Navarrete7

Reflex? any good?

I'm looking to purchase a used Reflex container with about 600 jumps on it. Any feedback on this type of container system? I've got +40 jumps and looking to put my first Rig together at a resonable price.

Also, If I feel relatively comfortable flying a 220 sized parachute how easy/hard should it be for me to transition to a 190?

Thanks & Blue Skies!

Christian

HI , I bumped down from a 220 to 190 at about 30 jumps. I have a saber2 190 that I load at 1.35 and I can get one more down size on my current container, but that won't be for awhile. My advice is jump one and see how it feels, that is if your instructors give you the go ahead. Your really the only one who can determine your comfort level on the canopy you fly. I have no opinion on reflex as I jump a Infinity which by the way is a kickass container. And as always be wary of advice from the net. good luck;)
blue skies
jerry

what year was the reflex made?? I had one that was pretty nice, I would suggest a different rig wimply because of the pop top on the reserve. some riggers dont like them and the pop top seems to loosen a little bit after a few jumps. do a search on reflex and you will see many views on them...
-yoshi

There are several threads on this subject; do a search if you want to see lots of opinions. Search on both Reflex and Catapult.

My opinion... I had a Reflex and I liked it. It was comfortable, it worked and I thought it looked pretty good too.

Before you buy it be sure that the grommets have been checked/replaced per the service bulletin from 2000 and ask the rigger(s) in your area if they have any issues with packing Reflex's.

A 220 to a 190 isn't too big of a step down depending on how you're loading them. I wouldn't go smaller until you're 100% confident under the 220 instead of just "relatively comfortable."

going from a 220 to a 190 shouldnt be a big deal i though it was fun.and reflex is a pretty good rig just make shure you ask if the gromets have been reset.and have a rigger check it out before you buy it.always get your rigger to check it out before you buy it.the seller shouldnt have a problem with it if he or she does then i wouldnt buy it,there may be a problem with the gear.

Hee! Hee!
Some people get downright religious about Reflexes!
They either love Reflexes or hate them!
Hee! Hee!

Personally I do not see what the fuss is all about.
Yes, I had to learn a couple of tricks to make the pilotchute seat properly, but every rig has its special packing techniques.
It really comes down to the question of whether your local rigger likes Reflexes.

How much would the reflex cost ya? I own one and I like it, but there are better rigs out there. If the price is right, and the local riggers will pack them (find out!), the reflex might be a good choice. Just don't overpay. After buying mine, I realized I could have gotten a brand new Wings (without any options) for about what I payed for a used reflex in colors I didn't even like. Don't rush to buy anything. Search around, and ask the locals about the Reflex. Rigs are very regional and you may be at a disadvantage being the minority if reflexes aren't popular in your area.

Dave

Thanks to everyone for the input so far.

The container is a 98' Reflex and is going for $300. It seems to be in good shape, but since I'd be purchasing it over the internet, it is hard to tell.

I was at my local DZ today and got a few good reviews about the container but nothing really negative other than the "grommet" issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, the rigger can take care of it and modify it accordingly. Correct?

I'm trying to put a rig together under $1000.

Does anyone recommend another "site" that has extensive classifieds such as this one?

Basically I'm looking for a container, chute 190, & square reserve.

Blue Skies!

Christian

The Reflex is a very well designed & made rig. Yes, the grommet issue is one that can be easily inspected for/corrected if it has not been already done. I have @ 500 jumps on mine & have found that it also "wears" very well. If you would like any further, more detailed feedback about the "catapult", rigger packing methods, etc. feel free to PM me & I'd be happy to help/provide whatever I can.

You will find that opinions on ANY rig will vary widely, sometimes to the extreme. Maybe 1st see if any local jumpers own one that you could possibly even try (or at least try on) & then compare the fit, finish & feel side-by-side with some others to maybe help you determine YOUR preference. There are indeed a lot more choices now adays for sure. #1 concern is definitely get a rig which FITS you well. If you are putting a 190 or a 210-220 in this, chances are this is an R-5 which is rather "large" with fairly long legstraps. How tall/big are you? If you have to sinch-in your legstraps excessively on the Reflex, chances are you are not going to like the inconvenience of the excess strap stowage between your legs.

For a 1st Rig, without more 1st hand knowledge and some personal preferences not already know/established, you may want to stick with a local face-toface purchase. But otherwise, this sounds like a very reasonable "deal"!

Good luck.
Blue Skyz,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I am not exactly an appraiser or anything, but from my experience I'll tell you that's an excellent price. Mines a '96 and i payed... more. Too embarrased to even say how much more. Make sure to have it sent to your own rigger for an inspection before you buy.

Dave

This should be a reasonable fit for you then. As Dave points out, assuming the rig is in at least a fair & "serviceable" condition, that price is a heck of a deal as well! ...If you don't take it, maybe PM me with the sellers details & I may consider taking it instead for you (or would that be FROM you?);) as a potential second rig myself.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
BSBD,
-Grant

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I've had a Reflex for about 1200 jumps and I like it a lot. It's easy to repack, it fits me well, it seems to handle canopies from 99 to 150 sq ft with no problems, it gives me good main pin/bridle protection and excellent reserve pin protection, and it wears well.

The container is a 98' Reflex and is going for $300. It seems to be in good shape, but since I'd be purchasing it over the internet, it is hard to tell.

Always make any gear purchase conditional on an inspection by your rigger.

I was at my local DZ today and got a few good reviews about the container but nothing really negative other than the "grommet" issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, the rigger can take care of it and modify it accordingly. Correct?

Yeah there are a couple of service bulletins on it. Find a rigger who is comfortable packing them and you'll be fine.

Yeah, I've put in for the container. I think it's my best bet at the moment. I sure appreciate everyone's input so far. Please continue to add on if anyone else has anything to say pro or con to the container. I can use any and all info I can "get my hands on".

Once I do get the container in (which seems like it won't be for another few weeks, due to shipping and the fact that the seller just recently went on vacation) I'll let evryone know how the whole situation pans-out.

Blue Skies everyone!

Christian

It is kind of like a Ford vs. Chevrolet issue.

Some people hate them and some love them, often for equally goofy reasons. More important than the brand you buy is the condition of the particular rig, and your understanding of both it's limitations and yours.

For what it is worth, my rig is a Reflex that I bought used three years ago. I'm happy with mine.

As a rigger and Non owner of a Reflex, I can add a few cents. Though I'm not really a big fan of the reflex for my personal use, I find them to be well built, and very functional. If you're getting a good deal on it, I'd say it's a good purchase. The ones Ive jumped were very comfortable. Reflexs are rigger and user friendly.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto