packing_jarrett

Docking on tandems

please tell me your jump numpers are a joke., If you only have 200 jumps you have no fucking business being in the air with a tandem. Also, if you can't dock with a tandem you have no business being in the air with a tandem..
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

no dude my numbers aren't a joke. After filming tandems all day on monday I now have exactly 200 jumps. I now have business being in the air with tandems. I'm sure more people would of agreed with you if you would have seen me dock on a tandem when I only had 50 jumps. I think you misread my post I CAN dock on a tandem. I just can fly 140 MPH on my belly. I can sitfly with out corking but it will take my time before I'll put it into pratice with a tandem. Except I did it once and it didn't turn out so good. It was like jump 150 or something. It wasn't paid for so I did it for fun. I have the video if your interested on how I did at 150 jumps. Email if you want to see.
Na' Cho' Cheese

so we're all agreeing that docking on the tandem is not such a good idea. Not that its dangerous

Uh, yes because it's dangerous! As a TI from what you have described to me I personaly would not let you video me in freefall. You do not meet the minumum qualifications to film tandems nor have the freefall skills to do so safely if you cant stay down with the faster ones. Please Please Please do not use tandems for freefly practice!!!!! I dont want to hear about this in the incident forums. B|

Instructional Rating Manual
Section 4-5: Video and Camera

3. Minimum experience qualifications
a. 300 group freefall skydives
b. 50 jumps flying camera with experienced jumpers

dude wtf? I never said, "I'M GOING TO USE TANDEMS ON MY FREEFLY PRACTICE." what I said is I'm going to practice my freefly skills BEFORE I freefly while chasing tandems. Dude you don't know me. You've never jumped with me. You don't know what I can and can't do.

Part B: 50 jumps flying a camera. I've done that.
Na' Cho' Cheese

It's very cool to see most of you guys are (just a few exceptions) trying to give "flying technique" advice.
But this dude has ONLY 200 jumps!!! He has no F#$@ business to fly with the tandem period!
I would say go and learn to skydive for at least for 300 more jumps (RelativeWorkshop recommends 500 RW jumps minimum)
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

...do you have any problem swooping yor Velocity too?

why are you saying I have no business jumping with tandems? I have more RW skills than some people have with 500 jumps that RWorkshop recommends. I guess I'm a big exception to the rule.

I don't have a velocity. but I can swoop the hell out of my stiletto.
Na' Cho' Cheese

I don't have the experience or knowledge to comment on the issues in this thread, but this whole thing just feels like an incident waiting to happen. But I imagine your DZO and S&TA know you better than I.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

It's very cool to see most of you guys are (just a few exceptions) trying to give "flying technique" advice.
But this dude has ONLY 200 jumps!!! He has no F#$@ business to fly with the tandem period!

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this: i've seen this dude around the forums for a while and as i understand it his old man is a DZO (iirc). He's also already filming tandems, i would guess with the consent of either his old man or the TI that he's flying with.

Now while i don't agree with what he's doing there's no ways anyone on the internet shouting at him is going to make him stop. Thus i'd rather see experienced camera guys give him advice that keeps him out from under a tandem or off the TI's back and away from the drogue.

Just my 2 cents. Flame away.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I bet you're right PJ. He may not be 15, but he acts like it. (At least his responses sound that way --- nya, nya, nya, you don't know me ...yada, yada, yada)

He may be a hot shot flyer, but he needs a LOT of maturing. I guess, I'll stop before I get drug down to that 15 year old mentality. ;) Must go to DZ anyway, I have tandem jumps to do.:)

steveOrino

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this: i've seen this dude around the forums for a while and as i understand it his old man is a DZO (iirc). He's also already filming tandems, i would guess with the consent of either his old man or the TI that he's flying with.

Now while i don't agree with what he's doing there's no ways anyone on the internet shouting at him is going to make him stop. Thus i'd rather see experienced camera guys give him advice that keeps him out from under a tandem or off the TI's back and away from the drogue.

Well I do understand your point.
200 jumps used to be a "D" lic., now it's 500.
RWS and strong say 500 jumps min.
USPA says 300 min.
So at some point he has to learn to do it.
Where we don't see eye to eye here is, just because his dad is a DZO is no reason to cut him slack on the rules.
His posting seems to show an attitude like " I guess I'm a big exception to the rule. " And " I have more RW skills than some people have with 500 jumps"

While that maybe or it may be a case of a bighead and ego. And no one telling him no due to the fact his dad is the DZO.
He posted a question and it seems he don't like the answers he is getting, I'm sure your right, he will keep on keeping on with what he is doing.

If and or when we read about him, he won't be the first self proclaimed hot shot big exception to the rules skydiver in the sport who thinks they can do as they please and fuck what the rules say.

I've seem um come and seen um go, the last hot shit know it all I seen go you also couldn't tell anything to after a few ratings and 1000 jumps, well he killed a TI last year by not following the rules as well.

So what are we to do about it? Provide the info and advice, and if some one don't like what they read/hear their going to do as they please anyway and there is nothing we can do about it as long as "DADDY" and the rest of the gang let it happen, if your one of the "gang" and you get take'n out by this self proclaimed big exception well sorry about your luck, you should have taken a stand and said NO!

Packing Jarrett-

Sorry kid not trying to bash you at all, your right I don't know you or jump with you, but you got a lot of growing up left to do maybe you should step back and look at the big picture, slow down a little, learn some more be the best you can be and don't let a big ego write a check your ass can't cash.

