sgt_ludy

YOUR opinion on these lenses!

hi,

i recently bought a sony pc1000 and i´m looking for the right lens(es) to buy.
i want to film competition FF and tandems, and after doing lots of forum search on lenses, these 3 are in the finals.
please tell me what you think about it!
i´m from europe, so i don´t want to order from the US or Australia.

The x-dream lenses are the only with a 30mm thread, so no adapter ring needed, and they are very low-profile, no snagging danger, less stress on material... but they´re also the most expensive.
X-Dream OPtics 0.5 Centerline
http://www.xdream-optics.de/xdreamoptics.htm

A friend who jumps the Kenko 0.42 said that this lens covers everything from 0.3 to 0.7 because you can zoom and the camera still focuses. i never tried it, just relying on what he said. can this be?
Kenko 0.42
http://www.fotokoch.de/dynsearch/search.pl?search=kenko+weitwinkel&fields=4

or would a nice combination be better to change between freefly jumps and tandems (0.43 for FF, 0.5 for tandems?)
Kenko Set Fish-Eye + Wide Angle
http://cgi.ebay.at/Kenko-0-43x-Fischauge-0-5x-Weitwinkel-f-Camcorder_W0QQitemZ9732789515QQcategoryZ18612QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thanks for your answers!

We rent the Xdream, and everyone who uses them loves them. The footage we get from them looks outstanding.
Can't say I'm a fan of much than Kenko does, but bear in mind, my experiences with them are all ground-based.

I would go with the .43 fisheye +.5 wide kit.

That .43 fisheye is actually wider than the .42, almost as wide as some .3 lenses but leaves you bit of black on the corners (can be fixed with zooming in).

.42 is good lens too, except if your flying in the formation. My choice for tandems.

Never seen that .5 lens on anyone here and no experience with the x-dream so cannot comment on that.

i say kenko 0.42 however your freind tells you sh!t..

the lens is 0.42 theres no way you can use it as a 0.3 period...

Zooming whith a wide angel lense will get the picture blurry,inkluding 0.42 from Kenko.(spreaing full zoom)

However i have one myself and is happy about it.

I however would stil recomend to buy from Australis.. even living in europe;)

Getting a a lens whith out a step up ring has to be better no matter what..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

the lens is 0.42 theres no way you can use it as a 0.3 period...

Well, you "can" use it as a sort of 0.3 if you remove the Macro-part of the lens which will give you about as wide view as most of the 0.3 lenses out there, but this leaves you with huge black corners so the footage will be quite useless as can be seen from the attachments. For some reason the colors are reproduced much brighter this way, so I have to try to this setup with a little zoom so I get rid of the black corners.

Zooming whith a wide angel lense will get the picture blurry,inkluding 0.42 from Kenko.(spreaing full zoom)

But you can zoom to somewhere as far as 5x - 6x depending on the camera, which is a lot better than on some lenses.

I have the Kenko 0.43 with the step-up ring (on my Sony PC105), and I'm reasonably satisfied with it. It's not a great lens, but what can you expect for $65, right? If I were to order a lens again I would dish out some more money and get a higher quality 0.45 Liquid Lens or something similar.

Especially because I managed to mash the Kenko against the inside bar by the door on the way out last weekend, and now the focus ring on my camera is kinda broken. I can probably fix it, thankfully. Of course it's my own fault and a d-box or a flat lens would've helped in this case.>:(

In any case, if you're going to get one the three listed, get the flat one if you don't have a d-box; if you do, I'm not sure which is the best to use.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I managed to mash the Kenko against the inside bar by the door on the way out last weekend, and now the focus ring on my camera is kinda broken. I can probably fix it, thankfully.>:(

The footage was... very special! ;)
I hope you can get your cam fixed mate!

It sure tought me to get a box and a small lens.
Jan