Brains

suggestions?

You are not going to find too many people here that are great supporters of the hand cam.

Jeff, I did a similar setup on my FTP last year and it worked with great success. I've now moved to a landscape setup since it makes more sense for tandems and RW.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I've now moved to a landscape setup since it makes more sense for tandems and RW.

How did you make it all fit?? I tried several different ways, and it may be because of the video cam i am using. I have several plates that i made from aluminum plate. I might be able to go vert or landscape.:D Got any pics of it?

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The 10D is in the back left corner and the video camera is in the front right. I'm going to be adding a flash to the front once I can get money again. I'll take some pics of it later to post.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

I've got a similar FTP set up and arranged it so that the still base is facing the outside to avoid riser issues and the remote plug is on the bottom so that it's protected (just drilled through the top plate).

Other things that I did were:

1. mount the sight on the front and encase it in foam (to minimize snags, though if I had more time and patience, I would have mounted in inside the shell).

2. Made a foam cradle for the still (I just use a screw rather than a quick release because it cuts down on the weight and there's no reason to pull it off between loads since I can change film with it on).

3. Flush mounted the cam eye (be sure to mount it high enough so that the internal frame of the helmet doesn't press on it. I did mine a bit too low).

Is that a newer HC camcorder. If so, how are you goiing to dub without pulling it each time to stick it on a docking station. I use a box for this reason?

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

How did you make it all fit??

Here is one way.

I tried several different ways, and it may be because of the video cam i am using.

Could be your vid cam is to wide to do it as I have posted. Then again it might work ok.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Is that a newer HC camcorder. If so, how are you goiing to dub without pulling it each time to stick it on a docking station. I use a box for this reason?

No, it is a TRV19, i only need to take it off to change tapes. Also, i do not shoot tandems and won't unless the dz is just desparate. I shoot freestyle, freefly, and some rw stuff and fun hybrids etc. I do not work for a dz.

Could be your vid cam is to wide to do it as I have posted. Then again it might work ok.

I think that iwas the problem. I tried something similar to what you have there, i just felt uncomfortable with the amount of overhang with the still, it was way more than what you have there but i am going to try it again tonight and see what i come up with. Thanks.

Don't bother... I just picked up a TRV-19 to replace my broken PC-110. I am going to have to completly change my helmet since the TRV19 is wider and longer then the PC series. I can't put the TRV on with the stills anymore in my old lay out and the trying it like was posted puts uge amouts overhanging. Trying to decide if its worth it to redesign the helmet layout or if I shoupd just pick up another PC series... [:/]
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

It can over hang some as long as the over hang don't go past the out cropping of the ears or riser strike area.

I had a trv 525 set up the same way, it is twice as wide as your 19, it put the still over hang out some, but less then the riser strike area.

I copied JD Hill's set up at the time and talked to him a lot about it.
Good luck with the build.

~

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

The interest for me was in another way to take pictures/video and being diverse to overcoming a problem, it only shows that when people think that the only way to get great outside shots is to have a camera/video attached to a helmet as there are more places to put a camera than just on on ones head to shot great outside pictures, ie on the hand, belly, foot etc so don't just get stuck with your head in the box, and try to think outside of the square! Cheers Brent ;)

I've jumped cameras in some pretty wierd spots (rigged to the nose of the canopy through deployment, belly, etc) but thats not the point of this conversation.

Jeff, let me know if you can come up with a way to mount your TRV19 and 20D. I'm seriously looking at an old PC5 to jump for now to keep my set up and then moving to a Rebel XT since thats smaller then the 10D and I could move towards a HD/3CMOS cam next year then. and keep both in a Landscape mode.
Yesterday is history

Parachutemanuals.com

wow, sounds like you invented something new there.

Handy cams area rip off IMHO.

I personally think that if they are used, they should be used in addition to , not instead of, the outside video.
Eye eye eye captain B| put out another line I think there's fish biting B|