leroydb

HC1 vs the HC3

I am looking into getting a HD cam, but still want to have the DV capability for general use.

Pros, cons on the HC1 vs the HC3?

How are you mounting it? side mount or top?

thanks
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

HC1-discontinued, but has a slightly larger body, better imager, but not so much as you'd notice unless shooting chip charts.

HC3-Useless for anything but skydiving and family video, as it has less than stellar mics, and no external mic input. Has HDMI, which is very nice for consumer use.

I've reviewed both:
HC3- http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=HC3

HC1- http://www.vasst.com/resource.aspx?id=bca2be14-753a-4fb8-b927-1f95b3c448da

For skydiving, the newly announced AVCHD cams might be of use. I've got a pre-production UX, but am not permitted to comment on it until it's in production. Bear in mind they're both AVC HD, and that the UX records to DVD, and the SG records to HDD. Neither storage format is optimal, and AVCHD at it's best still isn't HD currently. There are rumblings that Panasonic might make an AVCHD -I, which is "Intra" camcorder at an as-yet unannounced bitrate, but probably around 50Mbps, but at best this is at least a year away, and knowing Panasonic, more like 18 months. Additionally, as of this moment, there is only one NLE capable of editing the AVC HD format.

IMO, the HC3 is a great skydiving camcorder. Fabulous third gen DSP, small and lightweight, capable of 4MP stills while recording video. Since you don't really need good audio for skydiving other than pre/post tandem interviews...it's a good choice. I personally prefer the A1, but that's because we have several, and there are a few small benefits for the less common work we're doing with them.

The HC3 can take stills for storage on a separate card without interrupting the video. However, to do it while skydiving, you have a couple options.
1. Buy their LANC remote that has a photo and video start switch and hand operate both (it's wired)
or
2. Build your own LANC switch that has a separate bite switch and video on/off switch so you can have two separate points of initiation for the camera functions.

I think it's pretty realistic to build your own, or purchase the Sony remote and rewire it to fit your own needs. Might take a little doing, but I'm sure some enterprising person will quickly figure it out. I've not tried to take mine apart yet, as I'm not shooting stills with the HC3. Although...I've taken ground stills, and been extremely impressed with what I got.

DSE have you seen or heard of a good box /mount for the HC3 is it feasable to side mount

It's a little wide. As Cookie points out, he's about got his ready to go, andI'm sure it'll be great. Bonehead has theirs close to go too, and it looks great.

I dunno about the heavier, I'm wondering if Cookie is using the larger battery? It's lighter, I think, than the PC109 is?
lower profile, but slightly wider. and the LANC is somewhat inconvenient for side mount.
Be sure to put on at least a UV filter, the issue RedKite pointed out a while back happened to a buddy of mine using an HC3 on a roadbike, the lens cover shimmied in the wind. Putting on anything that blocks that lens cover repairs the problem instantly.

thanks for the input both of you curently shooting with a PC-5 mounted on a mindwarp. so really looking forward to the upgrade even if it means going back to top mount /ring site

another question that came to mind what is capture rate for stills while recording ? have read a lot of reveiws but didnt see anything that really said I know the mem stick duo isnt super fast but am just tring to decide if i can rig it so i can give some decent print quality stills on a disc along with the vidio even if they are only small ones (dont know how big a 4 MP pic could be printed and retain quality ) saw your post DSE made me a bit hopefull anyhow

The HC3 can take stills for storage on a separate card without interrupting the video. However, to do it while skydiving, you have a couple options.
1. Buy their LANC remote that has a photo and video start switch and hand operate both (it's wired)
or

do you have a link to where I can purchase?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

The part is the RM-VD1, I'd suggest B&H, talk to Joshua or perhaps Barry over there.
As far as useful quality of the 4MP image, it's quite good, but bear in mind that it's processed from a lesser grade lens, so if you're used to a nice 4MP DSLR or so, it's not going to compare, but still...very useful. The NY Times printed a pic from the HC3 we took, and they were surprised it came from a video cam, FWIW.