Niklasp

Witch lens for canon 400D

Im new to this still photo stuff. Think im going to buy the 400D.

What wideangle lens can you recommend. Guess im looking for something that is similar to a. 0.45-0.6ish in video. or?

Can anyone recommend a lens for all-round freefall and mayby even a link :)
Thanks

The kit lens (18-55mm) which comes with the 400D matches up pretty good with a .45 lens, works sweet. Not as good as some of the wider angle lenses but is cheaper and does the job still...

My PC107 has about the same image angle as a 43mm lens on a 35mm camera. With Sony's 0625 converter (a 0.6x converter), it then becomes about the same as a 26mm lens on a 35mm camera. With a proper 0.45 converter it would become 19mm. The Canon kit lens at 18mm has the same image angle as a 29mm on a 35mm camera (there's a 1.6 factor between the 400D's image sensor and the full 35mm sensor, making the image angle wider), so one need a 12mm lens to get the same image angle as a proper 0.45 converter on a PC107. The DCR-PC5 and DCR-PC9's image is slightly wider, 42mm in 35mm terms, but the end result is about the same (11.8mm focal length is needed).

A few converters are incorrectly labeled. If you have a stepring inbetween the converter and the camera, it will also change the convertion factor. If you want the exact same image angle, borrow a Canon 10-22mm and adjust until you get the same image angle, then you know the focal length you want and can choose a lense (fixed or zoom) that match.

Edited to also answer the OP:

I'd go for a Canon EF-S 10-22/f3.5-4.5, it is fast, light (340g) and generally a really good zoom lens. Its a bit expensive though.

Cheaper zoom lenses to examine are:
Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24/4,0 DX
Tamron AF SP 11-18/4,5-5,6 Di II
Sigma EX 10-20/4,0-5,6 DC HSM

Search the net for reviews. A friend of mine is very happy with his Tamron for his Nikon. It is also quite light (355g).

You could also go for a fixed lense, they generally need less light, are smaller and are better at handling direct sunlight on them, but the ones I've seen that are non-fisheye are quite expensive (Canon's 14/2.8L, Sigma EX 14/2,8 HSM and Tamron AF SP 14/2,8 ASL).

You could also go for a fixed lense, they generally need less light, are smaller and are better at handling direct sunlight on them, but the ones I've seen that are non-fisheye are quite expensive (Canon's 14/2.8L, Sigma EX 14/2,8 HSM and Tamron AF SP 14/2,8 ASL).

Bear in mind that the 15mm "fisheyes" from canon and sigma are not really fisheyes on 1.6 crop factor cameras (300D (Rebel), 350D (Rebel XT), 400D(Rebel XTi), 10D 20D and 30D) They are more just Ultra Wide angles.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Bear in mind that the 15mm "fisheyes" from canon and sigma are not really fisheyes on 1.6 crop factor cameras (300D (Rebel), 350D (Rebel XT), 400D(Rebel XTi), 10D 20D and 30D) They are more just Ultra Wide angles.

Whether or not you want to call it a fisheye, the distortions are still fairly high. See the attached pictures (taken with 350D) from Canon 15mm review on photozone.de.

The Canon 10-22mm has AMAZINGLY low distortions (virtually zero) across the entire zoom range. I just got mine a few days ago and will be trying it out this weekend.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

They're still not straight. Straight lenses (ie the 14mm Canon, 14mm Sigma etc) are way more expensive and unfortunately also heavier.

I really don't like the 15/16mm fisheyes on a digital, so I'll probaby sell my zenitar 16mm since I never use it...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

They're still not straight. Straight lenses (ie the 14mm Canon, 14mm Sigma etc) are way more expensive and unfortunately also heavier.

I really don't like the 15/16mm fisheyes on a digital, so I'll probaby sell my zenitar 16mm since I never use it...

There are computer programs to correct the pictures afterwards, if one wants. I don't have a fisheye, so I've not tried them, but I've heard that they do give really good results.

One extra step in the photography though and I would only take photos in RAW if I were to postprocess them like that...

Yes, I did. Since you mentioned that straight fixed lenses are heavier and more expensive than fisheye fixed, I added that the 10-22 (not fisheyed), while still more expensive, is actually lighter, (and a zoom lens, obviously).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

i have the kit-lens18-55 on my 350d,should be similar,you can have a look as you get back home.

Will surgest wider through.. 15 or 12mm..,i know its critical as i want to be on thouse pictures right:P

My 350d should be ready for jump mode as you visit in dec.

Dont f#ck too many h¤¤kers down there:ph34r:

Give me a shout on msn,i might take a still whith a 0,45 and the 18mm for you..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber