packing_jarrett

Docking on tandems

don't we all struggle with the fat ones?

1) which group of people do you refer to when you say "we all"?
2) Only when they want to hug after landing...

In your defence: I was jumping tandemvideo with 200 jumps, that went well but...
if I couldn't level the speed properly I kept some distance.
That's how "we all" keep it safe.
Your docking to keep up story shows me that you don't really understand the game yet...

P.S.:
I would recommend getting a .5 so you are a bit further away when you fuck up. (notice that I don't use "if", cause you will)
"Don't make me come down there" - God.

My site:http://www.skystudio.nl/video.html
Some of my vids: http://www.youtube.com/user/TomSkyStudio

It's very cool to see most of you guys are (just a few exceptions) trying to give "flying technique" advice.
But this dude has ONLY 200 jumps!!! He has no F#$@ business to fly with the tandem period!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this: i've seen this dude around the forums for a while and as i understand it his old man is a DZO (iirc). He's also already filming tandems, i would guess with the consent of either his old man or the TI that he's flying with.

Now while i don't agree with what he's doing there's no ways anyone on the internet shouting at him is going to make him stop. Thus i'd rather see experienced camera guys give him advice that keeps him out from under a tandem or off the TI's back and away from the drogue.

Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

Thank you, Peej. I've jumped with him twice...realized who it was later on. Was not scared (myself), but completely agree with your assesment.

If you have to grab me to make up for your lack of skill.....You will never video for me.

Safety is not all about jump numbers. and jump numbers isn't all about experience

You keep telling yourself that. The rest of us know better, maybe someday you will know better as well.

Hell yeah I'm jumping a stiletto 120. I'm blasting it with the rears and everything. I'm downsizing even. Safety is a relative term.

You are reminding me of a guy that died just this past weekend....He also thought he had it covered. I hope I don't read about you as a sticky.

Maybe you should read this and learn a little http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2346895#2346895
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

You are reminding me of a guy that died just this past weekend....He also thought he had it covered. I hope I don't read about you as a sticky.

Maybe you should read this and learn a little http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2346895#2346895

That sad thing Ron, is that people with an attitude like this guy has demonstrated do not respond to logic. Your example is perfectly relevant, but he will not see it as so. It will only strengthen his stubborn resolve. The only things that are likely to stop him are personal experience (a bad one) and outright physical restraint (regulation/prevention).

I do not make this statement based on my skydiving experience; I make it as a psychological/character evaluation. Then again, it is difficult to judge character over the internet. Maybe underneath all the know-it-all responses there is really some serious thought going on and we're getting through to him.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

the 140 is a mistype sorry bout that it should read 170. I don't know much about cameras. I used a .3 because I can get close and get everything. I use it because people tell me to.

Safety is not all about jump numbers. and jump numbers isn't all about experience. I've been videoing tandems for awhile. My dad let me chase his tandems when I started early. Now that I have done a good job others have let me.
Hell yeah I'm jumping a stiletto 120. I'm blasting it with the rears and everything. I'm downsizing even. Safety is a relative term.

You're an vidiot.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

dude you guys aren't getting through to me by yelling at me. I don't KNOW-it-all. I asked a serious question and some people responded with good advice others told me that I'm going to fucking DIE. I don't think thats very cool. Not that its a bragging point buy I've seen people get hurt and die first hand probably more than most people on here for how long I've been around this sport. I haven't fucked up yet and haven't even came close to, but the doesn't mean I won't. Like in this past incident accidents could happen to anyone at anytime. you could be next I could be next. but since there is no inherit dangers that I, my dzo/s&ta, fellow jumpers, instructors, and my dad have seen there is no reason to stop what YOU PEOPLE think is dangerous.
Na' Cho' Cheese

yes but thats all I wanted was advice. not people embarrassing me calling me an idiot or asking when the memorial dive is. I respect the whole "you shouldn't be docking on tandems just yet because xyz blah blah" I respected that. Oh and so everyone knows I don't dock on tandems for the whole fall rate issue anymore. I used that as a crutch and don't need it anymore. you guys can check out one of my earlier videos...http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=4209 (i've fixed the centering problem if you happen to watch the video)
Na' Cho' Cheese

