klr

Ban on topmounted cameras in a Porter

Hi,

Has anybody ever heard of a ban on topmounted cameras in a Pilatus Porter ? A DZ I go to bought a porter recently & has put a total ban on top mounted vid or stills cameras in place for it. Has anybody heard of this anywhere else ?

'I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in somebody elses blood, I plan to leave it the same way.'

No. But i see two locations where damage is possible

1/ interference with a mechanical flaps crank and its usage when the videot sits on a high copilot seat

2/ hits on the flaps aileron when the videot exits the door in order to climb to the video step/video handle.

Both situations can be handled by careful videots and proper briefing.

Stefan

Hi StefB,

yeah I could see how that could happen in the copilot seat if you weren't aware of it.

theres only a few cameramen here who've got topmount stills & they're no fools, none of us have spent all that money on decent digital cameras to start whacking them off the flaps or on the edge of the door. ;)

piisfish -
The impression I got talking to the man in charge was that they were 'advised' that topmounted cameras could snag control lines just under the roof.

I kinda found it hard to believe, especially as I've jumped a topmounted camera in Spain & the US out of a porter - hence the post asking has anybody heard anything similar ?

.... it might be that they couldn't be ars*d to replace the lining.

'I came into this world kicking and screaming and covered in somebody elses blood, I plan to leave it the same way.'

The impression I got talking to the man in charge was that they were 'advised' that topmounted cameras could snag control lines just under the roof.

Just like in a 182, right?

How many 1000's of top mounted camera jumps are done each year out of a 182?

Is it similar to how the controls are routed in a 182 above the headliner?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No they where advised when they bought the plane that there is cables running under the head cloth and these could be damaged by top mounted cameras so it’s a ban for safety reasons not cosmetic and yes I have jumped lots of porters where this rule doesn’t apply.
This doesn't mean the other DZs are right and yours is wrong

Hi,

thanks.

The lad in charge is a fairly reasonable guy. I was just wondering if anybody had heard something similar. After years of 182s and 206s we're just glad to have a porter !

Porters have aileron, flap AND elevator trim cables running through the ceiling (from the trim crank beside the pilot's head, aft).
Cessnas have fewer cables in their ceilings, usually only aileron and flap cables.

Ok, thank you for the clarification. That's why I asked.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hey there

It's not just to do with the interior gettting damaged, most people wont be sitting that high for the lining to be damaged. I think it's mainly got to do with the wing not getting damaged. The wing can get damaged so easily, a small knock and it'll be dinted (its happend before) but if there was a top mounted camera on a helmet the damage would be significantly worse.

I know the camera guys n girls in the IPC are careful but if one is allowed then everyone has to be allowed including visitors who might not be so careful and I don't think they're willing to take the risk, cant say I blame them when ya see how easy it can be damaged.

KLR I'll show you at the weekend how easily it can be damaged. Dont forget my video.

Thats it....
No! damaging the flaps
No! caring about the door being slammed back
No! more skydiving from the porter
No! packing in the hangar
No jumping unless a tandem load goes first
No! making the plane go around for a second pass
Yes! you must take the downwind spot into the next county.
No! need to bother to check the spot just door and GO!
No! The porters has right of way on landing
Yes! it needs to get down quick to sit for 10 mins on the runway waiting for the next load of tandems or a group who are on a magical mystery boarding call.

Yes! This is a Disclaimer:
Any similarity of people or situations in real life too the situations described above are purely coincidental
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"