skymick

Sony HC-32 or HC-42?

I'm looking at a reasonably cheap camera setup - mainly for tandem/general use. I have decided to stick with Sony but considering they no longer make cams with a LANC port I am finding it a pain to source an older model however I have found a HC-32 slightly used on ebay for $300(AU) but there are a few days left on the auction so I'm guessing it will go for around $400. Otherwise a local shop is clearing out a HC42 for $691(AU). The main difference between the two is the CCD size; the 32 has a 1/6' CCD with 680k pixels and the 42 has a 1/5.5' CCD with 1070k pixels.

Does the extra size of the CCD make any noticeable difference in the real world? If so what do you think about forking out the extra $$$ for the H-42?

Cheers

Mick

Sony still builds cams with LANC port, only certain, lower end models don't carry them due to licensing costs.
Yes, the larger CCD makes a significant difference once you get larger than 1/6, but from 1/6 to 1/5, you'll not notice a huge diff, not with the light we have available for skydiving. But...the more pixels, the cleaner the image can be.
You can't find a 100 series cam anywhere to give you a LANC?

The biggest difference is a 42 shoots in 16:9 widescreen and is worth the extra cost. I been using one for years and was pleased enough with it that when it finally wore it out I ebayed for another. The 42 can take an insane amount of abuse.
-B
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.