Faber

GIOTTOS QUICK RELEASE W/SLIDING PLATE 621

I believe I saw one of those recently in Europe and it was top mounted on a helmet. What caused me to notice it is that it sits a substantial distance above the helmet and with the camera mounted on it, it looked like it would be easy for it to twist or pry off accidentaly if bumped.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

how high compared to the goldmember would you say?

From my eyeball calculations, I'd say that from the helmet to the base of the camera, there was 2 -2 1/2 inches of distance that the bracket itself occupied. It looked precariously perched atop of the helmet. Again, I am not 100% sure that is the same bracket but it looks similar.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I use the Manfrotto version of this plate because it's universal to tripods as well, and for motor mounts, suction mounts, etc.
It's longer than a goldmember,narrower than a goldmember, has 3 locking points vs 1,
The actual plate assembly is marginally taller than the goldmember by approximately 1/16, if that.
The locking lever could be a hazard in some situations, I guess, you could easily reverse it and drill a small recess in the other side to have the curl be on the "up" side rather than the "down" side, and then snag/strike is no more and probably less a possibility of snag than the goldmember locking pin head. Maybe Joe Jennings or Norman Kent can offer some input, but this mount/plate is fairly standard in the production world, which is my main reason for using it. Additionally, it offers 2 points of contact/mount on the camcorder vs one as most have.
Looking at the photo, the Giottos version is shorter, and has a small protrusion that the Manfrotto version doesn't have (they're the same company) so apparently there are various models. The3273 is the base, and there are three lengths of plate that fit it.
Dunno if that helps...

Alternativly, I can add that most of my DZ uses these clicky

I haven't seen them mentioned or used at another dz though.

No one at my dz has had a problem with it to date and there are people who have been using them for quite a few years.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I use a Stroboframe Base plate and the Vid-300 plate for a video camera and the 300-EOS for the still. Cost is about $50 for the base and 15 for the Vid plate. Pretty univeral in the stills world, but not so much in the video.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It is made out of a Magnesium alloy. Which makes it pretty light at around 4.4oz (per the stats on BHphoto) The bubble levels can come off too. They used to make a model w/o them, but I don't think they do anymore.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

That style of release is really intended for mounting on the shoe of larger telephoto lenses. Like the lenses you see on the sidelines of major sporting events. My concern would be that with the base plate mounted on a helmet the locking lever would not be able to rotate enough because it would be striking either the top of the helmet or the bottom of the camera. Now if that lever is a push-pull type, I doubt it would matter at all.

i has got my gitto and has modifyed it abit:) i think the smalle amount of work to make the gitto more safe to our sport is ok compared to the price of example goldmember..

phothos taken by my phone so sorry the qually:)

"Gitto" is how it looks as you get it.I removed a few things on the sides,and as of you can see im not done by the device as of yet.. but im sure it will work out just greatB|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber