Brains

suggestions?

Not finished setting it up yet but i am looking for any suggestions on what i have so far. I have another plate for it that will have dual video cameras on it for competition. I am also working on a flash bracket but that will come later.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I'm not very familiar with top mounts with that configuration but does anyone ever have a problem with a riser snapping off the stills light?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm not very familiar with top mounts with that configuration but does anyone ever have a problem with a riser snapping off the stills light?

Stills don't have a light. :P They -do- however have a remote shutter release plug and cable.

I thought of pointing this out to the original poster, but to have that attachment protected he'd have to have the stills on the -other- side of the configuration and then -that- would have his Cameye exposed laterally.

A riser is more likely to slap on the side than on the top.

So, in short, he has the best set-up possible (with a vertical arrangement for his still camera).

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

i think maybe having the still camera flipped the other way would make more sense... this way the bite switch wire doesn't have to extend far from the top of the helmet to reach the port on the camera, and you can swap CF cards without removing the camera.

just a thought

Yes, I agree.

However, if the still camera is flipped the other way and still that side of the helmet (the bracket now on the outside instead of the top of the camera there), then you have the 'space' between the still camera and the bracket on the lateral (outside) of the helmet. -This- provides a space for a line to snag much easier.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

So, in short, he has the best set-up possible (with a vertical arrangement for his still camera).

I tried looking at all possible ways to mount the still on top and vertically with the least amount of snag hazards and possible camera damage. This was the best i could think of. I had my 20D mounted on the front of my other helmet, it is just so heavy that i wanted it on top with everything else.

Hi guys N gals!! Do yourself a favour and put a 3CCD high quality Camcorder on your hand or helmet and do away with the use of two cameras altogether, when just one super light weight camcorder (less than 400gms total weight) dose the job perfectly well with excellent video clarity and high resalution stills taken with the one camera, and do away with neck breaking weights and broken cameras due to possible riser strikes. :)

do away with the use of two cameras altogether, when just one super light weight camcorder (less than 400gms total weight) dose the job perfectly well with excellent video clarity and high resalution stills taken with the one camera

Except if I am not mistaken, you can shoot only video or only stills, and not both at the same time...
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

This is true, but when using the apple mac I-movie program to complie and edit your video product, you can then take still shots at this point and load them to your desktop, then drop them into I-photo and burn them to disk, or use them when making a DVD in the I-DVD program, all done on a 12" powerbook while sitting in the van, If I want to just make Photos then it only takes about 8 to 10 min's to complete a finished photo CD product, which can then be used by the customer for printing at a later date with excellent clarity ;)

unless you go to HD the resolution is going to be the same (pretty poor for prints)
the 3CCD will probably have nicer colours.

i doubt you could get bigger than 5x7
the HC3 can take 3 'proper' stills while shooting video.
frame grabs are 4 time higher res than DV, but there are considerations of the HDV format to take into account.

Year G'day saltydawg, I have used I-Movie to complete the editing a great promo, then sent it back to the camcorder as a finished product, at the time I was using my old Sony PC9 plugged in via firewire, all worked perfectly, for later down loading onto different media. cheers brent

It's all my fault, I'm so sorry to take this thread away from the vidiots with there brains wrapped in plastic and no necks [:/] been there and done that B| So developed Hand cam back in early 1996 ;) mainly due to the pain and hurt the brain and neck received from to many smacka's during opening shock. now I better hide cause here come the flamers :| yahoo.

I'm so sorry to take this thread away from the vidiots with there brains wrapped in plastic and no necks [:/] been there and done that B| So developed Hand cam back in early 1996 ;) mainly due to the pain and hurt the brain and neck received from to many smacka's during opening shock.

I can see your point, it is easier when you compare pictures.:)

I'm so sorry to take this thread away from the vidiots with there brains wrapped in plastic and no necks [:/] been there and done that B| So developed Hand cam back in early 1996 ;) mainly due to the pain and hurt the brain and neck received from to many smacka's during opening shock.

I can see your point, it is easier when you compare pictures.:)

I agree with Brains here.. there is a market for handcams for sure and there is a use for it.
They are fun videos cause they are up close, personal (talking under canopy) and all that.. but they do not come close to the quality of a video shot by a camera man with "lots of stuff on his head"

also.. how are you going to judge freeflying with a handcam? or skysurfing? or bigways?

More on topic.. I like the helmet setup Brains! looks very clean with everything on top..

also.. how are you going to judge freeflying with a handcam? or skysurfing? or bigways?

Or Freestyle;):D

More on topic.. I like the helmet setup Brains! looks very clean with everything on top..

Thank you, if i could only get one of those coolio flash brackets like yours I'd be set.:D I am working on something similar though.;)

I have almost that exact same setup -
except with my Video in a d-box, and I have gussets on the bracket that protect my still a little.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

There is no comparision in pictures within the business world when one opens there mind to giving total customer satisfaction and then offers the total package with a 100% success rate. :ph34r: and also now totally removes personal neck injury from the equation. :)

I really hope your company isn't selling these... things as "stills" if so
1. thats false advertising
2. thats just disgusting.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO comparison between a shitty frame grab and a high quality 8MP or 12MP still taken from a dedicated DSLR.

Shame the whole business is more into bums on seats than REAL customer satisfaction.

Cheers,
Jason.