base935

Paperwork for exiting an aircraft without a TSO harness/reserve?

Just curious where I can get the paperwork to submit to the FAA, to exit an aircraft in violation of FARs regarding parachute equipment?

Can I get a much simpler exemption, now that precident has been set, to jump a non-TSO container with a single parachute system?
Gravity Research Institute

Hi base,

where I can get the paperwork

If you do not want to develop the paperwork yourself, then I would suggest an attorney who specializes in aviation.

precident has been set, to jump a non-TSO container with a single parachute system

I won't guess as to which 'precident' that you are referring to, but these types of systems have been jumped many times over the years; almost always for a movie. Many years ago, Flying High Mfg in Canada built one for a James Bond movie.

Jerry Baumchen

The following is pure speculation, but if you develop a plan for a specific jump including the training, equipment design and testing, contingencies, personnel involved, and then submit it in detail to the proper FAA FSDO in a timely enough fashion for them to exercise due diligence and pass it through the proper channels for review, you too could get approval.

I suspect you're asking if you can get carte blanche to just jump your BASE rig anywhere out of any aircraft you want. B|

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

No way to side-step Federal Air Regulations.

A German manufacturer built BASE rigs under a European ETSO.

However, FARs insist on intentional jumpers wearing 2 parachutes. 1 of those parachutes must be a TSOed reserve.

The only way to "legally" jump out of an airplane - with a single parachute - is when the airplane is no longer airworthy (e.g. on fire). Again, FARs insist that the pilot emergency parachute be TSOed, recently inspected by an FAA rigger, etc.

This evening I am lecturing the Aerobatic Club of British Columbia on the basics of PEPs.

I do have first hand knowledge. Luke Akins approached the USPA Board of Directors and was granted a waiver of BSR 2-1-H, Minimum Opening Altitude. The waiver was for a specific time frame, altitude, and location. A copy of the waiver request is attached.

Luke did not request any form of waiver for the actual chuteless jump as no waiver from USPA was required. According to USPA definitions, and FAA definitions, this was not a "Skydive" or a "Parachute Jump" or a "Parachute Operation" nor was he a "Parachutist" or a "Skydiver" on this fall from an aircraft.

From the USPA SIM Glossary:

SKYDIVE: 1. n. The descent of a person to the surface from an aircraft in flight when he or she uses or intends to use a parachute during all or part of that descent. 2. v. To jump form an aircraft with a parachute.

PARACHUTE JUMP: A parachute operation that involves the descent of one or more persons to the surface from an aircraft in flight when a parachute is used or intended to be used during all or part of that descent.

PARACHUTIST: A person who intends to exit an aircraft while in flight using a single-harness, dual parachute system to descend to the surface.

From FAA FAR 105 Definitions:

PARACHUTE DROP means the descent of an object to the surface from an aircraft in flight when a parachute is used or intended to be used during all or part of that descent.

PARACHUTE JUMP means a parachute operation that involves the descent of one or more persons to the surface from an aircraft in flight when a parachute is used or intended to be used during all or part of that descent.

PARACHUTIST means a person who intends to exit an air- craft while in flight using a single-harness, dual parachute system to descend to the surface.

So, under all of the definitions above from USPA and the FAA, this was not a "Skydive" or "Parachute Jump" or "Parachute Drop" and Luke was not a "Skydiver" nor a "Parachutist" and as such he did not need authorization, permission, or a waiver from the USPA, or the FAA, or anyone else to exit the aircraft without a parachute.

Congratulations to Luke on a stunt well planned and executed. And for anyone else that wishes to jump without a parachute, go for it. You do not need permission from anyone, just make sure that you do not endanger any person or property on the ground.

Mike Mullins
USPA National Director
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

mjosparky

SKYDIVE: 1. n. The descent of a person to the surface from an aircraft in flight when he or she uses or intends to use a parachute during all or part of that descent.

I looked in the dictionary for the definition and to my surprise, the noun “skydive” isn’t listed! The Cambridge, MacMillan, Meriam-Webster, and Oxford dictionaries list it as a derivative of the word “skydiving”. Dictionary.com has it listed as a verb.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

SansSuit

***SKYDIVE: 1. n. The descent of a person to the surface from an aircraft in flight when he or she uses or intends to use a parachute during all or part of that descent.

I looked in the dictionary for the definition and to my surprise, the noun “skydive” isn’t listed! The Cambridge, MacMillan, Meriam-Webster, and Oxford dictionaries list it as a derivative of the word “skydiving”. Dictionary.com has it listed as a verb.

I don’t know what to tell you. You can go by what USPA says or believe some rag of a dictionary.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As long as FAR 91.15, Dropping objects, is followed.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

And as far as I could tell, reasonable precautions were taken.
www.freak-brother.com