LouDiamond

30 inch Apple Cinema HD display

Yep, you can run an external display along with the internal display simultaneously. As for having two external displays and keeping the lid shut on the MacBook... I don't know if this is possible [I doubt it, just by a desktop at that point].
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm really digging the two display thing

It is a very nice feature to have and work with. However the 30" will be more than adequate to view any program suites entire GUI by itself. I plan on setting mine up with the extended desktop like yours in the picture so I'll end up with 47" of screen to work with......I don't know how I'll manage:P

Marcus, I went for the 120GB HD on the MB Pro.

In all honesty, I have to give it to Apple for the way they make it easy to learn on a Mac. The website has a full line of free tutorials on how to transition from PC to Mac thats just fantastic. The more I learn about the Mac, the more I am surprised that more people aren't using them.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I just read a Computerworld review of the new Mac Pro towers. It mentioned the ability to install 2 video cards that would allow you to run 4 (four!!) 30" Cinema displays.

I went to the Apple website to price this out...with the dual 3 ghz dual core processors, maxed out the ram at 16gb, installed 4 500gb hard drives with 4 Apple Cinema displaysand it comes out to about $20 grand! A precise number wasn't possible because the website only comtemplates installing one video card and I don't know what the price of another would be.

Of course, there's also the Hiperwall to aspire to.....with 50 30" Cinema Displays.

So, if your new setup feels a bit cramped after a while...it's nothing money can't fix! B|
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

The more I learn about the Mac, the more I am surprised that more people aren't using them.

See? Those crazy Mac guys aren't crazy! ;):ph34r:

I know it sounds cliche, and I cannot believe I am saying it, but when you take the time to look at all the things a Mac can do right out of the box,the programs that come with it standard and the ease of use, the Mac just makes sense. Especially for video/photo editing.Now I know why people like Norman Kent and Greg Gasson use a Mac for skydiving photo/videos.All the other things it can do is simply amazing as well.

I am sure there is a reason, probably to do with money or politics, but I think that if Apple put their products in the chain stores like everyone else in the PC industry does, people would have an opportunity to play with a Mac. Then the general public would have more exposure to it and see how much easier and advantageous it is over a PC. As it stands now, your only chance to get hands on and fiddle with one is to go to a Mac store and frankly, there just aren't enough stores to reach the people outside of the Metro areas.

I am actually surprised at how well intergrated the Apple Business applications work seamlessly and transparently together with one another. From a business/Work standpoint, the man hours that it would save I would imagine would be quite impressive. I wish Outlook and MS calendar could do half of the stuff the Mac does. As well organized as a Mac can keep a person you'd think it would be the business mans wet dream.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Mac Pro stuff

Good times, it's a killer machine. Just be sure to never buy RAM from Apple... they overcharge. I expect you could knock several grand off that price with 3rd party RAM.

Now I know why people like Norman Kent and Greg Gasson use a Mac for skydiving photo/videos.

Joe Jennings is also a Mac user now and he seems to be loving it [sorry about not getting you the discount, Joe!]. The Mac photo/video/film thing goes well beyond just skydivers. The Mac is the standard in those industries [for those who disagree: no need to start an argument, we can just agree to disagree].

I am sure there is a reason, probably to do with money or politics, but I think that if Apple put their products in the chain stores like everyone else in the PC industry does, people would have an opportunity to play with a Mac.

The Apple thing goes well beyond throwing the machines into random stores. The Apple Store is a perfect example of this. It's not just a Mac, it's getting the whole "Apple Experience" from start to finish [from sales to service and all that stuff].

That said, you can find Macs in any reputable computer store and [soon enough] in Best Buy and the like.

Then the general public would have more exposure to it and see how much easier and advantageous it is over a PC.

The iPod Halo Effect ["My iPod works, I bet the computers work too!"] is helping this tremendously. Mac sales are higher than ever and are growing dramatically faster than any other computer manufacturer.

I am actually surprised at how well intergrated the Apple Business applications work seamlessly and transparently together with one another. From a business/Work standpoint, the man hours that it would save I would imagine would be quite impressive.

In many respects, it's been that way for over a decade. The last 5 years or so have continued the trend to the point that [with Boot Camp for die-hard Windoze guys] it's truly seamless.

I wish Outlook and MS calendar could do half of the stuff the Mac does. As well organized as a Mac can keep a person you'd think it would be the business mans wet dream.

If you want to see a funny commentary on that, go here and watch the WWDC keynote. Watch it all if you have time [it's cool from a dorky perspective... you also get to see what's coming in Leopard and you get to bask in Steve Jobs' public speaking prowess]. As for the commentary I referred to, go to 00:24:17 and watch until about 00:28:15. :P

Very interesting post Scott. I use my .Mac account to keep all my addresses and appointments synced between home and my Mac at work and find it invaluable. With two small boys and lots of appointments and activities I can't rely on writing everything on the kitchen calendar. To be honest, I've never thought of that aspect of the Mac as a selling point....especially for business people so your perspective is very illuminating.

