freefallcrab

DVD burn from Premiere

I am having formatting issues burning DVDs and wonder if anyone can help. I have done a search but came up with techie stuff that I didnt really understand.

Trying to burn DVDs through Nero 6 on an external burner from my laptop editing using Prem 6.0 LE. The editing software produces an AVI file - and I cant seem to be able to proiduce any other formats (eg mpeg, vob). Nero will not accept avi (it seems to me) so I am a bit stuck. Started l;ooking for codec/authoring options on the Internet last night but quickly ran out of understanding.

Any non-technical help would be much appreciated as I have a stack of promised 4-way and AFF vids piling up.

Use your wings Johnny....

You need a DVD authoring program. Adobe Encore will do this (stay away from version 1) but Nero Vision Express is much easier. Other manufacturers offer similar programs (Ulead etc). Newer versions of Premiere will also burn to DVD.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Well it will let you create a dvd on a disk or harddrive. You cannot save a single video file to a single vob file AFAIK. So you create an avi for VE or avi/mpg4 (saves re-coding time) for Encore, and use those to create the final dvd.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I am having formatting issues burning DVDs and wonder if anyone can help. I have done a search but came up with techie stuff that I didnt really understand.

Trying to burn DVDs through Nero 6 on an external burner from my laptop editing using Prem 6.0 LE. The editing software produces an AVI file - and I cant seem to be able to proiduce any other formats (eg mpeg, vob). Nero will not accept avi (it seems to me) so I am a bit stuck. Started l;ooking for codec/authoring options on the Internet last night but quickly ran out of understanding.

Any non-technical help would be much appreciated as I have a stack of promised 4-way and AFF vids piling up.

You can convert the AVI to other formats using Microsoft Encoder 9 - it is a free download...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I thought I had it cracked. Got home from work and started from scratch. This time got nero Express to accept the avi file. So far so good. Select burn and watch the file transcoding. Great. At the end of the transcoding I see the progress indicator change to burning to DVD then the tray opens, the disk pops out and up comes a 'burn aborted' message. This error log means nothing to me:
[17:16:05] NeroVision Book Type counter: 500, Book Type selected in EEPROM, command version 2
[17:16:05] NeroVision
[17:16:05] NeroVision 17:16:03 #27 Text 0 File DVDR.cpp, Line 4818
[17:16:05] NeroVision Drive: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG
[17:16:05] NeroVision Book Type request: DVD-ROM
[17:16:05] NeroVision Book Type setting not supported for the loaded disc type
[17:16:05] NeroVision 17:16:03 #28 CDR -1046 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1614
[17:16:05] NeroVision Illegal disc
[17:16:05] NeroVision 17:16:03 #29 TRANSFER -27 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1614
[17:16:05] NeroVision Could not perform start of Disc-at-once
[17:16:05] NeroVision 17:16:03 #30 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 273
[17:16:05] NeroVision Burn process failed at 2.4x (3,324 KB/s)
[17:16:05] NeroVision Existing drivers:
[17:16:05] NeroVision File 'Drivers\ASPI32.SYS': Ver=4.60 (1021), size=25244 bytes, created 10/09/1999 12:06:00
[17:16:05] NeroVision Registry Keys:
[17:16:05] NeroVision HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

Anyone any ideas? I am at the stage of robbing a bank to buy a Mac and trash this whole set-up
>:(

Is Nero the ONLY authoring program you have?
A VOB contains an MPEG file, and Premiere (All versions) can create the MPEG 2 file. If you have Encore, this is very easy to author with.
You might want to try DVD Lab as well. Or, if you can simply output the MPEG file, try Sony DVD Architect trial.
I've got a book on Encore that I wrote for both versions 1.0 and 1.5, I'm happy to give you a copy for the price of shipping.

DSE thanks for the offer. Nero is the only authoring package I have and I am reluctant to add to it because I am on the verge of starting afresh with a Mac if I cant overcome this problem. I just wish I could get the damn thing to burn >:( . I appreciate the help though, thanks. Seems I have overcome the formatting problem (at least avi is recognised now), it just wont burn.

iDVD and DVD Studio Pro are both better than Encore, IMO, but you've also got a learning curve.
I'd recommend trying the trial of at least DVD Architect, and/or DVD Lab. Both are very easy, fast, and powerful. You've got a *decent* mpeg encoder in Premiere, powered by Main Concept's old codec.
Nero is buggy at best, most of the time. That's where your real problem lies, IMO, Nero just isn't great for this sort of work.

Maybe just a bad disk? I had trouble one time with VE because I had some conflicting codecs installed (do NOT instaal ANY codec pack [:/]), but that gave a very different error log...

You could just burn the DVD to a folder first and then burn it to DVD with Nero Burning Rom ...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I use Nero Express 3. It came with Nero Suite that I got with a Lite-on internal DVD burner. Start Nero Smartstart, select DVD and click on Photo and Video. Then click on Make your own video. That will start NeroVision Express. Then add video, I just left click drag it from Explorer down to the taskbar over the Nero program and it will come to the front and then put the cursor on the add box and let loose, the video will be added. Add more videos or click next and your burning. Sometimes if I put the wrong disk in it will look like it's working and then come up with the error you got. Just put a different DVD in. A slower one or a +R or -R

DVD Workshop 2 is another great product, I don't know why it always slips my mind...Solid, easy to use, etc. The encoder leaves a fair amount to be desired, but it's easy to create great menus, playlists, etc. One of the most feature-rich tools out there, and I *believe* their demo includes the encoder.

Thanks for all the input guys. Error lines like this:

NeroVision Book Type setting not supported for the loaded disc type

made me wonder about the disc so I tried several, including a RW disc that I know works on the DVD recorder hooked up to the TV.

Still trying unsuccessfully here. Set it up to burn CD rather than DVD and it did actually burn the lead-n files to the disk before it failed (so I guess the connectivity and hardwarre is proved) but no joy with DVD burning. It fails at the start of the DISC at ONCE step (whatever that means).>:(

Disc at once means you're burning and finalizing the disc in one step with most systems, rather than building an open ended disc that can be added to later.
have you tried the trial versions of any of the softwares I mentioned? Again, post or send me your system specs, I might be able to help.
Do you by chance have a VIA chipset? If so, be sure you're using the 4 in 1 driverset.

DSL - I took you up on your offer and mailed you yesterday at an address I found in your profile - maybe it was the wrong addy. Thanks for explaining the Disc at once message. I dont have a VIA chipset, and I havent tried any of your software suggestions yet (like I said I am reluctant to spend more money on the system!!!).

I would like to try something else- maybe I can send the finshed video project back to the camera from Premiere then burn it to the DVD recorder/player I have hooked up to my TV (it has firewire input socket). Searching through here I find that Euro PC models like my PC9 do not have DV IN so I guess I cant take the file back to the camera. Can anyone tell me if I am right?

Most of the EU camcorders have the DV input disabled as a result of copyright agreements. Silly, but that's the way it was. This should be changing now, but...that won't help you.
Can you take the firewire output of your computer, feed it to the firewire input of your DVD burner, and do a jam sync print to the DVD burner from the Premiere timeline? It should work, but possible it won't, of course.