2pac

HVL-IRH2 IR/halogen iluminator for Sony

I´m planing to get the HVL-IRH2
IR/halogen iluminator from sony for my 105 baby, does anyone have any experience with it?

According to the manual IR light has 20 m range in night shot mode...and 3 W of noirmal light sounds also good, OR?

Does anyone know if there is an extension cable for the hot shoe adapter on sony cams?

2pac
www.slobodanpad.hr
www.skydiveadria.com

I have one of these and have been playing around with it a bit recently....on my PC109
The spot is good....excellent illumination TBH and doesnt drain the battery too much...the dimmer control is useful too.
The IR source..?
Its a 'little' dissapointing , but then again it depends what you want to use it for....
On max intensity the projected beam of IR is quite narrow.....gives you a a kind of 'box' of light ...within the frame of your video...that doesnt go across the full width /height of video.
Projected useful range in my opinion is well short of 20M....
Its better than the inbuilt IR source on the sony range....and good for illumination of people/things quite close to you...but it certainly doesnt fully illuminate your immediate enviroment if thats what you needed

It also stands up off the hot shoe....so if you had plan to 'wear' it on your camera helmet ...for 'whatever' reason...you will need a top mount or non enclosed side mount...and it does present an extra 'snag' hazard in such a situation ( but would easily snap off I reckon with significant force)

No, but I was thinking about using some IR iluminaors for larger RW night jumps.

Just google them and you'll find quite a bit. Here's a super lagre one on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Infrared-140-LED-illuminator-light-for-Night-Vision_W0QQitemZ9744300304QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48637QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and another link to several different offferings from one particular vendor http://www.digitalssinc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=45&zenid=1a309ad47d12eba88313c448852d9f95