Bowen

Canon 18-55mm EF-S Lens

I am looking to buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. I have seen prices for the camera with the 18-55mm EF-S Lens and prices without. I am going to use it for taking pics in the tunnel and personal daily pics. I want wide angle shots so do I attach a wide angle lens to the 18-55mm EF-S or do I detach the 18-55mm EF-S from the camera and mount the wide angle. I'm sorry for being still camera dumb.

Thank you,
Bowen

Former dealer for 2k Composites, Skysystems, Alti-2, Wings

I am looking to buy a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. I have seen prices for the camera with the 18-55mm EF-S Lens and prices without. I am going to use it for taking pics in the tunnel and personal daily pics. I want wide angle shots so do I attach a wide angle lens to the 18-55mm EF-S or do I detach the 18-55mm EF-S from the camera and mount the wide angle. I'm sorry for being still camera dumb.

Thank you,
Bowen

Im not sure exactly what you are asking, it sounds like you are asking if you can mount two lenses on the camera at the same time. If that is your question, the answer is now, still cameras do not work the same way that video cameras do. On a video camera you can mount the wide angle lens over the lens that is built into the camera. On an SLR still camera which is what you are looking at the lenses are interchangable meaning, you can take one off and put another one on. At the risk of sounding like an ass, You really need to buy a book and read up on photography or take a class. THe camera you are buying is a great piece of equipment, but if you dont know how to use it and all of its settings properly you might as well be shooting with a point and click. The 18-55 mm lens you are talking about is the one that comes with the camera, its a good starter lens I have used it many times with photos I have been fortunate enough to get published. Many people have different opinions on that lens but its a good place to start. Good luck, I hope this answered your question

The 18 mm end of that zoom IS wide angle. Forget about the attachments you can get on ebay, fine on a camcorder, rubbish on a stills camera. That 18mm is probably as wide as you need to go for now, and the 18-55 is absolutely fine as a walkabout lens until you know what you want a bit more accurately and have some cash for more really good lenses.
Another poster mentioned the 10-22, i'd say its too wide for general everyday use (I know people are jumping them but you are implying you are using it for all sorts?)

Hope this helps

Dave
Never try to eat more than you can lift

I have to agree with Stumpy here, stick with the 18-55 until you feel you need to change to something wider or longer.

It has plenty of range for what you are mentioning about shotting, however; you may want to consider a flash!!

Later,

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499