dragon2

moisture in lens - help

I just got my new 2nd hand sigma 14mm lens. Cheap, old, well used, and unfortunately, wet. It's got so much moisture inside, it's probably been underwater (seller is a diver, so probably seawater to boot).

What options do I have? Anyone had the same problem? What did you do about it?

So far the seller hasn't responded to my email.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

SIGMA lens rock
what did you pay for it?
SIGMA will give you an estimate to repair

I have the new SIGMA 10mm/20mm and love it

what you payed will determine if you want to pay to have it repaired but DO NOT OPEN IT

talk about small parts..but less parts if it is a fixed lens as vers. auto focus/zoon etc.

if all else fails bake it on lowest temp setting in oven ..say less than 150 degrees F

if it has a plastic body do not do that..daaa

I would send it to SIGMA if it was mine

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

adding to what Phreezone said, if you're sure it's saltwater, you could rinse it with distilled water to make sure all the salt water us gone. It'll probably still need a good cleaning but at least the salt water can't corrode any of the metal inside
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

lets shame the seller

notify ebay or who arranged sale

that really blows

with nothing to loose

silica jell in sealed box#1
low temp oven bake#2
take it apart and wash in clean distilled water#3

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

Seller claims the moisture must've gotten in during shipping :S[:/]B| and advises to leave the lens without lens caps for a while.

Right.... :(:(:(

Guess I'm stuck with it.

They are not that complicated

Contact these people and ask their advice.
They might even send you the repair book - or maybe I was just really nice and she liked me - i'm guessing not.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

PLEASE keep all of us us dated about your lens and what you finally do to fix it.
This could be useful to all of us.
thanks and good luck

I'm sending it to a camera repair guy I got referred to by the seller no less. He seems to be a well known and well regarded guy though. He said he needs to see the lens first before he can tell me more. Keeping my fingers crossed....

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Rinsing in distilled water is right ,but after you rinse with that ,take it directly into alcohol to disperse the water and then let it dry good before doing anything else .
You can do the same thing with video cameras after you take them into the drink at the bridge!!! LMAO!

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

Update:

Yay! Camera repair guy took the lens apart, cleaned and repolished it as best he could. Said there was some rust on the screws. Said it had DEFINATELY been in an underwaterhousinng for a loooong time (repair guy is a diver too apperantly), so seller was not telling the truth, but I gathered that beforehand anyway.

Repair guy said he fixed about 90% of the damage, but I shouldn't have problems with the remaining permanent damage according to him.

He returned the lens after 1 week, with a total bill (including insured shipping) of EUR 80 :)
Haven't jumped it yet just used it on the ground, hope it'll work out as repair guy said ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia