JGarcia

Digital Photo Printers Revisited...

I did a rather extensive search on the forums last nite to get an idea of what other people are using to print their digital photos. The problem is that most posts are several years old and I'm wondering if there is any newer/better technology.

I read of people raving about their Epson 2200 & 1280's but that was in 2003. I also read about dye-sub printers...but then we're running into print size limitations and I'd rather not have white borders on printed pictures.

So, I'd like to see what the best compromise would be. I likely wont have to print bigger than 8 x 10's on the field, as I can send out for bigger prints if need be. At the same time, if there's an affordable (under $1000) inkjet that can come close to quality of dye-sub printers and can also print the bigger size prints (like 13 x 19's) let me know...

Cheers! B|

--Jairo
Low Profile, snag free helmet mount for your Sony X3000 action cam!

I use an EPSON R 1800

but be aware it is high humidity and high temp. sensitive, after bringing it inside it worked great

you cannot allow it to remain out in the open in a non AC hangor for 4/5 days in south TEXAS and expect it to work, at the temp/humidity play havoc with the ink cart. and heads

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

I have been using the Canon i9900 for a couple years now. It prints 13x19 borderless, it is really a fantastic printer and I have never had any problems with it. I don't remember how much it cost, but I think just a few hundred dollars.
I also have an Epson R220 for smaller print jobs, it has worked out really well too. We use it to print on all of our DVD's for the video concession.

I had a bad experience with Epson, my 1280 broke and I found it impossible to get it repaired. Seriously, Epson really don't have any post sales customer service.

I've since made the switch to Canon, and am using a multifunction Epson MP950 at home and am very happy with it. I plan on buying a less expensive Epson for the trailer at some point.

It seems that as Ink Jet based printers continue to improve, there's less reason every day to deal with dye-subs.

_A
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I have been using the Canon i9900 for a couple years now. It prints 13x19 borderless, it is really a fantastic printer and I have never had any problems with it. I don't remember how much it cost, but I think just a few hundred dollars.

Ditto... I have the same printer, and I love it. I paid $600 CDN for it about 3 months ago.

i take it it worked after adequate de-humidification?

YES after dryout and cool down it worked great
I think the problem was the ink cartridges.high humidity 75/90% every day for 6 days along with daytime temps of 95ish played havock.

we kept the paper boxed up so me thinks that was not part of the problem.

since we do 90% of out printing business the last day of an event we will keep the printer in the a/c camper till last 2 days.
burning cd's never an issue

computer also no problem and it has high end video card and 8 gb of ram with P4- at 3 gig speet ..its generated heat so I think it de humidifies itself

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com