Ducky

Jumping out of date reserve???

What happens if you unknowingly jump w/ a reserve that is outta date??? I know you won't turn into a pumpking and it won't explode... :S:S
Perhaps a lil background on why I ask is in order....

So it's been a bit slow at work this week and looks like I might finish up early tomorrow. Based on this information I did what any sane skydiver did I made plans to jump the second I found out. It seems free time is gettin harder to come by these days.

Anyways I get everything all lined up w/ plans to get to bed early, to work early, out early and airborne early. One problem, I forgot my reserve repack expired this past Saturday. I admitted defeat and realized I can't jump. Watched the weather thinking I would only be sickened, but saw it will most likely rain so it's not too bad.

Question is; say I went and jumped tomorrow and then at the end of the day I realize oh shit my reserve is past due. I then take it to my rigger who says "Hey, weren't you jumping this today??" Do I get beaten w/ a powertool? choked w/ a pullup cord? owe a case of beer or what?? I know I could search through my SIMS and find the answer, but I think this forum might be a good place to raise this discussion. I was also curious of a more real world outcome of my near screw up.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

I've jumped my reserve outa date ....and I know a LOT of other jumpers do to....Its not like once your reserve goes outa date its garbage I mean we pack ours every 120 days where other palces every I think 180 so as far as your reserve physically being ok ..it should be ...I mean a reserve can fail after two days of a repack or work 130 days after.... but its still good to be on top of it!! as for what would happen to you I can only speak for my DZ...they'd tell you jsut get it in for the repack as soon as you can... there not going to beat you or chastize you but instead remind you to get it in and they may say ok you jumped it today but we need to repack it before you jump again!! No problem!! Let me add that I'm not condoning jumping an out of date rig I'm just saying it happens...I jumped mine and realized it was out and just took it in for the repack!! I personally would never intentionally jump one but hey it happens!!

jason
Freedom of speech includes volume

Well yes obviously like I said it's not like the thing would have exploded on my back or anything. I was more curious about how this action would have been received by others. I have no desire to be viewed as a careless or irresponsible skydiver as i am far from it.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

well just for that responce YOU SER ARE A RECKLESS CARELESS JUMPER!!!!;)...... (j/k) ...yeah its good you cuaght it ...just go get it repacked I couldnt see any DZO raising a huff if your honest with them....GOOD TIMES!!B|

jason

I have no desire to be viewed as a careless or irresponsible skydiver as i am far from it.

Then what would you call it?

I'm not sure I follow?? What would I call what?

kwak

I have no desire to be viewed as a careless or irresponsible skydiver as i am far from it.

Then what would you call it?

I'm not sure I follow?? What would I call what?

What would you call your failure to maintain your gear properly by getting repacks when due. My experience is many who are causual about repacks are also casual about other aspects of skydiving.

Why have standards at all if our attitude is that we can always push them a little further? If 2 or 3 days after a repack is due is O.K., then why not a few weeks? If thats O.K. , why not a few months? Hell, what wrong with a year?

Although it's a rare occurance, jumping an out of date reserve "COULD" jeapordize the pilots license.
Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to get you to think about your statement. Where do you draw the line?

For what it's worth, I am for the 180 day repack cycle, but until we have it, I think it's our responsibility to maintain our gear according to the FARs. FARS aren't suggestions, they are the law.

My post is about that I nearly made the mistake of jumping a reserve 4 days out of date. I however caught my mistake and did not do so. I think irresponsible or careless would be someone who would knowingly jump an out of date reserve.

kwak

Man Gravity ..no offence but relax ...he just said he cuaght himself and hes fixing it...I'm sure you cant tell me you havnt missed anything in your life and thought o shit I better get it fixed!!

jason

Man Gravity ..no offence but relax ...he just said he cuaght himself and hes fixing it...I'm sure you cant tell me you havnt missed anything in your life and thought o shit I better get it fixed!!

Yep, I have. Plenty of times. I was also grateful for the times when I was thinking about letting something slide and someone pointed out the consequences to me.:ph34r:

I was also grateful for the times when I was thinking about letting something slide and someone pointed out the consequences to me

[TROLL]Oh now what could possibly go wrong with letting a reserve repack lapse[/TROLL]..;):)
jason

Unfortunately it's the pilot in command of the aircraft that would be held responsible for having you on his plane with an out of date reserve.

Unfortunately, that's not true. Please reread FAR part 105.43 again and note that responsibility is shared by both pilot and jumper. Also note the use of terms "Parachute Operation" and "Person" in many of the part 105 regulations. Then, cross reference part 105.3 (Definitions, "Parachute Operation" and part 1.1 (Definitions, "Person").

"...No person may conduct a parachute operation...and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation..."

Responsibility for violating the reserve repack, and most other regulations, is shared by the pilot, jumper, rigger, DZ owner/operator, jump master, and just about anybody else that is involved in the violation at any level.

An inadvertent violation isn't likely to be identified, but willful violations that are identified can cause action to be brought against the parachute center or any of the people involved.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

"...No person may conduct a parachute operation...and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation..."

Responsibility for violating the reserve repack, and most other regulations, is shared by the pilot, jumper, rigger, DZ owner/operator, jump master, and just about anybody else that is involved in the violation at any level.

Not saying you're wrong, but thats not what it says in the FAR (that you quoted). It says the responsibility is shared by the pilot and the jumper. Now whats the worst thing the FAA could do to the jumper? A fine? The chances of being caught are pretty damn slim. Either a ramp check by an FAA inspector (anyone ever seen that happen?) or a reserve malfunction that probably killed the jumper. I think most jumpers would be willing to take the risk. The pilot on the other hand has everything to lose.

