Zeemax

final cut pro

Ok, i have final cut pro and i've, er, lost the manual, that um, came with it... ahem... Yes, that'll do.

Anyhew... I'm trying to teach myself how to use it and have already come a bit of a cropper.

Is there a way to preview the transitions before you put them in the time line? Even to just see what they do?

So far all i can work out what to do is drop them into the time line, then render them, then see what it looks like. there must be an easier way to do this?

Also, if anyone has any nice tips on how to use it, yes i know its a massive programme, i'd be very greatful!!

If it helps, which it wont, i can swap final cut pro info for pro tools information (i'm a fully trained digi operator)
Macca :)
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

46mb Manual.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Final_Cut_Pro_5_User_Manual.pdf

Check out here, you need to sign up to post, it's free. great forums, I had a Q that was answered in about 15 minutes.
http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

As for tips, just keep playing with it, there's so much you can do with this program, wouldn't know where to start :P
Also, if you can "find" it, get Motion2 ;) Great for all of the menu's, cool effects, title's etc.

Cheers,
Jason.

For all of you Mac users out there using iMovie and Final cut pro, are you using laptops? Supposedly desktop computers are better and don't be bogged down as much as laptops and this is significantly noticable among PC's. But in the wonderful world of Mac computers, are laptops decent for the video editing?? If so, what model laptop are you using?
Thanks.
CJ

The professional laptops of the current generation [read: MacBook Pro] are equal in power to last generation's professional desktops [read: dual ~2GHz Power Mac]. With enough RAM, you can cut true high definition or 2k+ DI on a [professional] laptop without difficulty.

The consumer [read: MacBook] laptops are fast for their price and are more than capable of editing at speeds most equate with desktops. A current generation consumer laptop [MacBook] will be in the same range as a previous generation consumer desktop [iMac G5].

So there is always a slight difference in power. The Power Mac G5 Quad is still significantly more powerful than the top of the line MacBook. It's not that one can't do the work quickly on a MacBook, it's just that you can do it outlandishly fast on a Power Mac. Once the Power Mac becomes the Mac Pro [read: Intel chips], it'll be even more ridiculous.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

As Brook points out in the post above, the new generation of Macs with Intel processors are very capable machines.

Year before last I edited our club's year end video on my 800 mhz G4 iMac and a 1ghz iBook. Obviously slower when rendering, etc....but they performed like champions.

For ordinary DV I can only imagine the MacBooks, MacBook Pros and Intel iMacs totally rock!
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I've got a MacBook Pro 15" (Intel) 2Ghz 2Gig RAM, I run Final Cut Studio and edit SD video.
I was actually amazed at how fast this laptop is, extremely impressed.
I'd only ever edited on a PC before so I was basically hoping it would be what I wanted, it definately is.
Amazing machine, great software, just a shame it takes up 40gig of hardrive space, haha.
I'll never edit on a PC again.

Cheers,
Jason.