50 camera jumps ain't shit, when you have 500 or 1000 of them and are standing on the other side of the fence, some self proclaimed big exception is going to come along and then you will understand better what and why others have said what they said to you, as you find your self repeating the same things once told to you by others.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

He may be a hot shot flyer, but he needs a LOT of maturing. ;) Must go to DZ anyway, I have tandem jumps to do.:)

I have to agree with you here bro, ten fold.

ps. You bastard! (about the tandems i mean ;))

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

so we're all agreeing that docking on the tandem is not such a good idea. Not that its dangerous but just the fact that a video can turn out bad. I don't take anything against it I agree. I'll find another suit granted the one I'm using is not the best. I do freefly a little when the situation is right. I should spec some tandems to get some practice.

No we aren't agreeing that. I think its unsafe if you don't know what the hell you are doing and it doesn't sound like you do. I don't care that you are a dzo brat.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The reason I'm saying it becouse I'v seen a lot,
apperently more than you did
200jumps... If you had those special, above the average RW and flying skills YOU WOULD NEVER HAD to start this discussion thtread, becouse YOU WOULD HAVE KNOWN the ANSWEAR already.
But you asked a question about a very basic flying skill, so that justifies you still don't have enough knowledge to fly with the tandem.

...the choice of the canopy isn't a best either...
to fly a parachute requires balls, not knowledge.
you should get a Velocity-75 (this is just a sarcastic joke!!!)

The next one I got the advice to dock on it and use the tandem as leverage to keep the speed up.

Who the fuck told you that? I can't imagine that anyone qualified to give advice would say that. The level of stupidity involved in coming up with that line of thinking is hard to believe.

That fact that you never thought of arching harder, or strapping on a weight belt is hard to believe.

Ever hear of freeflying?

A faster suit?

Just letting a better or heavier camera flyer handle the big boys?

Take a minute and think about what I just wrote. All or most of these things would immediately occur to a guy who had his shit together, and deserved to be shooting his mouth off about his skills the way you were.

Look bro, there's no crime in being young, or inexperienced. EVERYONE was there at one time, no exceptions. Take a few hints from the guys who made it past there, and can look back and remember those times, and compare them to where they are now. They've got all kinds of perspective that you can't even fathom.

Open your eyes and ears, and by all means, when shooting any video involving anyone without a skydiving license, keep your hands to yourself.

why are you saying I have no business jumping with tandems? I have more RW skills than some people have with 500 jumps that RWorkshop recommends. I guess I'm a big exception to the rule.

I don't have a velocity. but I can swoop the hell out of my stiletto.

I don't have anything of value to add to what's being said to you Jarret, but I'll say this:
One occasion, I saw with my own eyes, a guy with over 10,000 jumps get seriously hurt being in the wrong place near a tandem.
Watched video of a tandem jump that had just come down, similar situation. Cameraman had over 3k jumps.
If the first guy hadn't had more than 10k jumps, he wouldn't have had the right instincts. He probably would have ended up hurt a lot more than he was, and same for T/I and pax.
Second guy, same exact story, but he didn't have the instinct. The T/I saved all three of them from injury.
At 15, I know the world seems like it belongs to you, but there have been hundreds who have gone down this road before you. Last week I jumped with a kid that practically lives in a tunnel that his relatives manage. He's a great freeflyer. He sprained his ankle on landing. I forgot to mention he just got off AFF status. Having one set of experiences doesn't nullify requiring others.
I'm a fantastic cameraman on the ground. I could teach you things you can't even imagine you don't know. In the air, I just started jumping a camera, and I don't go within 30 feet in any direction of the RW jumpers I'm flying around, and never over. I don't plan on getting close for at least another 100 jumps, and even then...I might not. I'm smart enough to have someone else telling me what my skills are and aren't. Because even when I'm 30' away from others in belly flight, there are still lives at risk. My ground camera knowledge carries little benefit right now, and while that's exceptionally hard for me to currently accept, that's the way it is.
I'm a reasonably competent flyer for my jump numbers, but developing the instincts needed only come through humility and a lot of jumps. The second part is tough to achieve, but the first part is the most important, IMO.
While it's hard to have these guys pounding on you, you also need to accept that you're being cavalier. Being cavalier with your own life is stupid but understandable from a young adult. Being cavalier with anyone else' life is criminal.
You wanna be old? Or bold? Cuz you can't have both.

I'm having difficulty staying down with the heavier set of people doing tandems... All right the really fat ones, the ones that can hardly get in the airplanes, the 5'4'' 250 pounders. I had to do a few of those yesterday B|. While it took a lot of work for me because I'm like 140 out the door I got down there hardly played around. The next one I got the advice to dock on it and use the tandem as leverage to keep the speed up. I didn't even want to touch them but if it meant getting a "better" video then I would give it a try. I've seen it done before with not a very wide angle and it doesn't look good but I used a .3 and it turned out nicely. What are your views on using the tandems as leverage? When it was first mentioned it seemed like cheating but I guess what ever works. The video: Exit, fly fast to get down, dock, release, tandem spins, dock, release, back off, video opening.

If your RW skills are not sufficient to allow you to fly with them, relaxed, without any contact, you should not be doing tandem video. Period. You are creating a hazard!

You will understand this, if you live long enough.

Not to lead the thread astray, but DSE... didn't you only have about 100 jumps before you changed your profile to read "1"? And you're already floating tandems and shooting video? Or did you get to 500 jumps quickly? Not trying to stir anything up, I'm just curious if this is a pot/kettle situation.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

This is a funny thread...thanks for the laughs everyone.
Is the memorial dive planned yet?

Lets hope we get video :D
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?