frenchcloud

need advice on settings for canon rebel xt350d

to quote one of the best in the business, Norman Kent:"I am often approached by other photographers who ask, "What setting do you use in your camera?" my answer is "all of them". Would you ask an experienced jumper what the best emergency procedure is? This question does not have one simple answer."

taken from his web site www.normankent.com advise to photographers;

custom function 4 set to 3
tv set to 500, serial shooting
iso 200 (400 when less light)
af one shot
wb sun or clouds
metering average
and
kit lens set to af, 18mm
before dive set the focus @ 6 ft

For mwa, the same settings with the kit lens replaced with something better and the focus set just shy of infinity. :)
Many, many variables depending on photographer and setting presented. If a cameraflyer doesn't really know his camera (any camera, for that matter) he/she -really- should take a photography class and get to know the equipment. Most colleges and universities offer classes and it's a great way to learn (and meet people). Even peaks the creative 'genius' in you and makes for a better photographer in the long run. Not just a 'point and shoot' duffus. :P

(ah, the memories from my high school photography field trips..... :))

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I agree... all that's been said... the best way to learn what works is to try different things and see what gives the best results... be sure to take good note, or at least keep a record of what consistently turned out well and what turned out not so well.

I do have a fair bit of practice taking pictures on the ground... and I generally know what works there. I've only done one jump with my Rebel XT and it could have worked better (mostly exposure problems...) and some bluring due to slower shutter speeds (1/100-1/125)

Here were my settings:

Camera was in Av mode (f/11)
w/normal metering (I may have to experiment with CF:4
Manual focus (set at about 5-7 feet... w/a 17mm fixed focal length lens)
iso of 200

Do I consider it a total loss, no... cause I now know at least one way that doesn't work and I can subsiquently try something different next time... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

ok, i bought it and read the manuel. what would you advise me to set it on for skydiving pics? thanks a lot!

- Av mode
- f/10
- whitebalance sunny or cloudy (or manual when it's close to sunset)
- iso 200 (I used to use 400, but it gets a bit noisy when you zoom in)
- kit lens set to 18mm (with a large rubber band)
- autofocus (having the camera select it's own AF point).
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Do any of you guys ever use RAW?
I know you lose out on absolute frame rate but you can still get a respectable number of pictures on a jump.

I'm not thinking tandem pics so much where speed and ease is an issue, but if you are shooting creative, or team pics?
Never try to eat more than you can lift