, a box would make it hard to Download or remove the camera when not in use.

remind me to show you mine the next time you're at Raeford.;) no additional troubles.

I received my new black camera armor today from the ebay vendor that you posted earlier. I ordered it Mon. night and paid $48.88 with free shipping.

I was pleased with the transaction and would recommend this seller to anyone looking for this product.

I am really pleased with the product and I think it will work well to keep this camera from getting scratched up like my old 300d is. I don't intend to use the lens hood because #1 it won't work with the cradle that I have under my lens and #2 I think it would just flutter until it blew off in freefall unless you taped it on (forget that idea, tape won't stick to this thing :o). As someone else said I will probably cut the hot shoe cover off to keep it from flopping around.

Thanks for all your help. I can't wait to try it out in the air.

Blue Skies,

Jason

I jumped mine today, the way the Armor surrounds the on off switch made it a challenge to manipulate, I was wearing gloves, which did NOT help, so the selector switch also moved when I turned it on. Not all shots were lost, but it was cumbersome enough for me to take it off for the second TM video with stills I shot today.

I still think it is a great product, just not right for all occasions.

stay safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I made my first jump with it last saturday (yay, finally decent weather!). During exit and under canopy I can feel the camera's shutter when taking a photo. I couldn't, now :o So I took loads of pics of the ground trying to see if the camera was working or not. Duh, I just coated it with rubber :S:D
Don't like this side-effect though [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Bringing up an old thread as I don't see Camera Armor set for the T1i specifically.

Looks like the version for Canon Rebel XSi/450D is the same. Anybody tried to get the T1i into the camera Armor and if so which one? I think the XSi version is correct but if you know or have it give a shout!

Thanks,
Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I've been using Camera Armor for my 20D and 5D for about a year.

It works very well which is clear when you compare the condition of my two 20D's. One was used for a year without it and the other has always had it on.

The flash works fine on the 20D's.

It does tend to trap grit in places and it tends to move so that the buttons missalign but neither of these things has caused a big problem for me.

I own a t1i and have the xti armor for it. It fits fine, but it does not seem like the armor fits tight enough for freefall wind speeds. Does anyone have any experience with armor moving around in freefall or any tricks to prevent this?
Indoor Skydiving Source - The Leading Indoor Skydiving Resource

I have never noticed any negative effects of having the armor on the camera body while in freefall. Likewise, I've never felt it moving around. If it does move around it doesn't affect the cameras operation.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING