Brains

Converting RAW images to jpg?

I shot a bunch of raw image pics this past weekend and i can't seem to get them to download on my pc. Anyone have any simple suggestions? I am pretty much computer illiterate.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Before you convert the RAW images to anything else you might want to learn a bit more about them....my head is hurting since I got my new Nikon D70S and had to start learning about RAW.

The ability to adjust for shadows, highlights and midtones before converting to another format is very incredible. I have the Adobe Camera Raw and it is very neat to play with the sliders to see how much shadow detail there is and then play with the highlights...it's like being able to burn in and dodge in film terms and is important that you do that before converting to another file format which will do its own adjustments that you have no control over.

I know that there are many on here that can explain this better or point you to good information sources.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

My 350D came with Canon's version of Digital Photo Professional. A lot of people like Pixmantec's Rawshooter. There's a cut-down version (Essentials) available as a free download.

In a nutshell, these programs replace the camera's own internal RAW-JPG converter. The difference is that the camera's converter is fairly simplistic and offers limited scope for configuration. Also once it's done, it's done - you can't go back and have another go at changing the exposure, or the white balance.

With a PC based RAW-JPG conversion you get real time visual feedback on the changes you make, and you can correct the white balance, exposure, sharpening, contrast, etc in a lossless format. When you're done, you can apply these changes to a batch of photos and convert them to JPG.

Downside - RAWs are bigger than JPGs, and the workflow is more complex.

John

I like Rawshooter Essentials, especially as i do not have Adobe PSCS2 yet. Its simple to use and oce i have connverted to TIFF i can do the rest of the work in PS7.

In terms of post processing, RAW is definitely the way to go, however it does slow your camera down....
Never try to eat more than you can lift

workflow using RAW for me is to slow.

ok upon returning to the shop but when in the field at boogies its slow.

quick and dirty at events then post event with all the time then play with RAW on the best 10% of your pics

I shoot RAW/jpeg and use PICASA 2 on the road then CS2 POST EVENT

JUST MY 2 CENTS

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

You can batch convert Canon RAW (.CR2) files to jpg using Irfanview and the plugin pack on the Irfanview website... it won't do any adjustments, though.

It will also view the CR2 files without having to convert to jpg, very nice for doing a quick sort of your shots!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

that is good info and i will check that out. I downloaded the utility that came with the camera on my lappy last night and converted them all to jpg. I saved all the .cr2 files also so i can play with some levels before converting to jpg to see if i can clean some up and then play with them in photoshop too. I got a good one of Todd Spillers that i want to doctor a little. >:(:D

Get with me at Skyfest and I'll help ya out with the irfanview stuff...

I've gotten to where I'm using Adobe Camera Raw to do the initial adjustments and convert to .psd... works for me, anyway!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've gotten to where I'm using Adobe Camera Raw to do the initial adjustments and convert to .psd... works for me, anyway!

Will do Mike, i will have all my stuff set up in the camper so we can have a cold one and play with some pictures.B|

this thread is freaking me out. :| i just got my new canon rebel xt last night and i have a LOT to learn. :|

Liz, just shoot in large or large/fine and all will be good. It really isn't that hard to convert them now that i know how.:D

I only shoot in RAW for many reasons and I've become pretty comfortable with editing/converting them. It can be slow though. I went through 800 RAW shots from a friends soccer game which took me a couple hours to sort/edit/convert. The program I find the best for my personal taste is Raw Shooters Essentials (it's free, with is always my personal taste;)). After I played with RAW for awhile I realized how much more one can get from a picture, even a picture that is perfectly exposed can sometimes use some tweaking.

What sucks about the Rebel XT is you cant extract the RAW files with the loaded software through the camera. You have to buy a card reader to get the RAW files off.. >:(

You have to buy a card reader to get the RAW files off..

My laptop doesn't have a firewir port anyway, so i got a card reader to fit my PCM/CIA port. My work computer has card readers built in too so it isn't a big deal. Do you have a link to that free utility?B|

I only shoot in RAW for many reasons and I've become pretty comfortable with editing/converting them. It can be slow though. I went through 800 RAW shots from a friends soccer game which took me a couple hours to sort/edit/convert. The program I find the best for my personal taste is Raw Shooters Essentials (it's free, with is always my personal taste;)). After I played with RAW for awhile I realized how much more one can get from a picture, even a picture that is perfectly exposed can sometimes use some tweaking.

What sucks about the Rebel XT is you cant extract the RAW files with the loaded software through the camera. You have to buy a card reader to get the RAW files off.. >:(

Not so, unless they've changed the software package... the software will pull the photos off via USB cable.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Will do Mike, i will have all my stuff set up in the camper so we can have a cold one and play with some pictures.B|

Works for me... I'll bring mine with Irfanview and we'll muck about with it and Adobe Camera Raw...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I shot a bunch of raw image pics this past weekend and i can't seem to get them to download on my pc. Anyone have any simple suggestions? I am pretty much computer illiterate.:D

Aren't you glad you got in to this whole digital photography thing? :D:D:D

Action©Sports

Not so, unless they've changed the software package... the software will pull the photos off via USB cable.

I got a lemon then, because my USB cable will only remove the .JPG on my XT, BAH.. (doesn't really matter since I have a card reader, but it figures...)

I got a lemon then, because my USB cable will only remove the .JPG on my XT, BAH.. (doesn't really matter since I have a card reader, but it figures...)

Plug the cable into the camera, then in the Canon software you have to connect to the camera (it's not the actual Canon Photo Pro, but the other app... can't recall the name). That prog connects to the camera and pulls the RAW files. You can then open them with Canon Photo Pro.

I'll doublecheck all that tonight when I'm back at the room and post again tomorrow morning with the app names and procedure.
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You can batch convert Canon RAW (.CR2)

mine show as .CRW

from a 10D by the way...am I missing something?

Nah..just a different extension from the one the XT uses is all....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706