packing_jarrett

Docking on tandems

Not to lead the thread astray, but DSE... didn't you only have about 100 jumps before you changed your profile to read "1"? And you're already floating tandems and shooting video? Or did you get to 500 jumps quickly? Not trying to stir anything up, I'm just curious if this is a pot/kettle situation.

Read his post... DSE didn't say anything jumping with tandems himself... Just with RW jumpers... and he's not willing to get close.

I am willing to get close to RW jumpers... I'm not ready to jump with paying tandem customers (especially since I don't have the required jump numbers...)

I've gotten a lot of pointers to do RW video (which is what I primarily want to do...) and it turns out that about 6-8 ft almost vertical of a 4-way team is about ideal and it's definetely a lot of work to stay with them.

I don't have any pointers for tandems but I've learned a lot about where I need to be to shoot RW in the past few months... B| I've had lots of help too... :)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Read his post... DSE didn't say anything jumping with tandems himself... Just with RW jumpers... and he's not willing to get close.

I was just drawing it from this bit:

One occasion, I saw with my own eyes, a guy with over 10,000 jumps get seriously hurt being in the wrong place near a tandem.

I probably read too much into it. Regardless, don't want to lead the thread astray.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

I was just drawing it from this bit:

One occasion, I saw with my own eyes, a guy with over 10,000 jumps get seriously hurt being in the wrong place near a tandem.

I probably read too much into it. Regardless, don't want to lead the thread astray.

ok... I guess I read more or less as he was at the dz when it happened... or something along those lines... not that he was actually in the sky with them...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

This is a funny thread...thanks for the laughs everyone.
Is the memorial dive planned yet?

Lets hope we get goodvideo :D

:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

just because i'm bored i felt i'd add my worthless half a cent.
being a TM, i already fear for my student's life and take great care in ensuring their safety. second to that is my own, as i feel every student strapped to me is essentially attempting to kill me. add a cameraman, don't get butt hurt when i tell you to F off if i feel you are unsafe or inexperienced. i could care less who the DZO is, or the camera flyer. it's MY call as the TM. i'd much prefer a handcam to a close call.

so if TMs are allowing jarret to film them, that is their problem, not mine. i believe it is up to the most experienced person on the jump to decide what is and what is not going to happen in the plan.

personally, i think newer jumpers aspiring to be tandem videographers are just lame. have you ever watched a tandem video? bleh!:P

Read again what I wrote. I'm not EVER around tandems. Ever. One jump, I was around 300 feet away, and that was unintentional (they got out quickly and fell fast)
I jump with friends that know me well, and never am closer than 30 feet. Ever. The jump with the 10k guy, was one I hired video for used for a publicity purpose for the pax. I wasn't near them in the air, just on the same load.
In other words, I'm working on my body flight, and keeping smooth movements, not working on getting close.
Never flown with a tandem, and don't expect to for a long, long (add a few more "longs" in there if you want) time.:)Not remotely a pot/kettle situation, AFAIC.
[edited for spelling/punctuation]

just because i'm bored i felt i'd add my worthless half a cent.
being a TM, i already fear for my student's life and take great care in ensuring their safety. second to that is my own, as i feel every student strapped to me is essentially attempting to kill me. add a cameraman, don't get butt hurt when i tell you to F off if i feel you are unsafe or inexperienced. i could care less who the DZO is, or the camera flyer. it's MY call as the TM. i'd much prefer a handcam to a close call.

so if TMs are allowing jarret to film them, that is their problem, not mine. i believe it is up to the most experienced person on the jump to decide what is and what is not going to happen in the plan.

personally, i think newer jumpers aspiring to be tandem videographers are just lame. have you ever watched a tandem video? bleh!:P

Have to agree with ya. I hate watching videos of younger jumpers shooting tandem videos. Pisses me off knowing that these people have just paid good money for shit. Learn on your own money not the customers. If at 200 jumps you can shoot great tandem video then that is awesome,
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

so if TMs are allowing jarret to film them, that is their problem, not mine.

It's also the tandem students problem.

I really don’t know the answer to this but perhaps someone here does, so let me shoot a hypothetical question:
Let’s say this DZ were jumping a certain type of tandem rig and the owner of the company who makes the equipment were to read this thread and decide to take action for the DZ not adhering to the safety standards required for them to use the gear. Even though the gear had been paid for can the gear be repossessed or would there just be some sort of fine? What would happen to the license of a TI who knowingly allows an unqualified individual to shoot video in freefall with them? If there were an accident involving an unqualified videographer, who would be liable in court? The DZO? The TI?

At Any Rate:

Does everyone remember when they still had a "teen" at the end of their age? It might be further in the past for some but we were all there once. I know when I was there no one could tell me shit; I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof not to mention infallible. When I was a teen, there was nothing I was not absolutely perfect at, no need for humility when perfection is the game eh?

I suspect the young man who started this thread is enjoying the attention.

There is nothing that we can say to change his course so let’s hope and pray that he never injures or kills anyone including himself and he becomes the ultra awesome slice of perfection he sees when he looks in the mirror. USA could use some gold at the world meet.

So even though I do not agree that you should be flying with tandems (not because you are a youth but because you do not have the jump numbers to do it by the book) just know that I am pulling for ya Jarrett, just keep it safe ok? Please just consider not jumping with tandems until you are qualified (by the book) and take some time to work on your skills – I certainly do not doubt that you have the skills you claim but if god forbid there should be an accident your ass will be covered. If there is any way I can assist you in becomming safer and better please do not hesitate to PM me, I am willing to share any knowledge I possess with you.

We were all there once and sometimes still are...
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

This discussion goes way beyond wether Jarret is OK docking on tandems or not. For instance:
Here in Oz you are leagally allowed to jump with a camera and jump with tandem at C-licence (100 jumps). It then comes down to your Chief instructor and the individual TM. Most USPA jumpers in this discussion seems to think Jarret has no business jumping with tandem at 200 jumps, is that because of his jump numbers or his on-line attitude (apart from the whole hanging-on-the-tandem-to-not-float thing>>>)?
When are you OK to jump with tandem? 200? 300? 400? beyond? Wheras I know I am bringing up a general point, and prolly should start a separate thread, please come back to me. Beacause I also want to mention that if anyone lists "FIRE!!!" as their intrest in their profile, then.....

It's never too late for a low turn!

When are you OK to jump with tandem?

When you skill level is equal or above that which is both advised and concidered manditory(from a safety standpoint) by the manifactures of the tandemgear used..?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have been watching this discussion with amazement and being both a TI and cameraman cannot believe some of the comments..
There’s a big difference between docking on a tandem and using the tandems as leverage.
If you haven’t got the skill keep out of the way and don’t put the TI and his passenger at risk because you haven’t got the ability to fly the slot.
I have been in the position when a DZ owner has wanted to send up a inexperienced guy with a camera to try and get the video and I wouldn’t allow it as the TI it’s my responsibility to look after the student and me.
I’d rather stay on the ground and let some other fool risk his life because that’s what they are doing.

Just a quick reminder . . . to the entire group.

No personal attacks and YOU are responsible for what you write on this Forum.

If you open the door, be prepared for what comes at you from the other side.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You don't know him and haven't jumped with him. You don't know if he has the skills to video tandems. He is a third generation jumper with better skills in freefall than alot of people with hundreds more jumps.
If you never fall down you aren't trying hard enough.