pocbase

BASE with Sony PC 1000

I've jumped my PC1000 in my FF2 about a dozen times slider off BASE, usually around 2 second - 2.5 second delays.

I haven't had any problems with it. I did however manage to knock the camera mount in the helmet loose though on opening.

Have to make sure that thing is locked down tight.

Thanks for the reply.
Funny you should mention it being knocked loose. My previous camera was top mounted and i've been a little worried about BASE jumping with a side mount. I have only done 2 BASE jumps with a side mount and on one of these jumps the riser slapped the 'rec' button of the PC 109 I had borrowed. It stopped recording right on opening.
I recon i've got the 1000 pretty secure though and will probably just have to get used to it.
The bums will never win Lebowski, the bums will never win!
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

I have made more than 150 BASE jumps whith a sidemount 99%of the jumps were slider off,i never had a issue whith the side mount.well i did knock off the wide angel once but that were my own fault as i turned my head in the opening secquence)

If you take too deep delays you can experience that the cam stop recording shortly then start recording again.

Im about to get top mounted but im not sure if im happy about that:P but im sick of my big nose in the screen all the time:D

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I do a lot of slider off jumps and I just purchased the Sony PC 1000.
I am interested to know if any one uses this camera in a BASE environment and how it performs.
Thanks

I've done about 40 BASE jumps with PC1000 and been pretty happy with it's performance. I've done all kinds of delays, slider down hop'n'pops to full terminals with it and haven't noticed anything weird on it. Anything special you wanted to know about it compared to other cameras for example ?
http://www.ufufreefly.com

Well, I had heard that the old 3 chip cameras didn't handle openings too well. More precisely, the 3 sensors would get bumped out of alignment after a couple of jumps. Just wondering if this could be a problem with the 1000. From the feedback it's obviously not.
Thanks.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

In a post earlier today I mentioned that the one chip models have better low light performance. I read this in several places when I was researching which camera to buy last year. I don't know how significant the difference is, but I do know that the HC90 is supposed to be at least somewhat better than the PC1000 as far as low light.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

True, there has been a lot of talk about that. According to the reviews, it's low light capabilities are not too bad for a 3 chip. The assumption seems to be that if you are buying a 3 chip, forget about low light. I have done 1 BASE night jump, so quality of the footage was more a concern than low light on buying this toy. I wanted a broadcast quality camera I could jump with and the PC 1000 fulfills this criteria.
Enfin j'ai trouvé:
Bieeeen

How does the PC1000 function in low light and nightshot compared to the one chip cameras?

As it has been mentioned, 3chips in general do not perform very well on low light conditions. PC1000 (as any other 3chips) do not have separate "nightshot" mode so that's why on night (BASE) jumps it is pretty much useless. Also in low light conditions (jumping during dusk or early dawn) the quality easily gets "soft" or "blur" and it looks pretty dark too even if there was decent light to jump with. So my recommendation is that if you are jumping a lot in low light or doing loads of night jumps and want to take some video for them, go with other camera than PC1000.
http://www.ufufreefly.com