skymoo

Best helmet and casing for Sony HC3

I assume that is a prototype and the finished version will be "ahem" more professional looking?

Can you be a little more specific and helpful? What do you not like and why? what would you change about the current design?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Sorry, as I said I meant no offence. It just looks home made to me. The edges look rough and it does not seem to have that polished finish look like other bonehead boxes I have seen.

Is it functional? Does the camera stay secure when closed? The interior looks a bit rough and not smooth to me. It would be nice to see a thin layer of memory foam to help cushion the exterior of the camera. The whole idea is to protect the unit and have a stable mounting platform.

Also I would like to have the option of the larger battery.

Again, maybe it is just the photos

Do you have any pics with the camera mounted in it?

Well the edges and interior are not rough, they are quite smooth. The box fits like a glove. I have some foam that allows a superb fit.

It's not mounted yet. Hope to get it put together this weekend.
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Right now I have it temp installed on my bellymount platform. I have made a cut with the dimensions of 1.25 inches wide by 1 inch tall where the battery protrudes.

I put some foam around the lens area and a layer on the bottom. Thus giving a very snug, solid fit and feel to the camera in the box.

At some point I will transition this to my camera helmet and post pictures at that point.
Leroy

I am curious why the back corner is cut out. If you are using a remote switch like a cam-eye plugged in to the lanc port why would you need that open?

My concern would be the switch being exposed like that might get bumped and turn the camera off at a critical moment. Part of the reason I would want a box is to protect the switches.

A few months ago I was doing a video of a 16 way out of a casa and seconds before exit my Sony TRV50 had the switch bumped and I missed the whole dive. The TRV switch is in about the same place as the HC3.

Did BH supply the foam or did you have to add that yourself?

Thanks for the pics, it looks much better with the camera mounted.

I am curious why the back corner is cut out.

They made it that way?

Did BH supply the foam or did you have to add that yourself?

They supplied the foam I used on the lens area. The foam on the bottom is what I had from other projects. I did though have enough to suppied foam to do what I did anyway.
Leroy

It's very strange to see that no proper case available for HC3 even though several month passed since the launch of this camera (April, 2006).
Therefore I created my own case in June so far.
It's totally home-made. The design is patented ;)
I didn't need to remove the hand strap, only the front connector cover had to be cut because of the CAM-EYE LANC cable.
All handles, buttons are protected by foamed cover but they are easily accessible by opening the 'door'.
I mounted it on a RAWA helmet and it's been performing very well. :P

Tom
May the FORCE (g) be with you! ...and your open chute against it!

That looks nice. I got an email from Cookie Composites and they will have a box available for shipping in the next 4 weeks. Pictures should be available on their website in the next few days.

I didn't like the pics I saw of the BH because the main switch is exposed and could easily switch the camera off or to a non-record mode at a critical moment. (like during climb out)

It only takes a slight bump on this camera to turn it off. You have to depress the green safety switch to turn it on but there is no safety to flick it off or to a different mode.

Your box looks like everything is covered. Nice Job!

What an incredible job skysurf - just amazing. BH hit first, cookie protected more, and Rawa... word has it they're working on it... so far, and by far, skysurf's pet project looks the best... after all that work, measuring, and experience, you should think of talking to your teammate and making a few more to sell ... marginal cost should not be too bad. Thank all you guys for your replies, as soon as the guys at Rawa send me info, I will definitely post.
http://www.childrenofthesky.com

Freefly!

I arrived home from the DZ last night to find my brand new Cookie HC3 Box and .5 Lense waiting for me B|
it is Sweeet !
Smooth design closure system is surprisingly secure
Perfect camera and lense fit with the liquid .5 and my Royal .3... all the same anyway i know....
Loads of room for larger batteries
Cameye or Hypye fits neatly as the box closes without having to remove or bend the plug covers..

I still have to mount it yet but its looking good so far

Nice work From Cookie ;)
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Hey Freeflyer, we are in suspense! how did it go? how well does it behave mounted? does it keep the same center everytime you place the camera back in the box, or do you have to re-align your site? is there a screw on the bottom to the tripod screw hole?
Picts? bands hold up ok?
Looking forward to your reply,

Freefly!

Hey
i haven't had a chance to jump it yet
Ireland has been under a huge thunderous raincloud for the past two weeks :<

The box came with a one of cookies camera mounting screws
and there is a hole in the bottom to suit
the lense fits the opening exactly so there is little scope for the camera too shift around.. couple of mill maximum
i also cut a little notch in the front for my hypeye cable
the box closes perfectly with everything in the positions you see it in the pictures

I am considering another helmet and setup for video and stills so the direct mount on my Rawa is temporary

pics posted here

http://mike-barrett.blogspot.com/
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

I got my box from cookie also last week and I'm mounting it with the same set up, exept that my quick release plate is from Bonehead (goldmember).
The only thing that I'm worried is that there is a big potencial for snaging the lines and as I'm using it for 99% of my jumps in BASE jumping I'm a bit scared of this.
What is your experience?
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Question to all you guys: Do you consider the quick release necessary for this box, or do you have it installed to switch cameras easily? don't have it in my budget to buy the quick release.... so let me know if I really do need it! B|

Freefly!