flr169

canon rebel XT

I have found 1 4 sale for 650us brand new...

thoughts on price...

Mike

====================
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting - "fcuk me what a ride!"

It's $750 US from B&H.

I'd be wary of any retailer selling one for $100 less. Check them out on http://www.resellerratings.com/ or similar. If it is a private sale, apply usual cautions.

BTW if Canon stick to their usual product cycle the XT should be replaced in the next month or so. That's no to say that they will or that you should get the new one, but the prices of the XT is likely to drop if a new model comes out.

Edited to add, $750 includes the kit lens, you can get the body only from B&H for $650

Dude, I know all you real pros love the FTP but man the side mounts are WAY-MO better for your neck!!! It keeps the CG closer to the main body!!!

I have NOT had bad neck pain sense I went side mount!!!! Too much on the top causes excessive head sling in all directions!!!!

My 2 cents, I know I am a fun jumper and part time TM video guy, but man my neck is way mo-happyer now!!!

Stay Safe,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

Arvel, I've never got bad info from you. I'm just getting old. Everything has to go on top and I
'm waiting for the new "XT".

Everything but flashes up top fron now on.

Bless McGowan. He is one tough son of a beoutch.

From what i can see - no one.
I just had a scan of the rumours and predictions part of the canon photography forums i read, and there is not even a mention of it. The only thing that is being discussed right now is the replacement for the 1ds (numbers like 22 MP and all sorts of fun stuff being hankered after there!!!)

BUT, timing suggests something is due in August, however if there is Canon are keeping it very quiet.
Personally, i think they are unlikely to update the 5D until they have done the 1D, i think the 30D is basically the "XT" version of the 20D, and the upgrade of the XT? your guess is as good as mine, although it would make sense for the christmas market.

Edited to add:
Ignore me. i just found some other opinions saying there will be announcements of the replacements for the 5D and the XT at Photokina.
Who knows.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I'm getting rid of my XT, was thinking of $600 with the kit lens or $550? without. PM me if you were interested
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Oh, I scored on a 20d, I'm still debating on whether to sell both and get the 30d tho.

Iwan, You might be interested in this, there's a 5d plus 70-300IS on craigslist going for $2500. Personally, I wouldn't keep the 70-300 but it can be resold for ~$450. A 5d for about 2 grand is a steal
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

Hey JP - gotta new camera?

Nope. I've just wrecked my neck. The 10D is too heavy.

Amen. I jump the XT with a TRV11, and my neck can't take much more. I'm a TM vidiot, and am still using my old trusty Protec. Hard openings hurt so bad. The weight is way to far forward. I jump a S120, and every once in a while it lets me know who's in charge.
The XT is mounted up front, the TRV11 on top.
It does a great job though. It's not fancy, but it does it's job rather well. My dzo jumps a 20D, and I've used it once. That was enough. Lately I've been having a hard time lifting my head up far enough in FF to make sure the tandem is centered in frame. I can do it, but it really hurts. (I've got a couple of herniated disks) From what I've been told a side mount with the still on top will help this in a big way. Any opinions? That, and we use a C-182 at my dz. My d-box keeps my video camera safe if I bump it on exit or the door drops on my head. Is there anything out there like that for the still if you top mount it? I've been looking and so far haven't seen anything. I go all the way out on the strut and turn towards the plane for the climbout shot.
That door comes down rather often to smack the top of my skull. I don't wish to have my XT up there exposed to that.
BS,
Sue

At only 800 total jumps, and your neck is already a wreck, I would indeed recommend a side mount and a better opening canopy.

I went from all on top to an FF2 with PC on the side and XT on the top, and noticed instantly the better feel on opening. I also went from my Stl-107 to a CF2, and the openings are THE BEST I have experianced in 28 years of jumping!!!!

Save yourself!!!

My 2 cents,

Arvel

It's $750 US from B&H.

I'd be wary of any retailer selling one for $100 less. Check them out on http://www.resellerratings.com/ or similar. If it is a private sale, apply usual cautions.

BTW if Canon stick to their usual product cycle the XT should be replaced in the next month or so. That's no to say that they will or that you should get the new one, but the prices of the XT is likely to drop if a new model comes out.

Edited to add, $750 includes the kit lens, you can get the body only from B&H for $650

there are quite a few deals on eBay for body+lens for $599 - both refurbs and NEW. And yes, they are legit.

and at the time of this post Dell has the XT (Body only) for $594 with a 15% coupon XP8$0?PPHS6WW? AND you can get a (i think) $45 off coupon on eBay for 99 cents.

paying retail is so not cool :)

At only 800 total jumps, and your neck is already a wreck, I would indeed recommend a side mount and a better opening canopy.

I went from all on top to an FF2 with PC on the side and XT on the top, and noticed instantly the better feel on opening. I also went from my Stl-107 to a CF2, and the openings are THE BEST I have experianced in 28 years of jumping!!!!

Save yourself!!!

