LouDiamond

30 inch Apple Cinema HD display

You've found the truth there. iMovie is designed for kids editing their uncle's wedding videos and people trying editing for the first time after a family vacation... not for anybody who's used to real editing. You'll find yourself right at home in Final Cut Pro.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Don't get me wrong, it's way better than say Windows movie maker but in the same league of entry level/basic editing.
So far I am digging the new OS and the many very cool things it does or things you can make it do. Seems like there are a lot of tweaks out there that Mac owners can do to their Macs that make them fun to use as well as increase productivity.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

So far I am digging the new OS and the many very cool things it does or things you can make it do. Seems like there are a lot of tweaks out there that Mac owners can do to their Macs that make them fun to use as well as increase productivity.

Nice setup you've got there Scott. Yes, iMovie is a bit simple, although if you dig a bit, it does have some nice features, but some things are very strange and unlogical. But it is fine for putting together something simple.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I just watched some HD footage on the new 30" and all I can say is AMAZING. It looked like I could reach out and touch the actors inside the screen.This is going to be a lot of fun to edit on. I have Final Cut Pro Studio installed and now I just need to read the book and play with it a bit and then its off to the races.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Here is some feedback on this system so far. As you can read below, not everything has been a bed of roses. After I had made my purchase, I found the Apple forums where there is a thread on the 30" display problems with more posts than the Skyride thread here. Below is my contribution to that thread in the Apple forums. Apparently Apple thinks hell is a bad word and replaced the word with asterisks.

I recently did the switch from a PC and went full bore Mac after hearing and seeing all the good things about Apple from friends.

So far I love the 17" MB Pro but the 30" monitor started displaying pretty much all of the mentioned defects in this forum about a week after I received it. The problem would come and go and I thought it was interference due to poor cable shielding. Finally the whole screen went to black and gray vertical bars and then just died. Unfortunately, I found this forum and the many problems people have been having with the 30" display after I made my purchase.

I attempted to call Apple but spent countless hours in automated phone **** waiting for the next agent. Based on everyones posts here, I kind of figured what kind of an answer I would get if I ever did talk to a human. Today I finally got a hold of a human while at work after a good 1 hour wait listening to the horrible music on speaker phone.

It came as no big surprise that the option I was given was to take my display into an Apple store a good 2 hours drive away to see a "genius". Here is where I think Apple shoots themselves in the foot. First they are quick to make sure you can order anything from them super easy but try and get a human to answer a question when you have a problem and all you hear is the automated recording **** that will sometimes hang up on you after having waited an hour supposedly "in line".

Second, when you finally do talk to a human, the typical response seems to be "take it in" to a store to see a "genius". Oh yeah, you can only make an appointment with said "genius" the same day you would like to be seen. So I really don't see why Apple even has a phone line for calling in problems. They would be better off putting the advice "TAKE IT IN TO THE STORE" in big letters on the web page, as thats what you're going to end up doing in the long run.

I really have to question how bad a company wants my business when they EXPECT me to drive 2 hours to the nearest store and spend my time and gas money to haul a broken piece of equipment that I paid several thousand dollars for, back to them.Then to make it even worse, I just can't walk into the store with my 2 grand paperweight, I have to schedule an appointment with a "genius" aka a kid with a door knocker in his nose so he can tell me "dude, your monitor is broken". Yeah, like I didn't know that to start with.

So when I explained my displeasure with the Apple agent today I told him I didn't want to return the display to the store as I had read the problems many of the people here have had with 2 or 3 replacement 30" displays and it's many problems. As expected, he wasn't able to authorize that and I would have to talk to someone in another department and could I please hold. I expected to get hung up on as the call was transferred but luckily enough for me it rang through to another automated phone **** where I waited for an additional 20 mins. Finally a human answered and I explained my situation again and by the Grace of God, I was told I would be given a full refund and to send the display back to them. I am now waiting for the Fed-ex labels to be e-mailed to me so I can send the display back. In the mean time I have gone ahead and purchased the Dell 30" LCD display(which is also less expensive at the moment)as I have yet to find the plethora of negative feedback on it that I have found with the Apple 30".

So after having just made the switch from a PC to an Apple and having gone through that ordeal,I feel like I am one of the lucky ones to be given a refund. I will say this, when my 30" display was working properly, it was absolutely fantastic to work on. However, there is no way I can recommend to anyone to buy the Apple 30" display as it has some serious issues.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Ouch. Bad story.
Some of the 30"s also have issues just from the refresh rate designed to allow you to see native vid on the screen as well. We ended up buying a bunch of Samsungs, to compliment the Sony 234b's we use for screen work. Whether switched to the G5's or PC's, they look wonderful.
Be very happy you got your $$ back!!

That really sucks. Glad you got your money back. I hope the MBPro is still behaving itself for you.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Wow, that does suck. I'm sorry that it all went like that, glad you got your money back. This isn't the first complaint I've heard about Apple's phone service lately - I was just talking with JC about some troubles he had yesterday. I've always had good luck with their service, but I haven't called them in years. I hope it isn't a new trend.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I received my Dell 30" screen today after the Apple debacle. I have been using it for several hours so far and I must say it is a far better item than the Apple 30" display. For one, it works correctly and the picture quality is just as high if not better looking as the Apple display without the quirks. Second, its cord management is far better. You can replace a cord if one goes bad and they are not all attached to one big cord or the big white power pack,so you can route them as you wish. Third, the Dell has more ports on the monitor than the Apple. It sports a CF, and a SM/SD/MS/MMC slot along with 4 USB 2 ports. Fourth, it looks just as good as the Apple aesthetically and it actually can be rotated on its base left/right/up/ down and has a small footprint. The only thing it doesn't have is a Firewire port( as far as I know). Man I love working on a screen this big, its just awesome.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Looking at your attachment, I see less words per line on a forum post, on your screen verus mine. Does this mean you have your 30" at a lower resolution than my 19"? Do you have old people fonts installed? ;):P

Glad you got the old one returned. I am fanatical about researching reviews before I buy things, for this reason. The sad thing is, almost EVERYTHING has something wrong with it, so be prepared for many negative reviews no matter what you're researching. Pick the item with the least negative reviews. :D
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

The Safari web browser has a zoom built into it. I zoom in to make it easier to read and navigate. At the normal size/view, I can see all the forums from top to bottom but the text is pretty small. Working on photos in PS is amazing with this thing.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

The Safari web browser has a zoom built into it. I zoom in to make it easier to read and navigate. At the normal size/view, I can see all the forums from top to bottom but the text is pretty small. Working on photos in PS is amazing with this thing.

so basically what you are saying is you are cheating yourself out of a pair of glasses? :P

Sweet screen dude! It's on my list of "toys to get"