Dude. I kinda know how you feel if you look back to some of my very first posts.
I asked for certain advice about canopy shit and didn't get what I was looking for and just got the "your gonna die" treatment. I was super pissed.
Then, I just thought everyone was being jackasses and had no clue what was up and how I was superior to all mankind. J/k...
Now that I have alot more experience (yet still not enough) I realize I was the one being the jackass, and thank God I was lucky enough to not kill myself.
Now when I teach people I tell them mistakes I made and hopefully they'll listen and not try to figure it out themselves. There's too many people that think they're different and can do it their way, then get fucked up.
So, I hope that your as lucky as me to not die when thinking your the shit. Cuz your not. Don't think your an exception just because you grew up around the sport.
So, hopefully you'll continue to jump and be safe and someday realize maybe everything you've done isn't so smart, but be glad you made it through it all alive.

:DBut what do I know, I'm only 21:P

I've mostly quit posting here but still lurk.

To those of you that are still ragging on Jarrett remember this - he's straight up with you, doesn't inflate his #'s or his age so he looks better, stays here despite the abuse you've given and truely asks questions to learn.

In that he shows more maturity that many 30 something's with twice as many jumps or more.

IMO only those of you that have never committed an unsafe skydive are qualified to rag on this kid.
illegible usually

I've mostly quit posting here but still lurk.

To those of you that are still ragging on Jarrett remember this - he's straight up with you, doesn't inflate his #'s or his age so he looks better, stays here despite the abuse you've given and truely asks questions to learn.

In that he shows more maturity that many 30 something's with twice as many jumps or more.

IMO only those of you that have never committed an unsafe skydive are qualified to rag on this kid.

that WOULD leave me out . . .:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Where exactly is Yourafag? I'd like to let my friends know to never do a tandem there.

BTW your dad, DZO, S&TA, and TI you are jumping with are the ones who should get a serious ripping. They are the ones who are being really stupid. Not you, what the hell do you know, you're only 15 right? That's no joke. Just my opinion, I don't know much either. What I do know is that if I was a TI or let alone any staff at that DZ, I'd be fucking hightailing it out of there. Someones gonna get fucked up.. someones gonna sue.. and someones gonna win. Hopefully noone dies. Good luck with that.

Anyone with me?

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

If you think letting someone do tandem videos at 15 years old with 200 jumps while downsizing like a madman isn't stupid, then you go ahead and take it personal.

I think it's downright irresponsible and borderline criminally negligent, but hey.. that's just my opinion.

I dread the day I log in to check the incidents forum, and I see that a 16 year old kid w/ 400 jumps killed himself and others because he got in over his head learning something new. And all the while, people who were morally and legally obligated to watch out for his safety sat back and watched it all go down. Where do YOU draw the line? 100 jumps? 150 jumps?

I'm surprised the gear manufacturers aren't getting involved with this one. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

In his profile, he lists his location as "Yourafag", if you were talking about that being a personal attack.

In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

dude did you read the whole thread? You couldn't have because you wouldn't be saying that. Whats wrong with being 15? Whats wrong with shooting tandem vids at 250 jumps? Tell me whats wrong with jumping a stiletto 120 at 250 jumps? You probably haven't seen too many 15 yr old skydivers. But if been to a half dozen dz I know you've seen vidiots with not that many jumps. I know you've seen people jumping way higher performance canopies and a higher wingloading with less than 250 jumps.

A guy who was yelling at me hear came to see me jump. At the end of the day he wanted to apologize for the way he acted. He blindly took jump numbers and age against me. He's a very experienced jumper and told me he and others should have nothing against me.
Na' Cho' Cheese

I did read the entire thread. There is nothing wrong with being 15.

I do think there is something wrong with being immature and doing tandem vids at 250 jumps, and being 170 under a Stiletto 120 at 250 jumps. So do the manufacturers of the tandem equipment and your Stiletto.

I'll wait and see... no mind.. carry on. Good luck. :S

I still think your mentors are crazier than a three legged monkey for letting you do what you are doing.