monkycndo

Choosing a CF card for the xti

I just got my new xti that I ordered. (Yes, I just finished fondling it). I am checking the different CF cards and am looking for all ya'alls experience with the cards you are using.

Lexar has a 133X card.
Sandisk has the Ultra2 and Extreme around 60X-80X.
Kingston is another option.
Then knock offs up to 150X.

Is the Sandisk Extreme a good idea due to the environment we jump in (but slower write speed) or is the write speed more important?

What do you use and why?
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Congrats on the camera Sean.

Check out this page - it is an AMAZING resource. This guy has run actual data write speed tests on a multitude of cameras with virtually every major CF card on the market. I linked to the page for XT tests (I'd assume XTi is comparable).

What you will see is that the Extreme3 has no real speed gain over the Ultra2, despite the higher capability. I'm not sure for the exact technical reason for this, probably something to do with the limitations of the camera itself. But the bottom line is that you'll be wasting money if you get the Extreme3. Go with the Ultra2... I have a 2GB and it is great. Search pricegrabber.com for a good price... make sure to buy from a seller with positive ratings. I think I got mine from zipzoomfly.com, they are very reliable, I've ordered camera and computer stuff from them a dozen times.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The only brand of card on your list that I have never had problems with is Sandisk. I have used a buncha different ones and never ran into a problem. The others I have had some problem with at one point or another.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

With most "modern" CF cards, you'll find yourself limited more by the throughput of the camera than by the card.

I'm using 2Gb RiData CF cards in my 30D and having no problems at all - they'll keep up with 10 shot RAW bursts until the buffer on the camera fills up.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706