gofast_ER

Wide angle or no?

So I only have about 5 camera jumps so far. It hasn't really worked out they way I would have liked it to [:/]
Some people have suggested getting a wide angle lense. My thought going into this was learn without one and that would make me better in the long run. It is getting frustrating landing only to see blue skies on my camera though >:(
Should I just give in and get a wide angle or keep at it? Im thinking keep at it even if it's not going so great. Any sugestions?
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

What exactly is the advantage of not having a wide angle lens, in your eyes.

Distortion is about it in mine.
Can't get as close, need to be very 'spot on' in where the camera is pointing, Sh!t exit shots - being too close, can't film inside cam without one. etc. etc.

Cheers,
Jason.

I guess the best way to put it is this....when I wanted to learn to play guitar my dad made me start off with an accustic. That way I would build up finger strength. I guess I just dont want to become dependent on a wide angle lense to get a good shot. I think it looks better without one anyway. It's just kinda hard.
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

There are a handfull of people in skydiving who do not use a wide angle lens. They happen to be among the very best photogtaphers in the world.

Considering that I am not part of that club, I use a wide angle lens.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If you're not going to use a wide angle lens make sure the camera is sighted up very accurately.You'll also need to learn to keep your head on target and look around only using your eyes.Ensure the camera is zoomed out fully and tape up any buttons/switches to prevent a camera mal.(It's easy to accidentally zoom in when fitting your camera to the helmet)
Jumping without a w/a lens has certain advantages but if you want to get close then I'd suggest getting a w/a lens otherwise you'll feel like you're doing a solo because you've got to sit so much further back.
How about you go out and do a load more jumps with a camera on your head and experiment a load more too?
God gave men 2 brains,but only enough blood to fill one at a time....I can live with that.

Suggestion: Save a jump ticket or two and just walk around with your camera helmet on your head (this can be done anywhere, not just the DZ).

Practice shooting still objects, then moving ones (your dog or cat?). You'd be amazed how much this will teach you about depth from an object and accuracy.

However, remember when you get back in the air that you're there to save your life and your -real- objective is to PULL! :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

just out of curiosity, how many vidiots do you know that jump without a wide angle lens of some kind?
I personaly don't know anyone.

I shoot with 2 video cameras, one has a wide angle lens one does not. I think this poster is dead on about learning to shoot without a wide angle lens. lets face it, he's just starting out, hes not got a whole lot of jumps. NOT shooting with a wide angle lens allows him to learn to get video, while being a little further back from what he is shooting. As he improves his skill and his comfort level increases, he can move to a .05 and then progress down from there and he learns to fy closer to his subjects. IMHO, a wide angle lens helps get exits, and helps if you are flying in really tight with your subject wether its a tandem or a 4 way. I've got good video of a 4 way in full frame flying over the top without a wide angle lens and I was high on the team. I've got good tandem footage shot infront of a tandem without a wide angle lens.
I think his thoughts about not flying a wide angle lens until his skill improves is smart and safe.

Greg Gasson shoots without any wide angle lens at all on his video cameras. However, you MUST have a site of some kind to make that work.:)

That's not exactly true. You don't NEED a sight at this point. As a matter of fact, with your experience level, i would discourage it. What you should be focusing on right now, is your skydiving. I'm not saying don't jump a camera, but take things slow. Adding a sight will in-advertantly add workload, which you don't need. My suggestion, get yourself a .5 or .6 to help steady out your shot a little and maybe get a little more in frame. In addition, make sure your helmet fits properly and that it's snag points are at an absolute minimum (a cutaway system is always nice:), wear a hook knife, and hold off on the extra crap for a little while (i.e. status indicator, sight, still camera etc..) Once you start adding these, you have new checklists you'll be focusing on. You've heard of camera guys running out to the plane without their rig?? That's why! They were focused on the other checklists. Anyhew, A wide angle lens is no big deal. It's not really a safety issue unles you're getting too close to something that you shouldn't be. If you're flying conservatively, I'd say throw it on. I use one, most of the professionals I know in the sport use one too. Good Luck

"Try not! Do, or do not.... there is no try."
--Yoda

That's really good advice itdiver. I had my camera on for about half an hour a few weeks ago doing pratice pulls but didn't think to do that. Thanks a lot. That just might help out some. Also everyone eles. Good advice all around.
As for being preoccupied with my camera I don't think that's much of a problem. I landed and was so excitied thinking I might have actually gotten good video on that jump and when I went to turn off my camera I rememberd I never even turned it on. I was so caught up with gear checks and getting a good spot I just totally forgot the camera actually has to be turned on :S

I was so caught up with gear checks and getting a good spot I just totally forgot the camera actually has to be turned on :S

Along those lines, here is a -priceless- thread that lewmonst started. All I can say, gofast_ER, is....welcome to our world....:P Now go play safe. B|

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1435985;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

OUCH! quite a list. Well it's something I have wanted to do since my first tandem jump. It's been a long road (so far) and a whole lotta cash but my first 5 camera jumps (even though they all sucked) have been so much fun I wouldn't do anything different. (well, maybe I would get a better shot if I could :)
even though my video has been crappy, I don't regret the insane ammount of cash I have spent just to get started :)

I've switched to not using a wide-angle lens for filming a few months back. And it took some adjusting, learning to keep my head still, but it seems to be paying off..

When I'm doing dedicated video-flying, I'm getting much nicer videos freeflying and wingsuiting then I was before.

If your camera only has the function of 'flight recorder' (the way a lot of freeflyers use it) then I suggest you stick with a wide-angle lens..

If you want some amazing non-wideangle lens footage, buy Tim Porters DVDs (Timeflies 1 & 2) both are 100% non-wideangle footage, and the depth you get between the flyers, and the (back)ground is just amazing...(next to tim being an incredible flyer)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?