barnett

side mount or top mount camera helmet?

:ph34r:Hey guys, for freeflying, deployment etc. what would the best style of camera mount be? Sidemounts seem to be all the rage, but a top mount eliminates riser slap/hang ups... but gets in the way when exiting, especially from a high wing aircraft... Does anyone have experience with both to advise me of a good choice?:ph34r:

:ph34r:Hey guys, for freeflying, deployment etc. what would the best style of camera mount be? Sidemounts seem to be all the rage, but a top mount eliminates riser slap/hang ups... but gets in the way when exiting, especially from a high wing aircraft... Does anyone have experience with both to advise me of a good choice?:ph34r:

It seems like the "Pro" camera fliers choose the top mount and the casual camera fliers choose side mount.

I first tried out the top mount and found the openings to be a little rough on the neck. I hardly notice anything with the side mount.

Top mount does NOT eliminate riser slaps and hangups

(You'll probably find a lot of info by searching for this topic as it has definitely been discussed here before)

I've seen lines get caught up in a top mounted configuration during opening. The flat top pro comes with a cutaway system in case there is an entanglement.

In skydiving, there are inherit risks... add a camera to the mix and there are added risks. Mounting on the top doesn't eliminate those risks. You can do everything "right" and still run into problems.

You should fly side and top and see how your neck feels... see if the top mount effects your head down flying, see if you hit the inside of the airplane. See which feels the most comfortable. Test out both configurations and see which you like more. Then, when you decide to buy a side mount, go with the RAWA. It's the most comfortable ;)

You should fly side and top and see how your neck feels... see if the top mount effects your head down flying, see if you hit the inside of the airplane.

I must say that with my stills camera on the top of my helmet i don't feel a whole lot of difference weight wise, for ease of manoeuvring though, i'd have to say it's a whole other kettle of fish :S It took some gettng used to when i first started jumpng it, having to twist my head to get out of the Porter and constantly remembering to duck :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

How do you still get riser hang ups with a top mount?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

consider linetwist with the risers bunching at the top of your head or the slider screaming down the lines on a fast or hard opening or a semi stable deployment after geting that last second bad ass shot and relizing you waited a bit longer to deploy than you ment to . pretty much anything you can conceive that puts lines , risers and slider in range of your helm ...... and now relize for everyone you can think of there are at least eight more waiting to surprise you .

they like to tell tandem masters that it isnt just another skydive , good advice for anyone straping anything "extra" on be it a person a camera or a stuffed animal on your chest strap murpheys law works and offten when we are at our most complacent this is skydiving the only for sure is that there is a planet aimed at you

fly safe ask lots of questions and be ready for anything