parasale

Loop Recorder and New Vector riser coveres

From Bill Booth in one of the threads posted about the covers: "Our magnetic risers covers have been tested with Cypres and Vigil, Pro-Tracs, digital cameras, and even pacemakers. So far, no damage. You should, however, keep them at least 6'' away from the aircraft compass."

Here is the linkage:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2461208;search_string=Magnetic%20Risers;#2461208

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Yeah, everyone saw that.
I want to know if the loop recorder that they mention in the ad (the list of devices that the magnets they use can affect) include digital camcorders or not. NOT digital still camera. The ones that uses tapes (magnets).

Lets keep this civil. Only one thread needs to be going about a topic at one time. Multiple threads only dilute the conversation and cause issues later.

In this case RWS has stated they have tested with MiniDV cameras (MiniDV is a digital format) and have not seen issues. That does not mean you may not experience issues if you stick your tapes right on the magnets, it means in their testing no issues were discovered.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

. That does not mean you may not experience issues if you stick your tapes right on the magnets, it means in their testing no issues were discovered.

Unless they release the methodology for testing, I would assume that if you put a magnet near a magnetic tape (digital or not) it may have undesired consequences. so my take would be dont place them too close. on your head in an upright positions is probably fine, leaning with your head to the side and resting the camera on the magnets
or placing you camera on the ground/floors next to the magnets will possible adversely effect your tapes.

Use that rare commodity, common sense, when dealing with magnets and electronics of any sort
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?