LouDiamond

30 inch Apple Cinema HD display

After some serious thought and talking to Mac friends, I am thinking of replacing my NLE system with a 17" Mac book Pro and the 30" HD display.

I know the lappy has gotten good reviews but I haven't seen much on the 30" display. The one I saw in the Apple store was simply amazing to work on and I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences, good or bad about these displays/monitors?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Much as it pains me to type this, I have seen reviews of a Dell 30 inch monitors that stated that it was as good or better than the Apple 30" Cinema Display and at a lower price. Of course, I don't know how the prices compare now since Apple dropped the prices on all monitors on Monday August 7th. So, you might check into this....

Whatever you buy you will have an amazing setup to work on. I've only seen one of these things and it's like iMax on your desktop :D
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Seen and worked on both. I have no real preference, both have same resolution (2560x1600 @ 60Hz), same image brightness (400 cd/m^2), same image contrast (700:1).

Both are great monitors.

At first I was leaning towards the Dell because I thought it would have the additional inputs (s-video, composite, rca, etc) as the 24" does.

Since neither of those monitors have those additional inputs, now its 50-50. No real preference either way.

Oh, and make sure you have a dual-dvi graphics card, you'll need one if you want to use those 30".

Edited to add: Right now Apple is about $200 cheaper than Dell (at their respective stores), but I'm sure you can find deals online for the Dell so the cost difference is not enough to tilt the scale either way.

~Chivo

Those reviews are all of the *old* 30" display. The new one has a 400cd/m2 brightness up from 270cd/m2 and a 700:1 contrast ratio, up from 400:1. They also had a significant price decrease.

Specs-wise, they are superior to the Dells. I'm not certain about pricing.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I have a 17 in. mac book pro and a 37 in. LCD by syntax. the Tv is HDMI and I run the Mac throught it. it works perfectly. they both recognize each other. paid 1200 for the TV shipped with 4 year warrenty. more money for other things.

-Bowen

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I have a 17 in. mac book pro and a 37 in. LCD by syntax

Do you know how the picture quality of the LCD TV compares to the Apple 30" monitor?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I expect that the TV runs at 1920x1080 - HD 1080p resolution. The 30" Cinema Display's resolution, of course, is significantly higher.

I just went window shopping and looked at the 30-32" HDTVs and while some are a bit lower in price the resolution didn't look as impressive as the Apple 30" display, especially up close where one would be working on footage normally. At this point, it may be a bit more but I think the Apple 30" display is the best way to go, unless there is a comparable monitor of that size out there I am unaware of.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Much as it pains me to type this, I have seen reviews of a Dell 30 inch monitors that stated that it was as good or better than the Apple 30" Cinema Display and at a lower price. ... snipped rest...

Aside from all of that, the Dell monitors have WAY more option inputs. Try hooking your 30" Cinema Display up as a TV, or running your raw footage straight to it...can't do it. Besides...for the money, if you MUST have the Apple displays, get 2-20"s or 2-23"s...way better deal. I must admit though that the LOOK and quality of the Apple displays kicks ass-- But I'm getting Dells most likely. Which also pains me (for now).
cp

the Dell monitors have WAY more option inputs. Try hooking your 30" Cinema Display up as a TV, or running your raw footage straight to it...can't do it. Besides...for the money, if you MUST have the Apple displays, get 2-20"s or 2-23"s...way better deal.

I guess that all depends on what someone wants to do with their monitor. I have no desire to use it as a TV as I have a 60" LCD HDTV already. I want it strictly for video editing as I am exchanging my professional grade NLE for this system. Unless there is something I am unaware of, the Apple monitor has a Two-port, self-powered USB 2.0 hub and two FireWire 400 ports on it. As much as I'd like to get 2 23"s the added screen real estate isn't worth it(IMO) as the difference in resolution between the 23"(1920 x 1200 pixels (optimum resolution)
and the 30" (2560 x 1600 pixels (optimum resolution)is why I want the 30" to begin with. If all I wanted was more screen, I would go with 2 30"s before going with 2 23"s.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Dual screenis very useful though. I'm not sure how much computer edit work you have done, but it's very handy to be running two screens. One with your EDL on it and the other for preview panes etc...

I do more sound work than video and the option of the two monitors is great. It means i can have the main edit window in one and the transport, FX, plugins and mixer on the other. Saves a lot of mouse clicks :)
Does anyone know if the power book can actually support dual screen mode??

My lap top is an iBook which i downloaded an app for which allows you to plug a monitor in and use it with the screen on the lappy giving you dual screen, not just a mirror. very handy :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

The 17" MB Pro supports the 30" as it supports dual DVI outputs.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Dual screenis very useful though. I'm not sure how much computer edit work you have done, but it's very handy to be running two screens.

I know what you mean. I have seen and played around with Norman kents dual screen Mac set up as well as Mike McGowan's. Both are very impressive and the work space is exceptional. For what I want to use it for I think the 30" will suffice.

Not positive as it isn't clear on the Apple web site but in your case, I think not unless you have another graphics card.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

All the Powerbooks/mac book pros support mirroring and dual display modes, as do the new macbooks (One external monitor and one on the laptop). You can also plug in the laptop, connect a keyboard and mouse and an external display, and close the laptop and use just the external display as the monitor.
From Apple's website:
When you connect an Apple Cinema Display to MacBook Pro, you lose nothing in translation. That’s because the DVI connection gives you a pure digital signal from system to display. View more than 4 million pixels on the 30-inch Apple Cinema HD display, powered by the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 and the dual-link DVI built into MacBook Pro. With Mac OS X, you get three options for using your display: dual-display mode, video mirroring, and lid-closed mode"

The ibook's firmware could be hacked to support extended desktop, but I don't believe it works closed the way the PB and MBP do.

The ibook's firmware could be hacked to support extended desktop, but I don't believe it works closed the way the PB and MBP do.

I think there is a way with the firmware hack that I used to set it up in "Clamshell" mode but I haven't tried that with my iBook as I always use the external monitor and the built-in laptop screen as an extended desktop.
--
Murray

Well I went ahead and did it. I am now the proud owner of a 17" Mac book Pro and a 30" HD display. It should be here in a few days and then I can begin playing with it.:)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Woo-Hoo! I'm sure you're going to be very happy with your decision.

Post pictures when you're up and running.
--
Murray

Well I went ahead and did it. I am now the proud owner of a 17" Mac book Pro and a 30" HD display. It should be here in a few days and then I can begin playing with it.:)

Congrats... Very cool. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your choices. I too wanna see pix of your setup when it's all set up.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News