The way I see it, the pilot can only go so far to ensure everyone's reserve is in date. The most he can do is check the data cards. If everything APPEARS to be in date, the chance that the pilot would get in any trouble is basically zero. Course it is the FAA we're talking about so things don't have to make sense. But my point is that, as far as the pilot is concerned, you're better off forging a rigger's signature than mistakenly jumping an out of date reserve. Course that's a bad idea for its own reasons, but it's probably safer for the pilot.

Dave

...Not saying you're wrong, but thats not what it says in the FAR (that you quoted). It says the responsibility is shared by the pilot and the jumper...

OK, I'll quote some more...

105.3, Definitions: "Parachute Operation means the performance of all activity for the purpose of, or in support of, a parachute jump or a parachute drop. This parachute operation can involve, but is not limited to, the following persons: parachutist, parachutist in command and passenger parachutist in tandem parachute operations, drop zone owner or owner or operator, jump master, certified parachute rigger, or pilot."

1.1 Definitions "Person means an individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or government entity. It includes a trustee, receiver, assignee, or similar representative of any of them."
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Either a ramp check by an FAA inspector (anyone ever seen that happen?)

yep - and the only rig out of date was the pilot's [:/]

they do happen though and when you least expect them. They happen more frequently if they do one and find something of course.......
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

In my book (I used to be a pretty active rigger), it's worth hitting yourself on the forehead and saying "D'oh, I'm such an idiot" and then moving on to the next topic.

After all, you take care of it as soon as you realize, right?

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Jumping an out of date reserve is like driving drunk. You will get away with it a few times when you are young, but in the long run it will kill you.
The issue is not some magical clock-work mechanism that locks your reserve pin after 121 days. Rather, the issue is catching wear and tear problems while they are easy to repair. If a piece of nylon is allowed to fray too long, it can become an expensive repair or kill you.

As for what the FAA can do to you: the SECOND time they caught Steve Magnuson repacking his own reserve (without a riggers' license) and forging a rigger's signature, they fined him US$500!

And I believe that skydivers should be held responsible for out-of-date reserves, poor spotting, bandit demo jumps, etc.

Oh and feel free to forge my signature on your reserve card. Just remember that you owe me $55 EVERY time my signature appears on your card.

At my DZ, the office has your reserve repack date in the computer so when you show up and open your account, they will know if you're getting close to your reserve repack date or if you're due for one. They are really great in reminding you - "Hey, your reserve is due to be repacked in 2 weeks." And, when it shows up red on the computer, they ask you for your reserve repack card. If you're not in date, you don't jump that rig.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

And I believe that skydivers should be held responsible for out-of-date reserves, poor spotting, bandit demo jumps, etc.

Yes to Bandit Demos and out of Date - reserves. But fined for a Bum spot - it would have to be a pretty bad one!!
----------
Ben G
Still Sinking :-(

>Jumping an out of date reserve is like driving drunk.

I'd say it's more like driving with an out of date registration. Sure, you might get caught. And since you don't need an inspection to renew the registration if you skip doing that, there's the chance that important safety equipment (i.e. the brakes) don't work right.

I don't think I'd compare it to drunk driving though. A jumper who is legal in another country, and is 150 days into his 180 day repack cycle, does not become less safe (i.e. like a drunk driver) if he jumps the same rig in the US.

The big issue, to me, is that it's not you who gets in trouble, it's the pilot - so it's a bigger deal.

>Oh and feel free to forge my signature on your reserve card. Just
> remember that you owe me $55 EVERY time my signature appears
> on your card.

Interesting. So if you found someone jumping with your name forged, you'd charge him $55? And if he went in under that pack job, how would you explain that it's your name on there, and you charged him for a repack - but it's really not your work?

Charging someone for work you didn't do sounds a little scary.

The way I feel about it is, I don't want to cause my DZO any problems with the FAA just because of my negligence. Having said that, if you or anyone else jumps an out of date reserve, and you end up using it, please submit the outcome to the PIA so that they can have the data to fight for the 180 day repack cycle. Thankyou very much.

I think perhaps this thread has taken some turns in the worng direction. I didn't at anytime intend to or even contemplate jumping my rig w/ an out of date reserve knowingly. It's not as though I was schemeing on how I could get away with it.

As for my gear slipping into disrepair only 4 days after the exp. date doubtful. Especially since I take great care inspecting my gear.

I agree w/ Billvon that it is more like driving w/ an expired registraion or inspection sticker. Which I have done w/o realizing before only to recieve said registration a week late in the mail and be reminded I had been illegally driving all week.

In the instance discussed about my reserve I did know that my reserve was coming up for a repack, I even considered leaving it w/ a rigger the last time I was at a DZ. Unfortunately I was not at my home DZ. My home DZ is 1.5 hours away and just dropping it off is not practical. I more recently have been splitting my time between DZs, but would still prefer one rigger to maintain my gear. I do not see a reserve repack in the same light I see getting my drycleaning done. The rigger at the new DZ I have been going to is probably quite capable and knowledgeable, yet I KNOW the one I have used til now is. If for no other reason I have one save under one of his pack jobs (thanks Mike).

I'm not sure why I feel the need to explain in such deatil excpet that it seemed this thread was perceived in the wrong way. Perhaps more likely the case people failed to read the original post or the entire thread and only the responses instead. My original question was asking how the situation would have been received had I not realized/remembered my reserve was out of date.

kwak