Brains

Converting RAW images to jpg?

I only shoot in RAW for many reasons and I've become pretty comfortable with editing/converting them. It can be slow though. I went through 800 RAW shots from a friends soccer game which took me a couple hours to sort/edit/convert. The program I find the best for my personal taste is Raw Shooters Essentials (it's free, with is always my personal taste;)). After I played with RAW for awhile I realized how much more one can get from a picture, even a picture that is perfectly exposed can sometimes use some tweaking.

What sucks about the Rebel XT is you cant extract the RAW files with the loaded software through the camera. You have to buy a card reader to get the RAW files off.. >:(

Not so, unless they've changed the software package... the software will pull the photos off via USB cable.

I got a lemon then, because my USB cable will only remove the .JPG on my XT, BAH.. (doesn't really matter since I have a card reader, but it figures...)

Plug the cable into the camera, then in the Canon software you have to connect to the camera (it's not the actual Canon Photo Pro, but the other app... can't recall the name). That prog connects to the camera and pulls the RAW files. You can then open them with Canon Photo Pro.

I'll doublecheck all that tonight when I'm back at the room and post again tomorrow morning with the app names and procedure.

Thx for the info.. I have tried all things and the RAW will not pull off through the USB cable on my XT. I use my MarkIIN to pull the XT RAW files off of the card anyway (markIIn has firewire so I prefer it anyway). I don't know why my XT software wont do it, but that is the only problem with it and since I only use that camera for jumping and use another camera to pull off the RAW's it doesn't really bother me. Thx though..

If I remember right (I don't have any photos on the camera currently) - you use the "connect to camera" option in DPP. That uses the EOS File Viewer app to pull the RAW files onto the computer, and from there you can use DPP to do your editing and conversion.

Or... spend the $10 and get a USB card reader... MUCH faster than pulling off the camera via USB cable!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ouch!!

Ok... try this program. It's well-liked by photographers and is free!

Depending on the photoprocessing software you use, Adobe Camera Raw is an option as well (I don't know if it works with PS Elements or not). That's what I currently use and I'm well-satisfied with it.

Capture 1 Pro is another option, as well, and also well liked by photographers...

Good luck!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706