Peej

TDK DV Tapes

Have you guys heard anything bad about TDK DV tapes? One of the vidiots i work with told me that you should never use them in your camera as they are known for making the heads dirty.

Now as luck would have it two days before he told me this i was in a store and all they had was TDK's and i bought a 10 pack. Should i take them back and change them (the box isn't open) or just use them?

Thanks

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I also hear all kinds of rumors like: You should only stick to one brand of DV tapes not to make the heads dirty. Other people only accept sony DV tapes to their camera. I have not yet heard any reasonable argumets to support these statements.

Cool, thanks guys! :)
I was a bit lazy and only remembered to do a search after i'd made the post, some of the search results make for some interesting reading:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_7&search_string=TDK&search_type=AND&search_fields=sb&search_time=&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

It was more the info that i gleaned from reading them all...

What i gather is a lot of people reckon they'll only use Sony Tapes purely because they are the highest qualty and their cameras are made by Sony.

Others say that choosing one brand of DV tape and sticking to it is the way to go. From what i could gather a lot of vidiots reckon that it's constantly switching between different types of tapes that really gums up the heads of your camera - leading to having to skim them regularly.

I must say i'm a little confused as to what to do now, i rang the store where i got the tapes from, explained what i've heard and asked if i could change them for Sonys. They guy in charge of the camera dept there told me he doesn't stock Sony.

I mentioned what i'd read and heard about TDK's and his response was that all DV tapes work the same, it's all about how taught the tape is in the camera, he reckoned that as long as you put a new tape in, wind it all the way to the end and rewind it before use, you're good to go.

At the moment i'm halfway through a box of Sony tapes so what i think i'm going to do is just keep using Sonys and maybe try and unload these somehow. :S

BUT I'd like to hear more opinions once the guys like Deuce, Quade and a lot of the other really experienced vidiots get online.

i make a point to only use Sony tapes in my cameras (all Sony's), to the point that I would rather buy my own tapes to use in a works camera rather than use the Panasonic ones we got free through the system.

I personally have had issue s with Pan tapes leaving deposits on my tape heads on more than one occasion.

Since I have been faithful to Sony I have had no further probs (touch wood)

I must admit I am one of those tape Nazi's that wont let any other brand near my cams and delight in passing on my adice to other camera flyers.

FWI most of the "pro" camera flyers at my DZ use Sony tapes, and spookily we all have the same setups HC1 + 400D mmmmmm nice

Buzz
xxxx
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Thanks for your advice :)

I asked mostly because my 109 kept telling me that the heads were dirty the other day. Thank goodness it decided this as i started to film the tandems landing and not during the skydive.

I was using Sony tapes so i used a dry head cleaner tape and skimmed the heads, then put the tape back and it did it again. Eventually i just started a new tape and it was ok after that. Come to think of it though, i used 5 JVC tapes in a row, now Sony, maybe that has something to do with it? Like i said i think i will stick with Sony from here on in.

I've always used Panasonic tapes (about $2.50 a tape) and have been adamant about not using any other tape in any of my sony cameras, never had a problem with drop out or lines.

Here and here are some good articles on switching tapes.

Mmmmmm I see a pattern here.

Methinks it may be more to do with keeping to the same brand of tape as opposed to a specific brand being worse than others.

I did forget to add that if you have dirty heads the chances are the tape will be contaminated so once you have cleaned the heads put a fresh tape in. I learned that one from experience :S

Buzz
xxx
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Mmmmmm I see a pattern here.

Methinks it may be more to do with keeping to the same brand of tape as opposed to a specific brand being worse than others.

Agreed.

I did forget to add that if you have dirty heads the chances are the tape will be contaminated so once you have cleaned the heads put a fresh tape in. I learned that one from experience :S

Yup, that one got me on the weekend :S

I have to agree with Miami. I never had a problem using Panasonic (also I like their 80 min tapes) or other brands than Sony. Matter of the fact is I'v been using Sony tapes at the time when I had to send out my VX-2000 for head cleaning and aligment (but I don't say it had anything to do with the tapes). Normally dirt is coming from outside, not from the tape so the best solution is to keep the dirt outside. I usually put gaffers tape around the casette tray's seems and it helps. (I agree it's more pain when you need to chage tape).
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

I usually put gaffers tape around the casette tray's seems and it helps.

i don't think its a good idea because the glue substance from the gaffer may melt in hot conditions or under the direct sunlight
the results are ugly

I usually put gaffers tape around the casette tray's seems and it helps.

i don't think its a good idea because the glue substance from the gaffer may melt in hot conditions or under the direct sunlight
the results are ugly

If you're leaving your camera someplace to get hot enough to melt the glue on gaffers tape then tape residue is not your biggest concern. As long as you are using good quality gaffers (not duct tape!) you should not have problems with tape residue. Direct sunlight (uv rays) should not affect gaffers tape in the way we are talking of using it (you don't leave your camera out in the sun all day do you?).

Maybe someone from an area that might present the most extreme of conditions...bone dry and blistering hot (Arizona/Texas) can comment on this though. I've mainly jumped in areas that have some humidity so my experience may be a little different.
Miami

I have always and only used TDK tapes from Costco.

No problems. If the dubber's gear is dirty with only Sony tapes, you may have problems, but it is caused by OTHER dirty equipment, not TDK tapes, in my somewhat considerable experience.

When mini dv first hit the sport I bought a 3 chip camera (big bucks then) I mixed tape types and after about a year started to have problems with dirty heads.
The tech who sorted it showed me the crap that had built up in the camera from the tapes.
He said all taped have a type of emulsion on them as there played small amounts is left on the heads the problems start when you use different makes of tapes and the emulsions mix this then clogs the heads which causes problems.
Since then I have stuck to Sony tapes and have had no problems with dirty heads and have never had to use a head cleaner while others seem to mix tapes and constantly have problems.

The tape is the cheapest part of your kit but one of the most important parts so why would you risk screwing up footage for a couple of buck’s false economy in my books.