LouDiamond

Camera Armor

I just saw this stuff on a camera down at the local photo shop and I must say I am pretty impressed with it for what it does and the relative low cost($35.00). It looks like it would hold up well and do the job although I don't see using the lens armor part while skydiving. I am really impressed with the LCD protection it provides. So has anyone actualy used Camera armor while skydiving? Additional info here
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I had looked at this stuff before and noted the XTi but have not found it for the XT. I thought the XTi wahad a bigger LCD but maybe the XTi armor would work on an plain old XT?? Anybody know?

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I want to try this product as well on my new XTi. Where can you get it for $35? B&H and Ritz are $50.

Thanks,

Jason

All the ones they had in my local store were priced at $34.95. I do not remember if that included the XTi or XT models. I ordered one for my 5D so I will see what they cost when I go back and if they have them for those models.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

B&H is showing the one for the XTi as back ordered and the only one I can find on Ritz now is for a Nikon D80, both are $50. B&H does show the 5D version on back order as well http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=Search&A=details&Q=&sku=465473&is=REG&addedTroughType=search but it lists for $59.95. I guess they figure if you can afford a 5D, what's another $60.;)

If your local shop has one for an XTi in stock, please find out how I can order one online or via telephone and let me know.

Thanks,

Jason

Sorry, all they have at the moment is armor for a D30, all the others are for Nikon.

Edit: E-bay has some camera armor for the XTi http://cgi.ebay.com/Camera-Armor-Protective-Skin-CANON-Rebel-XTi-Free-Ship_W0QQitemZ150080441885QQihZ005QQcategoryZ147173QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Thanks for checking on that for me. It looks like no one has the XTi or 5d versions in stock right now. Some dealers list them as back ordered, others list as special order and one even lists as overdue from manufacturer.

I did e-mail that ebay seller to find out if they actually have that one in stock before I buy it.

Thanks again,

Jason

I got the armor for both my D70s and my D80. 50 USD each though. Amazon DE sells it but didn't have it for all camera's and Amazon UK didnt carray it at all so we ordered from B&H (Amazon USA won't send stuff like that to europe). The D200 armor is back ordered though.

Haven't used the armor for skydiving yet because of the $%^&* weather here (storms!) [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Was actually considering the need for this 'armor' this weekend for the first time. Our school just went completely digital this year and I'm using my 300D.

The camera has worked great on every fun jump I've taken it on the past couple of years, including yesterday. However, it was -really- cold at altitude yesterday. Not sure if it was the cold or what, but the battery showed that it was about to die (on a fully charged battery).

This was on the way up and at altitude, but when we got back down (where it was warmer) the battery said it was fully charged again. :S

No harm, no foul, but it really had me worried. On a fun jump I wouldn't care if the battery went out. On a paid jump, a tandem's first experience of freefall, it would really suck if that happened.

You think the cold had anything to do with this? You think the 'armor' would prevent this at all? Or, if it -was- the temperature...is cold just cold no matter what you do (other than putting the camera in your jumpsuit to keep warm).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have not set eyes on the armor yet, but it seems more bump protection than anything.

If you get a chance, run down to the camera shop on Sycamore dairy(cross Bragg Blvd into the shopping center) and check it out. They have it in stock for some strange camera called "NIKON":P The camera armor covers everything(LCD, etc) except the bottom of the camera and the actual lens. It's kind of like Neptune armor for your camera. I don't think there is anything out there that will keep batteries from going tits up in the cold short of holding them in your arm pits right until you need them. Remember them days Arvel?;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I don't think there is anything out there that will keep batteries from going tits up in the cold short of holding them in your arm pits right until you need them.

Yep. Mountain climbers seem to have this joy as well....

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Here you go.

I think it is a pretty cool product, however; I am not sure how it will hold up to Free Fall speeds. It will be great for the outdoor shooter who takes their camera everywhere. Also all the buttons work thru the cover.

I do see the potiential for dirt and what ever to get under it and act as an abrasive to the body.

It went on easy, did not even have to remove lens, however; as you can see it did not fit so well around my GM baseplate.

My 2 Cents.

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

I am not sure how it will hold up to Free Fall speeds

Thats what I was wondering but it looks very snug on your camera. My guess is it won't be an issue.

I do see the potiential for dirt and what ever to get under it and act as an abrasive to the body.

Well I've told you many times already to stop throwing your camera in the dirt:P

as you can see it did not fit so well around my GM baseplate.

That's why they make Exacto knives my friend;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING