weegegirl

Wide Angle for XT

Okay, I want a wider angle for my XT so I can be tighter and keep the whole shot. What do you guys recommend. Lowest profile is best. Already have too much weight on my neck. My main thing is I'm not able to get great in-the-door shots because I leave front float and I'm too in-their-face.

Should I seak medical help?

That is the one I was talkinga bout. I got mine at www.sigma4less.com Sigma 15mm f/2.8 EX Diagonal Fish-Eye for Canon AF SG15F28CA $384.95 (USD) plus shipping awhile back. I went with them as it was less and they have a lifetime rating of over 9 at resellerrating.com
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9336.html

Dont get me wrong I have bought lots of stuff from B&H but this alternative was a good choice..

Scott
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Kit lens is 18-50mm, the 15 would help some.

Front float is going to be hard to get full shots with anything higher then the 15mm. Post a pic of the 18 and we can see if the 15 is needed or if you are going to have to make the big jump to the 10-22mm
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I'm not sure Liz is getting exactly these kinds of results, but here's what I'm getting with the same set-up.

1 - inside the door of the Pac

2 - outside the Pac
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Here is two with a sigma 20mm fixed.
I'm at the back of the door (otter) NOT on the camera step.
And one in a cessna 182, with the passanger right in front of me appx 3 feet or less.

Edit to add exit from step of 182.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

for an idea of something in between (personally I'd say the 15 is your best bet) here's what I get while standing on the camera step with my 17mm.

Yeah, but I'm wondering how your shots would fare from the "camera step" of a Pac, Scott.
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

Yeah, but I'm wondering how your shots would fare from the "camera step" of a Pac, Scott.

Oh, I'm not suggesting it (Just posting it as an example)... but it does seem to match up to my sony w/a 0.6 wide angle lens.

and keep in mind I generally shoot at a distance of 5-15 ft... ;)

and actually the camera step on Franken otter is pretty far back... (I at least 2-4 ft from Jerry the guy in the door in front of me.)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw the pic, was that the Otter camera step gives you the distance you need to frame those shots well with the kit lens.

So, it looks like there's no getting past this any cheaper than around $400 for a decent lens?

Last year I was at a boogie filming a formation and a friend of mine came along to film too. We had the same settings ,same camera (20D) ,he used a sigma 15 and I used the Canon 15. The results was that the pictures taken with the canon were much sharper.Not sure if he had a problem with this lens in particular but he sold it to get a canon 15mm.
Attached is a picture (and a detailed part of it)taken with the 20D (basicly the same sensor as the xt) and a canon 15mm.
I would spend the extra money, and get the canon.Remember that a good lens ,you can keep for many years ..(unlike the camerabodies).Also if in the future if you want to swich to a camera with a full frame sensor, you can use the 15mm with it , unlike the Canon EF-S 10-22mm which is specificly for the cameras with small sensors.(apart from being more expensive)
Also the 15mm lens is really compact and not heavy .When used on a 20d,30d ,350d , you can tape a skylight filter to it to protect it.Not sure anymore about the diameter.

www.brunobrokken.com
wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

Is THIS LENS the one you're referring to? If I get something, I want to make sure it's what I need.

Yeah, more or less. I love the exit shot from front float for video, right in their face. But while in the door I just can't get out far enough to get the whole shot. Just want at least the width of my video. Would be nice to not have to back up for stills too.

There's some good information here. Thanks guys!

For the money, you can't beat that Sigma 15. I've got

I have a 14 aspherical, but it was crazy expensive and is really heavy. Extremely cool for Hercules exits.

That Sigma is tough, too. Iwan face-planted his in the desertand it was fine.

For the money, you can't beat that Sigma 15.

reply]

maybe not for the money,but by adding 80 U$ to the price of the sigma 15mm(at B & h for example) you can get the Canon 15mm which is (i.m.o.) a better lens.....

wuk??

http://www.brunobrokken.com

For the money, you can't beat that Sigma 15.

maybe not for the money,but by adding 80 U$ to the price of the sigma 15mm(at B & h for example) you can get the Canon 15mm which is (i.m.o.) a better lens.....

I'll see, this weekend, if I can find someone with the canon 15mm (I think I know someone who has one) and I'll take it, the 18-55mm kit lens, and the sigma 15mm to front float and get some more example shots.

I have nothing better to do this weekend.