I am sure there is a reason, probably to do with money or politics, but I think that if Apple put their products in the chain stores like everyone else in the PC industry does, people would have an opportunity to play with a Mac. Then the general public would have more exposure to it and see how much easier and advantageous it is over a PC. As it stands now, your only chance to get hands on and fiddle with one is to go to a Mac store and frankly, there just aren't enough stores to reach the people outside of the Metro areas.

My experience with the only chain stores in town that carry Macs (Future Shop..Canadian stores now owned by Best Buy I believe, and London Drugs) is that the salespeople don't have a clue about how to do anything on a Mac...they can't help people so they steer them over to the PC shelves.

I think that if one of them set up with a digital camera, a video camera and a few CDs and showed people how quickly and easily you can be creating with your raw material on a Mac that they would sell a ton of them. But, I suspect that salespeople are also very motivated to sell what makes them the most money...if that is a PC that's what they'll sell you. What is the best type of computer for you isn't really important to them.

I can hardly wait to see what you think once you have that new setup in front of you and have spent some time on it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

the salespeople don't have a clue about how to do anything on a Mac

That remains a huge problem with the smaller stores. Apple is actually training Best Buy employees [unless the project has been scrapped] to try and give customers a real idea of what's going on.

I've been told in CompUSA - among many others - that "Macs don't use RAM," "Apple went out of business years ago," "iPod owns Apple now," etc...

never buy RAM from Apple... they overcharge. I expect you could knock several grand off that price with 3rd party RAM.

I've done a little surfing looking for it but is there a site that you can recommend for Mac RAM? I am going to throw another 1 GB stick in the MB Pro as soon as it arrives.

If you want to see a funny commentary on that, go here and watch the WWDC keynote

I watched the whole thing just this morning. I also ran across some video of the bloopers/edited out parts of the WWDC. One question I have about the WWDC QT presentation is if it is done using Keynotes? If so, how difficult is it to do the sequences where the video is on one side of the screen and the slide is on the other half and then transitions to full screen?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Keynotes is what Steve uses for his presentations...that's where it got its name...his "Keynote" speeches at all the gatherings of the Mac faithful.

I don't think the transition you want would be very hard to do. I have a copy of Keynotes at work but have only played with it a little. If nobody else has the answer I'll check it out on Monday and see what I can do.

Mac ram...I think I've seen people recommend Other World Computing.
--
Murray

I've done a little surfing looking for it but is there a site that you can recommend for Mac RAM? I am going to throw another 1 GB stick in the MB Pro as soon as it arrives.

Well, there's no such thing as "Mac" RAM instead of normal RAM... it's all the same kind. I've purchased from Kingston and Crucial before, both had good prices and the RAM worked fine so hey.

I also ran across some video of the bloopers/edited out parts of the WWDC.

Heh, that's funny that they edited it. I caught it pre-editing

One question I have about the WWDC QT presentation is if it is done using Keynotes? If so, how difficult is it to do the sequences where the video is on one side of the screen and the slide is on the other half and then transitions to full screen?

Yep, the presentation is done using Apple's Keynote application. As for the effect that they use to have Steve in one corner and the presentation fullscreen... I expect that's an effect put together buy the editors for the sake of the webcast... Apple's been doing that effect for years [both on live transmissions and recordings]. I know that Leopard's iChat will have a similar feature in the iChat theater, but I'm not currently aware of how Apple does it. I doubt it's that hard.

For RAM it's hard to go wrong with http://www.crucial.com. Crucial is the retail arm of Micron, one of the larger memory manufacturers in the world. They have a lovely selector tool that walks you through exactly what will and won't fit in your machine.

Last time I checked pricing, using Crucial was about 40% of the price of buying RAM from Apple.

Well it all got here today and I have unpacked it and set it up. I am still finding my way around the new OS but the Mac Book Pro and 30" HD display are kicking like Kung-fu. I opened a few skydiving QT movies to see how they looked as well as some still photos and all I can say is DAMN :ph34r:, this is extremely bad ass.

The screen is nothing short of HUGE and bright. With the MB Pro next to it, the 30" display is all work space for what ever you want, the 17" screen is just a big ass palette.

Now I just have to network everything together from the Mac system to the PC systems I also have and I'll have damn near 180 degrees of monitor to stare at and at least a Terrabyte worth of storage.

Well now I am off to play with iMovie HD and get a feel for whats under the hood.:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Holy shit... that looks like a Matrix operator set up... :D

Well there isn't too much I cannot see with this much monitor space. DZ.com on the 30" just has to be seen in person to appreciate. I can see ALL of the forums without scrolling as well as all of the threads in a forum. I am still playing around with the OS and getting everything set up and in its spot to create a smooth work flow and cable management, etc. So far, I am liking it.However, iMovie HD looks more like a neat toy than a true editting application. As I had expected,coming off of a broadcast quality NLE system, I would be a bit spoiled. I am sure FCP will offer more of an editing environment that I am used to.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING