freefalle

Alright, I need some video camera advise

I admit, I'm not the most advanced when it comes to video camera. My trusted PC100 gave up this weekend at the boogie. I have decided to replace it rather than have it repaired which brings me to my question. I need some advice, my budget is tight probably no more than 600.00 or so. What is a good camera that I can get for around that much. I use a top mounted helmet, but I would like something that I can also use when I have to shoot handy-cam for video. Please don't reply with use the search, I already did and I'm more confused than a nursing baby in a strip bar. thanks

Chuck, I use HC90, best quality you can get without going 3-chip or HD, both of which will cost you over $600.

The successor to the HC90 is the HC96, available on dbuys.com right now for $604, shipped.

If the video quality is not that important, you can save a bit more money by going to HC3x or 4x series, but the newest models in those series do NOT have LANC ports. The 96 does, as far as I know.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I use a TRV 19, i have it top mounted and it is small like the PC series, i don't know about using it for a handcam, but i have seen people side mount it also. It isn't as small as an HC series like Matt mentioned though. I just got one off ebay for 175.00 shipped.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

If the video quality is not that important, you can save a bit more money by going to HC3x or 4x series, but the newest models in those series do NOT have LANC ports. The 96 does, as far as I know.

I have a HC 36 and it does come with a lanc port. The 26 do as well I'm pretty sure. Great quality for tandems and cost under $300 brand new off ebay.

I have a HC 36 and it does come with a lanc port.

Are you sure it's not a HC32? I have not seen a 26, 36, or 46 in person, but I have heard more than once that they ALL lack LANC ports, while the 32 and 42 did have them. When they moved from "x2" to "x6", only the "9x" series retained the LANC. This is very noteworthy.

The search on this site is still screwed up, but I know I have read several people on here saying they saw the 36/46 in person with no LANC. I managed to find this, this, and this using Google. And in the 3rd link, there is a post by you saying you have a 32.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

As far as the majority of the DZ's in the US, do they all have there own editing rooms and editing equipment? What are the chances that there are skydiving videographers who use all of their own equipment to make there videos? As a newbie who will shoot video one day, would it be benificial for me to have my own laptop and editing software? Also I'm sure most of you are using camera's with the miniDV cassette. Is this correct?
Thanks for your input
CJ