tsalen

canon digital eos xti

i want to get a canon xti, does anyone have this camera, and if so is it produce excellent skydiving photos??

It all depends on who is handling the camera from what I have heard.. :P

The Xti will produce amazing skydiving photos in the right hands, in fact I've already seen several people jump it and I am impressed with the image quality!

It is awesome. Attach to helmet, line the bugger up. Autofocus, sports mode, 18mm and off you go. OK so the camera may take a fraction of a second to focus but its WAY good enough for me. I have had some awsome results with it on the ground, under canopy and in freefall. Exits are great, just chomp on the switch!!

If you know what you are doing with a camera, chances are this thing will make you look even better

Autofocus, sports mode, 18mm and off you go

If you know what you are doing with a camera, chances are this thing will make you look even better

The first day I had my XT, about 6 months ago, I shot in sports mode. The next week I started using the semi-manual (priority) settings. I'm not claiming to be a pro with my camera, but I will say the images from that first weekend (in sports mode) look 10x worse than anything else I've shot since then. Take more control of your pictures now, just say no to sports mode! :P

There are applications where you'll need a high shutter speed (like this shot which is not nearly as good as I was hoping for, but it's a start), but for most of your shots you won't, and you'll benefit from a lower ISO and higher DOF if you control your aperture. I don't remember exactly what settings the sports mode used, but I'm assuming it was high shutter speed and high ISO.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

all our Canon Dig photos have what they call "metadata", this is data about the data of the picture. If you open any of your Dig Rebal pictures in the Canon software or Adobe CS you will have access to all the information about the data of the data that was present during the shot :S

I may not be making much sense, but check out the Canon software, it will guide you too all the information about your pictures.

Stay Safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

all our Canon Dig photos have what they call "metadata", this is data about the data of the picture. If you open any of your Dig Rebal pictures in the Canon software or Adobe CS you will have access to all the information about the data of the data that was present during the shot :S

Yeh, I know how to look at EXIF data... I was just saying I don't remember off the top of my head the exact settings that the "Sport Mode" employs... and was too lazy to go check! (and still am :P)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Take more control of your pictures now, just say no to sports mode! :P

Amen to that, bro!

The more you learn about your camera and the theory behind photography, the better your shots will be (well, there is an artistic side too, but in general...)

Yes, the 400D is an excellent camera to use as a first digital SLR.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Yeh, I know how to look at EXIF data... I was just saying I don't remember off the top of my head the exact settings that the "Sport Mode" employs... and was too lazy to go check! (and still am )

Off the top of my head, is sets to ISO1600 ,AI servo and burst mode. I can't remember if it sets aperature and shutter speed
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I would assume that something called "Sports Mode" would be pretty pointless if it did not preset a high shutter speed (considering their intended use of a sports mode). I seem to remember a high shutter speed, high ISO (as you stated) and very large aperture. Which are not really optimal for most skydiving conditions.

Normal "sports" shots will differ significantly from most aerial skydiving shots. Our subjects are usually relatively static, and we have a LOT of light available.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Which are not really optimal for most skydiving conditions.

no kidding... I usually shoot in Tv mode with a speed of 1/200-1/400 depending on the light... I also usually have my ISO set @ 100 or 200... and occasionally I'll put it on 400.

I'm generally shooting for an f-stop of f/8-11 and set my focus to about 2 meters...

During daylight hours that works pretty well... and at sunset I've advised a friend of mine to shoot at full manual (to get a silluette w/the sunset in the background... :)
of course I've taken a photography class or two so I've got a reasonable understanding of these things... :D:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

of course I've taken a photography class or two so I've got a reasonable understanding of these things... :D:D

THANK YOU!!!

Too many people think slapping a camera on your helmet makes you a photographer..
A class is a bonus, but I wish more people would go and read up on basic photography before putting a camera on their heads and asking the same questions over and over on here all the time.. :P

THANK YOU!!!

Too many people think slapping a camera on your helmet makes you a photographer..
A class is a bonus, but I wish more people would go and read up on basic photography before putting a camera on their heads and asking the same questions over and over on here all the time.. :P

I took one as an elective in college and started shooting Photographs with an old Pentax Spotmatic F this is a camera that requires you to know what's going on... full manual controls and the light meter consists of a little wand that moves up and down... you adjust the speed or appeture to get it centered

Of course using the light meter is optional as the camera is fully mechanical and can be used in conjutction with an external light meter just as easily... B|:D
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I just went out the other week and spent $40 at a used book store to pick up some photography book. GREAT idea, I've learned more in reading about the relationship between appature, shutter, ISO, and hyperfocal there then I ever got from a website.

Now I am playing with the camera more and getting lots of different creative ideas. Not all will work in the air but oh well, its fun to learn sometimes! :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

GREAT idea, I've learned more in reading about the relationship between appature, shutter, ISO, and hyperfocal there then I ever got from a website.

To be fair, there are a great deal of articles on the interweb explaining a lot about the basics of photography. ;) I'd imagine a good book would be even better though. I've also learned a lot of cool digital editing tricks from the web too (no, I am not confusing post-processing with real photography, but I do think it is important).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I normally shoot between 1/200 and 1/320 in free fall (1/320 when I free fly). If go any faster I have to use "high speed sync" on the flash which gives me lot less power.
The attached pic was photo finish in March 06,
I used 1/200 shutter speed on my XT
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

I just went out the other week and spent $40 at a used book store........

Thats good but for anyone else out there that wants to learn how to use a Canon EOS SLR (that's most of us because Canon has proven its self over the years as the best in our sport) I urge you to go here for free:

CLICKY

It has a tone of information to read but it is orginized in smaller hyper links. I sucked the entire site down and popped a rheam of paper in my printer and made a binder of it. This is a general FAQ and learning tool but since Canon comes out with a new design or camera every 4 months or so the newest models are not listed but digial camera information stays the same. I bought my 20D in March of this year and since then, Canon has come out with thier 30D, 400D (Rebel XTi) and the 40D is due out at their next photo event. Sorry Nikon, your only new show this year is the D80 :(

I haven't shot skydiving yet but I am a semi pro photographer. I shoot alot of extreme sports and wildlife. I have tried other rebel digitals and I just don't think the auto focus is fast enough. I shoot an eos 1 film and a 20d and even the 20d is sometimes slower to focus than I would like. especially if you aren't shooting a usm lens. anyhow wondering what peoples thoughts are on the xti that have used it.

In reality most things skydiving in freefall should'nt need to use much autofocus and I know a lot of people just lock the focus in and use the Hyperfocal points to get things in focus. The XTi is great for skydiving due to its lower weight on your head then the 1Ds and things.

For swooping and things like that USM lenses are the best option but even on cheap glass I don't tend to have issues on my 10D but then again I don't have long glass, only short zoom stuff.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com