popeyefireman

gear questions

just some gear questions for a new guy. I just went out and bought my own gear and wanted to know some things.

Is it okay to take your altimeter on a com airline? does the 30000+ altitude mess it up?

Do you ever have to wash your rig and how?

How can you tell if you need new lines?

Does the rig go carry on or checked?

What info should I keep in case it gets stolen?

I know I have more, just can't think of them. I will come back and ost them when I can. I know they sound like stupid questions, but remember there is no such thing. Please be nice.

"I Yam what I Yam"

I am not afriad to die, only to die without living.

I think I know answer to Q1:

Commercial aircraft cabins are pressurized, i.e. your alti would not show 30 K I think. If I remember right the cabins are pressurized to something equal to something like 6 K.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Is it okay to take your altimeter on a com airline? does the 30000+ altitude mess it up?

Sure. I carried mine in my carry on bag. It stayed at zero. I thought it was broken. Then I remembered cabin pressure... Worked fine when I got there.

Do you ever have to wash your rig and how?

Try hard to keep it clean. Keep it in a gear bag/duffel, don't biff your landings ;). Ask your rigger about cleaning the container if it gets real dirty.

How can you tell if you need new lines?

That's easier shown than explained. Talk to your rigger.

Does the rig go carry on or checked?

Up to you. I've heard horror stories either way. I've done both with no problems.

What info should I keep in case it gets stolen?

Pictures of each item, serial numbers, color patterns, invoices. Keep these seperate from the gear!

Please be nice.

I'm always nice. Except when I'm mean. :ph34r:

Wash your rig when you get it dirty. Easiest way is to take it to your rigger to have it done, since you have to disassemble the rig totally, wash it (various methods) then have it reassembled and repacked.

Carry on or checked?

Ever loose luggage? How much was it worth? Now how much is your rig worth? That should answer it.;)

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When the difference across the A lines exceeds 3 inches, consider re-lining. Also consider replacing the steering lines when they have shrunk more than 4 inches. When in doubt consult a rigger who has a copy of the factory trim chart.

check out the pictures on my site at this link

http://www.sidsrigging.com/skydivers/skydivers_index.htm

old gear doesn't have to be dirty gear, just don't try this at home (in other words get your rigger to do it).

Sid
www.sidsrigging.com
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?