dragon2

First shots with Nikon D80 :-(

[:/] Hooked up my new D80, didn't bring my "old" D70S. Ended up with shots like these. Figured out what was wrong after 4 jumps with different lenses and light metering modes: whenever I attach the remote, the aperture gets stuck on 2.8 >:(

So, to get SOME shots of my friends tandem, I underexposed 1 stop. Too much.....

It's an off-brand remote connected to a regular stereo tongueswitch. This same combination worked fine with my D70S.

I'm going to try and get another made, see if it's the wiring.

Anyone had this ever happen before with remotes? Think it's the wiring? How is the D80 different from the D70S? Could use some help here [:/]

ciel bleu,
Saskia

The regular remote cable from Nikon for the D70s and the D80 is the MC-DC1. It has a 4-pin connector and this indicates that there is more than a simple on-off switch.

I have another camera (Ricoh Caplio GX8) with remote cable and there is a two stage trigger - stage one = get exposure and autofocus, stage two = trigger shutter.

I have seen a off-brand remote compatible with MC-DC1 which has a two stage mechanism too
http://jjc.en.alibaba.com/product/50180899/51031788/Camera_Remote_Shutters/JJC_MA_G_Remote_Switch_for_Nikon_D70S_Replace_MC_DC1.html

Maybe this multistage mechanism is used in the MC-DC1 too and the D80 is more sensible when the 1st stage is not available (stages shortened in tongue switch modification) or the time delay between 1st stage and 2nd stage is too short (too fast pressing with tongue). Both causes might be solved by an electronic repairman.

The regular remote cable from Nikon for the D70s and the D80 is the MC-DC1. It has a 4-pin connector and this indicates that there is more than a simple on-off switch.

Yeah ... speaking of that proprietary 4-pin connector >:( ... does anyone know where I can get one?

I have an MC-DC1 which I wired up to a microswitch to make my own tongue switch. Very easy and cheap. I wired it so that the switch operates the shutter only and it works nicely with my D70s.

I would really like to know where I can get the four pin connector that Nikon uses on the MC-DC1 though[:/]

You can get one from a cheapo compatible remote control!

I think the connector is proprietary and not an industrial spare part. But the images on the net are not so detailed.

Maybe you can make more detailed images of the part and some electronic geek recognizes this connector.

I do not jump anymore due to injury and OLD age

but is it possible to use nikons wireless remote

just wondering, it could be placed in or on a glove and when you wanted to take a shoy just press

something must prevent its use or it would be use
hummmmmmmm

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

I still have a wireless remote set-up for jumping, I used it for the D70 for a year or so because it doesn't have a cable remote. You take the IR remote then fix the wires to it for the tongueswitch. Then fix the remote unit to the lens with an elastic band for instance.

It's usable for sure, I got some great pics this way, but there's 5 problems with it:
the camera needs to be in the ir mode (set the custom function to 15 mins)
the remote gives no indication of failing battery
the remote needs to point at the ir eye on the camera at all times
the connection remote-tongueswitch isn't all that sturdy so sometimes I lost it
the camera takes 1 pic/sec instead of 3

On a glove, no, since I usually jump wingsuit ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am new to stills in the sky, but what mode are you shooting in? I spent some time getting advice from several photographers. I am using a standard Nikon D70 (modified for bite switch), Sigma 16mm, ISO 100, Manual settings, F11 and a shutterspeed of between 250 and 500/sec.

Here is a shot I got last weekend fun jumping with Guano.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked