Spatula

What online photo storage do you use?

None.. create your own site and use your own storage. ;) My limits right now are about 2.5 gig, I'm not even close to using it.

Are you looking for printing also? If so I have something better/cheaper thene ShutterFly but it takes some knowledge of webdesign to build to your specs. Its basically the company that does all the GlamorShots photo printing.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I use and like SmugMug. It has unlimited storage, and I can upload full size images. It has lots of neat features and is easy to use. It has different levels of accounts (standard, power user, professional) so you can choose what level of price/features you want. Best of all, they do a great job of looking after their customers

You can save $5 by using this link: http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=ZdWDiuogLllGM
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

I am a smugger myself. It is sort of flatrate - the standard account costs twenty something $/year and has no storage limit. Bandwidth for browsing is huge, and if you go over it, smugmug will tolerate it for sometime. I never paid a dime extra.

Smugmug is a business ran by real people that answer all your doubts and apprecciate your suggestions.

They have real nice features and develop others all the time. I really like it!

www.smugmug.com

Carlos Martins
Portugal www.cj.smugmug.com

Are you looking for printing also? If so I have something better/cheaper thene ShutterFly but it takes some knowledge of webdesign to build to your specs. Its basically the company that does all the GlamorShots photo printing.

Can you create links on your site to order prints? I know shutterfly has the plugins that will let you do that but I didn't think you could link to a "pro" site where you charge for the photo on top of shutterfly's price
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Oh, I know shutterfly has a pro section. What I was trying to find out is if there is a way to host your own pics on your own site, but have it link to a site such as shutterfly and have the ability to charge for your photo, kinda like shutterfly's pro site. Does that make sense?
If I read it correctly, Phree mentioned being able to host them on his own site but being able to send them out for printing at another site
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I don't know of a specific service that does, but there's probably a couple that do...

One thing nice about Smugmug is that you can set up a cname with your host, assuming you have a website, which keeps a URL based off of your domain, but displays Smugmug's data... Maybe other services provide this option, but I'm not really sure.

http://Photography.AndrewLGillies.com

(This is different than forwarding)

Here's how I do it. My photo galleries are here. When the user visits and views a picture they like, they can click on the "Order Prints" link. That will take them to my sales web site, which has a simple ordering page where they can place an order and pay with credit card. The credit card processing is handled through paypal (the user does not have to have a paypal account).

My storage requirements are minimal since I only upload low resolution images (~640x480). When an order is placed, Paypal emails me the details. I can then make the print any way I want to ... my Epson R2400 or Shutterfly and have it shipped to the customer.

This works for me because I administer my own server, and web sites and I don't sell high volumes of photos. For me, the advantage is that I have total control of the print viewing and ordering interfaces and I can keep them simple. Actually it's VERY smple at this point since I just set it up recently and haven't added any "features." :P

Ahh... now I didn't even think of keeping it so simple. Of course, complete automation would be ideal, but for what I'd sell, one here n there, this setup would be fine.

thanks!!!

I've been hosting my own images for several years now on my domain that is hosted by one of those cheap web host providers. It worked great up until they moved their servers to the East coast. I then tried another cheap web host with a new domain name and although it looks good and fast when first starting out - after adding a hundred pictures or so, the database gets pretty damn slow.

So... another one of my friends has suggested smugmug too. I have been seriously looking into hosting ALL my full size images there and cancelling the new domain name I just registered a week ago.

Given the fact that it's FAST, and the printing prices are average with the rest of the market, and the cname idea - it sounds great! Plus for the price I pay for the cheap web host (40-70/yr) I can get better and faster service from smugmug.

I'm just not looking forward to uploading my 2000+ pics to a new web host. But the lack of any storage space is even a better idea for me to switch.

Anyone else use smugmug and can add anything?

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

I don't know of a specific service that does, but there's probably a couple that do...

One thing nice about Smugmug is that you can set up a cname with your host, assuming you have a website, which keeps a URL based off of your domain, but displays Smugmug's data... Maybe other services provide this option, but I'm not really sure.

http://Photography.AndrewLGillies.com

(This is different than forwarding)

Looking at the smugmug pricing, it looks like this option is only avail with the higher end Pro package. OR are you doing this with your own domain web site and setting up the redirection/cname within it? I can't see paying an extra $100/yr just for this feature. My camera is only 8MP, so the Standard or the Power User package sounds just about right. I like the idea of customizing the look and feel of the photo gallery.

I did!

And got me a 24-105L and 10-22 lense B|

I just got back from Hawaii last week and took about 2600+ pictures. LOL

I have also decided to go with zenfolio.com, rather than smugmug or the other sites prev mentioned. For $40/yr I get what I want plus the CNAME and it's pretty speedy. No printing or pro sales stuff yet, but I imagine when I actually have photos to sell I'll they'll have something to offer then.

I'll eventually post a thread in Bonfire, but you can check out the wedding and Hawaii pics here:

http://mbaa.zenfolio.com