Stumpy

VCR - Mini DV

Hi - can i do this? I have a Video cassette with some footage that i want to get onto my PC.
can i record onto my PC105 and go from there? or can i go direct video-PC? what kit would i need to do this? (leads etc) This is probably pretty much a one off so i don't want to shell out too much!

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Never try to eat more than you can lift

First, you need to be able to get video from your camera to your computer with firewire. If you aren't already set up for that, do a search. It is covered in-depth elsewhere on this site and on the Internet.

From there, you can record from the VCR to a mini DV tape (using the same A/V cables you use to watch your video on a TV), the use firewire to go from the camera to a computer. If you can get the VCR and computer in the same room, you can set the camera up as pass-through and skip the intermediate step. Both options are covered in the PC105 manual.

Thats half the problem, the manual has got lost in the move :S
i can firewire from camera to PC no problem, i can play camera to TV no worries, but when i plug the scart into my video, i don't seem to be able to get a picture showing (and therefore recordable) on my camera. I'm a bit stumped.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

Have you tried it with the camera in the "Camera" mode and not in the "playback" mode?

On my PC330 i just made the connections and it worked right off the bat. But I had the camera in camera mode. It should work, thats how bullet cams work.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

hey mate.

The camera should work as an intermediary for you to record VCR footage onto the MiniDV tape and then firewire it onto a PC. The link to the manual posted above should help you with exactly how to do that.

Or you could use a video capture card on your PC. They're pretty cheap these days and you may even have the feature already on whatever graphics card you have.

If you're doing a one off - hell, use the PC105. You may have to fiddle with cables a couple of times but so long as you have an S-video cable or set of phono leads or something it should work fine (note that s-video to scart is notoriously a pain in the arse often results in a B&W picture).

If you're looking to do this semi-regularly then I'd consider spending the £10 or so it'll cost to buy the capture card. Try ebuyer.com or something if you want to do it "right"... but I don't think using a camcorder in the middle on this occasion will lead to any quality problems - you're only taking it off VHS anyway.

Give me a shout if you get stuck with it; I'm sure I could sort it out my end for you if you need it.

What you're asking about is called "pass thru" and the PC series cams provide this.
Set the cam to VCR mode, and then firewire to PC/Mac. Be sure to turn off DV Scene detection in your capture app, and you may need to disable DV Deck control depending on the app.
If you need a tutorial, http://www.vasst.com/training/ohci.htm has one that should give you any additional information you might need.
HTH

Another thing I found with my TRV22 when used as a 'pass-through' is that the miniDV tape -had- to be removed. As soon as that was done it passed through just fine.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Another thing I found with my TRV22 when used as a 'pass-through' is that the miniDV tape -had- to be removed. As soon as that was done it passed through just fine.

ltdiver

Weird, my TRV25 worked just fine as a pass-through (from a digital8 s-video to my laptop firewire) with tape still in it :S

ciel bleu,
Saskia

ltdiver

Weird, my TRV25 worked just fine as a pass-through (from a digital8 s-video to my laptop firewire) with tape still in it :S

So long as the transport isn't engaged, I've never heard of tape making a difference in any DV product, but events more strange have happened...

yes, you can record a DVD player instead of a VCR, unless:
1. you're in the UK (some cameras won't pass the full signal)
2. the DV cam has a Macrovision sniff.

In those two events, the cam won't pass the information.

"but when i plug the scart into my video"

Stumpy, not all scarts are created equally, most common ones are one way with the signal going from the composite end to the scart. The one that came withyour camera may well be this type.
You may need to get either a scart with an In/Out switch on it, or one with six composite leads.
Unless your VHS machine has an S-video output you will be stuck with low quality video feed via the composite conns.

Check out the vivanco site for suitable pictures.
http://www.vivanco-direct.com/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Budget_Cables_Connectors_6.html
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson