Squeak

2 out roof landing

Pull higher

yup, pull higher, ugly pants, lucky the reserve clipped the rooftop or he would have been good for a 8m freefall from the roof.

and stop blaming the vigil for the lowpull. It worked as advertised.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Looks like fun times at the Ranch.:ph34r:

1st: Stop trying to impress the chick with your "madskills backflying." Instead break off and track like the rest of the world.

2nd: Pull on time, don't blame the Vigil for you pulling low.

3rd: When you have two out, don't worry about your slider and how much noise it's making.

4th: The grass was a much better idea than the roof.

5th: PlayitAgain Sports has good deals on used gold clubs and bowling balls.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Classic case of a newbie with a camera, and the problems it can create. In this case, the problem was the desire to flm the opening of the other jumper.

Meanwhile, one look at the leg of the 'camera guys' jumpsuit reveals a baggy freefly type suit. One look at the girl reveals a skin tight jumpsuit. The end result is a drasitic difference in jumper size/weight, and it show when he tries to transition to his back and drops out several hundred feet. His lack of ability to remain stable aside, there was nothing to film as he was just too far away. A jumper who was not trying to 'get the shot' or 'impress the girl' might have realized ahead of time, but that was not this jumper.

Furthermore, when the other jumper on the two-way opens, there is no need to wave off or check your altimeter. The freefall portion of the jump is clearly over, move on and open a parachute as soon as safely possible.

As far as the rest of it goes, collapsing the slider and landing on the house were additional mistakes. In the end, this turned out fairly well and the jumper won't soon forget the cost of the repack and Vigil fire, and the embarrasment of landing on a house with an open front and back yard. Maybe he'll learn his lesson.

That said, a word to the fellas - the best way to impress a girl on the DZ is to do everything you can to ensure her safety, your own safety, and the general success of the jump. There's nothing wrong with an easy two-way with one dock where you share a smile or a kiss in freefall, and then follow it up with a safe, on time break-off, safe on-time openings, and safe on-target landings.

There is nothing you're going to do that is going to impress a girl to the degree that her pants will drop. Unless you're planning to land a wingsuit or track back in to the plane, nothing you do is going to have the desired effect. The jump in question would have been far more memorable (for the right reasons) if it was followed by a conventional breakoff, opening and landing. If you want to go the extra mile, how about land first and film her landing? That's a safe alternative, and of use in debriefing the jump.

Ok, so it's a gabled roof on a 2 story home. That's a bit sportier than a flat industrial roof!

TWO OUT:

The vid is a good example of how one's options are limited if one isn't at a DZ surrounded by fields.

He has the dilemma of how much to maneuver with a two out -- something he had to do if he wanted to actively go for the couple open back yards on the near side of the street rather than just taking whatever came up when flying straight.

Or there were the yards open to the right of the house he went for. I thought he could still have made a 90 right when crossing the street to go for those yards at the last minute -- but I see there's a flagpole that he'd have to miss.

Spotting the obstacles is a fun game here! For a moment it looks like he's going for the gap between the house and trees along the driveway -- but there one can see power lines crossing to the house. Houses have electricity, and unless you are in a modern subdivision with buried utilities, there are going to be power lines somewhere...

It's a good video to save to show newer jumpers to ask, "What would you do if you were in this situation...".

He's very lucky that last moment turn he made didn't put him legs first straight into the chimney.

PULL ALTITUDE:

Even after getting out of backfly, he keeps looking up at his friend, and finally has a good look at his alti, at 16 sec. While at first glance the alti looks like it is around 2k, if one takes an older Alti III (red to 2.5k, yellow to 3k) and puts it at the same angle with parallax, I think the needle is showing more like 1.6k - 1.7k. Other evidence of that sort of basement altitude is that when the alti flashed by in view at 10 sec, it looked like about 2.5k.

So no wonder that the alti is showing something in the 800 ft range (plus or minus a fair bit since it is fuzzy) when the reserve is starting to deploy above him. (And the alti looked more or less correctly zeroed, from views on the ground.) Maybe that's a bit higher than he expected the Vigil to fire, but we all know about the error that one can get from the burble going from belly to standup.

All this is just a complex way of saying he was not aware of his altitude and pulled low.

It is funny that he automatically stows the main slider, but at least he catches himself from popping the brakes.

This.

Dump the hideous suit.
Hopefully she was smart enough to not give it up to this guy.
She needs a second glove.

Is there any reason you would jump with only 1 glove? I hadn't noticed it at first and went back because of your comment. The glove is on her deployment hand, so that was not a consideration.

Thanks for the video Squeak. Interesting and educational. The powerlines were scary.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I would want to chop the main in that situation

What is the general consensus on this advice? I've been train not to do this and would be generally worried about a canopy wrap if I chopped the leading canopy.

I think this would make a bad situation worse.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I think that despite all the mistakes, the jumper does not deserve insults (specially on the youtube). :|

can't we stay a bit civilized ?

WRONG!

The title of the video is clearly blaming the Vigil fire for the whole thing. It's passing the buck and B.S.

Also, an enemy deserves no mercy. What is the problem Mr. Lawrence?

I think that despite all the mistakes, the jumper does not deserve insults (specially on the youtube). :|

can't we stay a bit civilized ?

I think he set himself up for the less than Rosie reception with his 'Fuck Vigil" comment...he made a few mistakes, buying the AAD wasn't one of them.

Ya gotta have a thick skin if you're gonna do stupid stuff, even more-so if you're going to blame your equipment!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

This person copped some serious flack at the DZ from instructors and senior jumpers for a litany of stupid decisions. Blaming the AAD is a clear case of lacking a sense of personal responsibility for those stupid decisions. The suit is a old hand-me-down (should have been put down). I wasn't there so I don't have a whole lot more info.

For any newer jumper watching this video please realize that there were a bunch of mistakes made on this jump. Particularly, take note that the canopies deploying a *long* way above the jumper and the amount of time in free fall should have indicated that pulling *NOW* was a priority. The jumper clearly didn't have altitude awareness which is job #2 (depending on how you look at it) and failed at job #1 as well - pull. Beyond that glancing casually at their alti below hard deck is just plain stupid. That this jumper ended up unhurt is an anomaly in this case given that there are so few places to land on that side of our DZ and the number of poor decisions made.

Here's a link to the USPA's guidelines on two out emergencies: http://www.uspa.org/SIM/Read/Section4/CategoryB/tabid/177/Default.aspx#914

This person copped some serious flack at the DZ from instructors and senior jumpers for a litany of stupid decisions

I hope THEY got grounded.

@33s they both blindly pass an open parachute and @42s she's still chasing him when he eventually realises he's nearly dead.
That puts her (at best) around the 2k mark and still terminal...

Scary video...although I think the "Fuck Vigil" is a vain attempt at humour, not a blame shift.