My 2 cents,

Arvel

Hey Arvel,
It's actually just over 900 jumps now, hit that this weekend:)~ As for the openings, that was mostly my bad. After filming the opening basically in a sit, I would roll over and not wait to slow down before deploying. Oops. My 2nd rig has a Batwing-116 as the main. That thing has such nice openings for flying camera. To bad you'll never get home from a long spot if the tandem took to long to climb out though. Ground hungry little beast. My husbands old Diablo was the same way. That thing took forever to open, but it didn't hurt my neck. He's now jumping a S135 so I can't borrow his Diablo anymore.
Does it take a bit to get used to using a side mount? Do you have to aim differently? I haven't used my ring site in forever. It's just there to have a place to mount the Cameye light. The other camera flyers at my dz have only ever used one type or the other, so asking them doesn't help. Thank you so much for the advice!
BS,
Sue E.

At 900 jumps and your neck is already a wreck... I would take a serious look at rethinking your activities.

Physical Therapists are golden. Find one. Me, I happened to marry one....
Chiropracters are good, too.

Chiropracters make the pain go away, physical therapists help keep the pain away.

But most important is preventing the injury in the first place. Jump a canopy that never slams. I was shocked at how slowly a demo Katana 135 opened. I've never been slammed by my Samurai.

Topmounting is the best for preventing injury as long as you keep the weight up on top. That means top mounting - not front mounting. I have both stills and videos topmounted on my flat-top-pro, and it works well.

I'm still a young guy, and the thought of living the next 30 years in pain keeps me respectful of what we're doing here. I hope that if I find myself risking serious neck injury I would stop before it gets too late... :S

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Sue, I was a staunch supporter of Top Mount stuff for years. I just could not see how something on the side of me head would be any better, and I am a not so wide shouldered guy, so of course I had fears of the camera getting in the way of my risers!!

However; now that I am very comfortable with the every now and then bump of a riser on the back side of my FF2, I will never go back to top mount (unless the $$$ is GOOD) because the neck is in such better shape now!!!

It took me very little time to adjust to the helmet. I do set it up so that I can do both FF and Tandem Video; this just means for TM I look up a litte and for FF I look down a little.

Just find a nice fitting RAWA or FF2, put some jumps on it without a camera in it and see how it feels. Then try with a camera, I am sure that in the long run you will be very happy!!

Best of luck, stay safe,

Arvel

At 900 jumps and your neck is already a wreck... I would take a serious look at rethinking your activities.

Physical Therapists are golden. Find one. Me, I happened to marry one....
Chiropracters are good, too.

Chiropracters make the pain go away, physical therapists help keep the pain away.

But most important is preventing the injury in the first place. Jump a canopy that never slams. I was shocked at how slowly a demo Katana 135 opened. I've never been slammed by my Samurai.

Topmounting is the best for preventing injury as long as you keep the weight up on top. That means top mounting - not front mounting. I have both stills and videos topmounted on my flat-top-pro, and it works well.

I'm still a young guy, and the thought of living the next 30 years in pain keeps me respectful of what we're doing here. I hope that if I find myself risking serious neck injury I would stop before it gets too late... :S

_Am

Hey,
Re-thinking my activities? Not going to happenB|
I not only love skydiving, but running video and stills.
There is no way I'm going to give either one of those up. You can live your life in a cage, safely, and watch the rest of humanity enjoy life. Or, you can throw caution to the wind and LIVE life. We only get just so much time here, and then our time is done. I'm going to enjoy every last second of it, and do what I love.
I'm re-thinking my helmet in a big way, and where I have everything mounted. I jumped without my still this past weekend as the student was rather clear about just wanting video. What a difference. That digital still hanging out front makes the entire balance of the helmet so much different. I hardly noticed that I had anything on my head at all without it.
Thanks for the advice!
BS,
Sue E

Sue, I was a staunch supporter of Top Mount stuff for years. I just could not see how something on the side of me head would be any better, and I am a not so wide shouldered guy, so of course I had fears of the camera getting in the way of my risers!!

However; now that I am very comfortable with the every now and then bump of a riser on the back side of my FF2, I will never go back to top mount (unless the $$$ is GOOD) because the neck is in such better shape now!!!

It took me very little time to adjust to the helmet. I do set it up so that I can do both FF and Tandem Video; this just means for TM I look up a litte and for FF I look down a little.

Just find a nice fitting RAWA or FF2, put some jumps on it without a camera in it and see how it feels. Then try with a camera, I am sure that in the long run you will be very happy!!

Best of luck, stay safe,

Arvel

Hey!
I'm looking into a new helmet, and I'm not sure at this point if I'm going to go with all top mount, or a side mount with the still on top. From what I've gathered, all top mount is the better choice. One of the video guys at our dz has been side mount for about 12 years, and his neck is gone. The weight balance is to much to the side on opening. At this point he can't take the weight of a still for any reason. It's sad, because he's amazingly good at what he does.
Thanks for the advice!
BS,
Sue

One of the video guys at our dz has been side mount for about 12 years, and his neck is gone. The weight balance is to much to the side on opening. At this point he can't take the weight of a still for any reason.

Actually, he (I) was top-mount video, front mount stills for a number of years before going side-mount. Going side mount, for me, has been much better. My neck problems may be just as much from walking the Earth for 40 years as it is from skydiving with cameras. Stating that my "neck is gone" due to jumping side-mount and that "the weight balance is to [sic] much to the side on opening" is misleading and untrue.

It's sad, because he's amazingly good at what he does.

Okay... that part's true. ;)

-dp